Need Advice about Post-Bacc Options. Pre-Law background and LSAT

Started by PrinceR
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PrinceR

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, just want to say I am so thankful for this board, truly amazing information here. So, I've been lurking for quite some time and over the past week or so have started to really looking into post-bacc premed options. I swear I have searched this forum as much as possible, I have read about some of my post-bacc options that I will discuss a little farther down, but it seems like choosing a post-bacc is just individual oriented. A little bit about myself

-Graduated May 2010 with a BBA and a minor in political science, cum. GPA of 3.6
-Studied for the LSAT while working for about 7 months (Yes, it took me this long) and got a 167 (94%)
-Been volunteering for a couple of months at a men's homeless shelter
-I really have always had a passion for law, but given the current state of the law field and the huge over saturation of lawyers I just can't see myself finding any meaningful work

As for my interest in the medical field, both of my parents are RN's, and they owned adult family homes when I was growing up so I had a lot of exposure to transitional care. I can see myself making much more of a positive impact on people's lives through being an MD.

That was just to provide a little bit of context. With all that being said, I have looked at some post-bacc options here in the PNW (I'm from Seattle) and am a little discouraged by my options. University of WA is super competitive and if anything getting good grades in the science program there is very difficult, I also have heard that its very hard to get any sort of recognition that you're alive from a professor. Seattle University is incredible expensive and is more or less just a guide on what classes to take. I have looked at Portland State University and that seems like a very viable option. At the end of the day, my top considerations are this:
-Good good grades in the science classes
-Professors or faculty that will provide letters of recs
-Get help with clinics and volunteer work
-Not too concerned with relocating
-I am going to take the 2 year route

I don't have any volunteer work in the health field, but could definitely get some because my parents both work at hospitals here in Seattle. I have looked at the top post-bacc options (Scripps, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Mills), but I doubt I could get in. When I took my SAT I wasn't much of an academic and really didn't put any effort into it. However, my junior year of college I wasn't so apathetic and really wanted to create a future for myself.

As of now, I think my best option is Portland State University. I have looked a little at HES but its a little daunting thinking of relocating to Boston for 2 years to do this post-bacc work. Thanks a lot to whoever reads and responds, I really do appreciate it.
 
Your gpa is good, and your lsat is strong. I think the top postbacs like to see a commitment to the health profession though but you're a string candidate for postbacs.

My girlfriend moved to Boston to do the HES health careers program and like yourself, thought about a career in law (169 lsat) but decided on medicine and moved from cali to Boston. I might warn you that science courses are a whole different animal than the cookiecutter prelaw classes which require a lot of writing.
 
Your gpa is good, and your lsat is strong. I think the top postbacs like to see a commitment to the health profession though but you're a string candidate for postbacs.

My girlfriend moved to Boston to do the HES health careers program and like yourself, thought about a career in law (169 lsat) but decided on medicine and moved from cali to Boston. I might warn you that science courses are a whole different animal than the cookiecutter prelaw classes which require a lot of writing.

Thanks for the response. Has she started yet? If so, what does she think? I am going to PM you with some more detailed messages if you don't mind. I mean, because this admit cycle is over, I am thinking about applying early and starting to get some volunteer experience in hospitals.
 
So, I am thinking that I should take the GRE and get some medically related volunteer experience. I don't remember my SAT score, but I do know it's really not that competitive. This might be due to the fact that I took life for granted and didn't bother studying for it... Regardless, I think taking the GRE and doing well plus having a solid LSAT as supplemental and getting some volunteer experience in a hospital would make a fairly strong candidate. My list of post-baccs looks like this:

Bryn Mawr, Scripps, Bennington, Mills, Portland State, HES

I was looking at Goucher but supposedbly it is very "gunner-esque" and while I want to work hard, I don't want a cut throat mentality between my peers.

How does this sound?