Need advice and comments on likelihood of success

Legardemain

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post here on Sdn,
I'm an 18 year old Highschool student that wants to specialize in Ortho and sub in Hand but here's my dilemma;

My Highschool experience has been highly unfavorable and definitely not the ideal. 9th and 10th grade went decently and I pulled about a 3.3-3.5. Then junior year rolled in and I had many external factors in my life that put me in a rut. I failed with 2 consecutive all "F" quarters and was honestly considering dropping it to get a GED. Then I got into a nontrad Highschool and the last quarter of Junior and all of senior has gone much better. I've constantly pulled a 3.7-3.9.
The main problem was that traditional Highschool was not working for me.

I'm planning on attending the University of Utah and applying for their med program. What kind of scores and percentiles am I going to have to have/be in to have a shot at an end game in ortho?

Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing you are doing right now has anything to do with whether you become an ortho/hand surgeon.

Do well, get into college. In college, do all the usual things as far as grades/exposure/etc, and if you don't change your mind between now and then as many do, shoot for med school.

It's what you do and don't do in med school that will shape your chances at any given specialty. Your scores and evaluations, and particularly your board scores, have a lot to do with it. But this is all years in the future at this point and can be found online if you're curious. One thing at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say that the best thing you can do in college regarding your question is shadowing orthopedic surgeons, and figure out if its something you actually want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
First you will need to matriculate into a MD school.
TO be competitive your GPA must be ~3.75c and ~3.68s with around 31 MCAT.

Last edited:
I would't worry about your high school GPA. As long as you get into a four year college it doesn't matter. You should; however, learn from your mistakes and make sure to never have a semester like you did in high school. To get into medical school you need to make really good grades in college. That means starting out your freshman year you need to take it very seriously and put the time and effort into it.

Good luck.

First post here on Sdn,
I'm an 18 year old Highschool student that wants to specialize in Ortho and sub in Hand but here's my dilemma;

My Highschool experience has been highly unfavorable and definitely not the ideal. 9th and 10th grade went decently and I pulled about a 3.3-3.5. Then junior year rolled in and I had many external factors in my life that put me in a rut. I failed with 2 consecutive all "F" quarters and was honestly considering dropping it to get a GED. Then I got into a nontrad Highschool and the last quarter of Junior and all of senior has gone much better. I've constantly pulled a 3.7-3.9.
The main problem was that traditional Highschool was not working for me.

I'm planning on attending the University of Utah and applying for their med program. What kind of scores and percentiles am I going to have to have/be in to have a shot at an end game in ortho?

Thanks a ton!

Get into college and do well first. Different ball game each step of the way.

You may even find out ortho isn't exactly what you wanted.