Need a second opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicynuggetfiend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm well through the application cycle and I'm holding onto a DO acceptance and waiting on two post-II MD's (from my state schools). Pretty much rejected from the rest of the 20 or so MD programs I applied to. I've also been working in a bioinformatics lab my gap year.

I met a physician (MD) in my lab, we hit it off pretty well because we both studied physics as undergrads. He told me multiple times that if I want to be a leader in a field of research in medicine that I should get my PhD. He told me he's had multiple opportunities lost because he didn't have the particular skill set needed to lead a project. I don't doubt him and I'm sure he's right.

He advised me however to put off medical school and enter into a regular PhD program first, and then apply to MD's afterwards. This would mean I would have to apply to graduate school, finish the degree, retake the MCAT (mine will expire by then), and reapply.

I would consider it, but I just feel it would be a pretty big risk: My research background is pretty strong, but my GPA is low (3.25 science, after a 3.9 in a career changer postbac) and with over 120 credits under my belt there's no way it's getting near a competitive level. I managed to get 519 on the MCAT, but I seriously doubt I could pull it off again in 5 years. I consider myself lucky enough to have had those two MD II's to begin with, and re-applying MSTP is obviously a moonshot. He thinks I would be a more competitive candidate for MD programs after I get my PhD and I would have no problem retaking the MCAT.

So my question to you: Has my ship sailed? I prefer an honest answer, I've come to terms with my situation. I like research, I could see myself loving being a physician scientist, but I just feel getting an MD/PhD in either route is beyond a realistic possibility.

Thanks!

PS: WAMC thread I posted last year in case you wanted more info on my app https://www-forums.studentdoctor.ne...school-list-3-3-ugpa-3-9-postbac-519.1206770/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are tons of MD-only physician scientists who are leaders in their fields. Getting a PhD makes the things that lead to having research-related skills requirements for graduating in a way that med school does not, but you can absolutely get those skills through continuing to pursue research as a determined med student (eg through HHMI fellowship), resident, and fellow. I'm not sure what happened to the physician in your lab, but they're one person -- and while they may be right about their experience, they're wrong about what's possible for you. And you've already been accepted somewhere (congratulations!).

No one on this forum is going to tell you that MD admissions gets easier for anyone after they've done a PhD. You've had a successful application process (again, congrats!) and I'm sorry you were made to second guess yourself, but it sounds like you're on the right track to me. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
If you want to continue on in biomedical science as a physician scientist you do not need to get a PhD. If you want to continue in basic science you will likely need PhD-*like* training but you don't necessarily need to earn the degree or go through an MSTP for that. You could do a research year in med school and do a postdoc after fellowship to get the bench science training you need. I think this would be the better course for someone like you (career changer, great post bacc, awesome MCAT). I'd be surprised if you didn't get any MD accepts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the help and support! Glad to learn different perspectives and know there are other options out there, which I will certainly look into. Lurking some older threads also helped out

I'm well through the application cycle and I'm holding onto a DO acceptance and waiting on two post-II MD's (from my state schools). Pretty much rejected from the rest of the 20 or so MD programs I applied to. I've also been working in a bioinformatics lab my gap year.

I met a physician (MD) in my lab, we hit it off pretty well because we both studied physics as undergrads. He told me multiple times that if I want to be a leader in a field of research in medicine that I should get my PhD. He told me he's had multiple opportunities lost because he didn't have the particular skill set needed to lead a project. I don't doubt him and I'm sure he's right.

He advised me however to put off medical school and enter into a regular PhD program first, and then apply to MD's afterwards. This would mean I would have to apply to graduate school, finish the degree, retake the MCAT (mine will expire by then), and reapply.

I would consider it, but I just feel it would be a pretty big risk: My research background is pretty strong, but my GPA is low (3.25 science, after a 3.9 in a career changer postbac) and with over 120 credits under my belt there's no way it's getting near a competitive level. I managed to get 519 on the MCAT, but I seriously doubt I could pull it off again in 5 years. I consider myself lucky enough to have had those two MD II's to begin with, and re-applying MSTP is obviously a moonshot. He thinks I would be a more competitive candidate for MD programs after I get my PhD and I would have no problem retaking the MCAT.

So my question to you: Has my ship sailed? I prefer an honest answer, I've come to terms with my situation. I like research, I could see myself loving being a physician scientist, but I just feel getting an MD/PhD in either route is beyond a realistic possibility.

Thanks!

PS: WAMC thread I posted last year in case you wanted more info on my app https://www-forums.studentdoctor.ne...school-list-3-3-ugpa-3-9-postbac-519.1206770/

As it has been said above. The PhD isn't necessary. One thing I would advise you is to really consider reapplying for MD schools. It is probably already known to you that the amount of resources that are provided at an MD school (NIH funding, well-regarded investigators, a curriculum schedule that is conducive to performing strong research) is much greater than that of the majority of DO schools (exception being some of your state funded DO programs like RowanSOM, MSU, and OSU).

Reactions: 1 user