Need a little guidance....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidice07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firefighter/Paramedic or Med School?
I am working as an EMT right now and enjoy the actual "real" ER calls we get. However, I, and others, feel I have the mental capacity to do something more. I am working on the undergrad and will be done with that next spring.

I enjoy a lot of things about the firefighter profession, but I want to be able to help people with a greater scope of practice (i.e. be able to do more than just start IV's and push some drugs).
Bottom line: I want to help people in my vocation choice but just unsure if my desire is really to go all the way to med school.
For those that are going doctor, what made you decide to take that route?
Is there anyone that has been in a similar position? Any paramedics that went to med school?
Whatever I choose, I want to be able to help in some part in doing medical work abroad, also. Disaster relief, mission trips, etc.
And I am not really considering PA School. I was able to shadow a PA in an ER and she did the EXACT same thing as the doctor, so I figure I might as well do med school for the increased pay and increased opportunities elsewhere.
I just want to hear some other people's stories and see kind of what the defining line was for their decision.
Thanks for the time peoples :thumbup:

G

Members don't see this ad.

Well it seems that you've taken a liking to the ER. In your case you could become a PA ( 3 years of learning) or a doctor ( 8 years w/EM residency). I'd say go ahead and shadow some more doctors and figure it out. Firefighting is a important career for our nation, but treating those harmed is also a important one. So do some soul searching :), you can't go wrong both ways if you truly love both professions.

In your case you could become a PA (3 years of learning) or a doctor ( 8 years w/EM residency)
PA would most likely be 4 years undergrad and a 2-3 year grad program so its probably going to be closer to 6-7 years of learning.

PA would most likely be 4 years undergrad and a 2-3 year grad program so its probably going to be closer to 6-7 years of learning.

I believe, in both instances, he was referencing post-grad timeframes.