Need a New Yorker's input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a question. I love NYC but i dont think i would enjoy living there. so my question is... what are some good (safe, chill, clean) areas near the city that is nice to live in?

Members don't see this ad.

whoops this was meant for the pre-dent forum... is there a moderator around that can move this

Set the stage -- where will you be studying/working? For instance, Columbia University Medical Center is very close to the George Washington Bridge (to New Jersey) and its bus terminal, so one could live somewhere like Fort Lee or Englewood and commute without losing much time.

It does depend if you are going to NYU or Columbia... if it is NYU, you could live in Brooklyn or Queens... there are safe, nice neighborhoods in those boroughs with great transportation that would get you to class quickly. I know a lot of NYU dental students live in Stuyvesant Town, which is in Manhattan but has a few parks scattered throughout the apartments, so you could easily take a walk or run and feel like you are in the park. For Columbia, you could live in Riverdale which is a very nice part of the Bronx (my sister lives there.)

What exactly don't you like about the city? There are parts of Manhattan that you wouldn't feel like you are in the city that much...places like Battery Park downtown is close enough to everything but has parks, and it's on the water...

does this help?