Need advice about this situation...HELP.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,
I have an interview...1st for DO school ever. I did apply to MD schools last spring....had no luck. Because of disappointment and complete lack of respect for the whole MD process (only stats matter...don't care what anybody says). Anywho, a friend told me to go speak to this DO. I met the DO, spent some time with him -- LOVED EVERY MINUTE. He was down to earth, took time out of his day for me, loved what he did, and felt a connection with his patients i never seen before. His strong interest in primary care and its importance to our future showed me not to be disgusted w/ medicine but just that I was going down the wrong path. Now, i know i want to go the DO route -- I will be happier. thus, if the question is brought up -- "why did you apply so late to DO and apply so early to MD schools" -- is my answer ok....or not? what do you think? any experience with this situation? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think that you would be best off if you told them exactly what you wrote here. Since osteopathic medicine isnt very well known to the majority of the population, everybody has their own way of coming into contact with it. Your experience is similar to mine. I knew that I wanted to be a doctor from a young age. I had shadowed many M.D.s and felt that they only care about prescribing medicine and getting onto the next patient. Then I shadowed a couple D.O.s and, like you, loved every minute of it. I loved the extra time they put in to getting to know their patients. I LOVE the philosophy. So if you go into your interview with the sincerety you showed in your post, your reason to become an osteopathic physician is as good as anybody else's. Just make sure you have researched everything that you can about OM so they will know that you really do know what you're getting into, and really do love it.

Best of luck to you in your interview, you'll succeed because you have the love!!!

Originally posted by amoxicillin
Ok,
I have an interview...1st for DO school ever. I did apply to MD schools last spring....had no luck. Because of disappointment and complete lack of respect for the whole MD process (only stats matter...don't care what anybody says). Anywho, a friend told me to go speak to this DO. I met the DO, spent some time with him -- LOVED EVERY MINUTE. He was down to earth, took time out of his day for me, loved what he did, and felt a connection with his patients i never seen before. His strong interest in primary care and its importance to our future showed me not to be disgusted w/ medicine but just that I was going down the wrong path. Now, i know i want to go the DO route -- I will be happier. thus, if the question is brought up -- "why did you apply so late to DO and apply so early to MD schools" -- is my answer ok....or not? what do you think? any experience with this situation? thanks.
That's actually a really good answer. If you say that reply like you really mean it, which I'm sure you do, it will come off as sincere and the interviewers will be impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is sincere and im glad others have had the same experience. Even today, I stopped by the DO's office to pick up a book, well he actually set some time aside for me to talk to him for a while...how nice...i thought i was just going to walk in and pick up the book from his secretary. just a nice situation.

First off, congrats on your first interview:clap:

I would also suggest saying what you have written here if it comes up. I am not sure if the interviews know the dates you applied though, so it may not be an issue. I wasn't asked if I applied to MD schools as well, so that might not come up either. I would know why you like DOs and want to become a DO. I would talk about your recent encounters and how they have made you feel like the DO path is perfect for you.

Good luck and let us know how things go. If you want to share..... What school is interviewing you?