Need a lot of advice

Started by Gospelsos
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gospelsos

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!
So I was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone with medical school experience. I am currently enrolled in Tidewater Community College in Virginia and am currently living in North Dakota. My parents are in the military and we have never lived in a single place for very long. I do not believe they will follow me to Virginia so I need to know my options.
I know I have to transfer to a 4 year university and take the prereqs there but I am worried about whether my credits will transfer outside of Virginia.
Also wont it be better if I stay in Virginia and build an infrastructure with the doctors there by shadowing and volunteering rather going to Virginia and then leaving. I had really high grades in high school even a 4.0 in my sophomore year and above 3.5 in the others taking the challenging classes. I am pretty confident in my ability to handle the work and its been a dream of mine to become a doctor its just I am kind of stuck in a sort of limbo and I dont really have a good plan. I am still just a freshmen at TCC but I feel like I am running out of time.

Sorry for the wall of text 😀
 
Hey! I'd just like to say real quick that this part of the forums are usually for HS/pre-college students so it'd be best next time to get your pre-med topics in to Pre-Allopathic (Or Pre- Osteopathic, whichever path you choose) for a more accurate answer!

Though for transfers, ask a college out-of-state if they'll accept CC credit in Virgina. I'm not sure if other states accept or not.

I'd say, since you're already in college that it'd be in your best interest to stay in this state and look for a uni in VA, should it be that you could not transfer credits.

Again, that's just my input as only a HS student, but for future reference again, it'd be best to ask pre-med questions in the Pre-Allo/Osteo forums 😀 Though you will get some college answers here and some Pre-meds answering here.

Good luck on your decision, and welcome to SDN!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, what you could do is what to see if a Pre-med will stop by and answer or ask for a mod to move it rather than re-creating it.

Also, you could search answers for some really general questions like "Are CC credits transferable out-of-state?" on the search bar above, in case no one really has the answer for you here.
 
Nice to see Virginians here.. I went to undergrad around the block from TCC and William and Mary.

In general VA has great state schools. They're more likely to accept you since you have some investment in the state, so I would consider Tech/UVA/W&M/JMU depending on your grades this year. Aim high and do well; if you're going to transfer you want it to be to the best place possible.

It doesn't matter if you have an 'infrastructure' of contacts as much as it does that you showed some volunteer/shadowing.