1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

need advice and inputs...help

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PaulKu34, Nov 23, 2005.

1. PaulKu34

PaulKu34 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I know i've asked this before, but i really need some more insights and opinions from those of you who had applied pretty late (like early november) and still get into dental schools. Currently, I have an overall gpa of 3.6 and science gpa of 3.3. My overall and science is a 20 but i got a 15 on my pat...but i did other activities (i.e. taking sowing class and the ucla perceptual classes) to kinda try making up for it. so i wrote that in my app. can you guys tell me if you know neone that had applied and gotten in...which schools and what were their stats? i'm not sure if i should start preparing on what i should be doing the following year if i don't get in. I'm from utah, so i don't know if i'll have a chance in some of the ca schools and etc... i would love to attend penn or pittsburg, but don't know if i have any chance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does it hurt to apply? It only costs money. And if you get an interview then you can let your stellar personality shine through. That 15 on the PAT is pretty bad, though. If you don't get in this year I would change that, but keep the 20 in science. Easier said than done. But if you don't have at least average perceptual ability, I don't think you will enjoy being a dentist. I'm not saying you have to ace the PAT to be a great dentist, but it would definitely help to do at least average.

4. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Moving to pre-dent.

5. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Paul:

Your concern is valid. A 3.6 GPA is good, so as the science scores. You are right about the 15 PAT, that is a blemish, and I don't know how harmful that will be, and the only way to find out is to call the schools and ask if they have minimum cutoffs. Let me repeat this again, the only way to find out is to call the schools and ask if they have minimu cutoffs. The secretary you talk to say, usually has very little say in your admission, so I wouldn't be shy about calling them up and ask them. If they say, they have minimum cutoffs, then, save yourself money, confusion, and indecision, because you would know immediately not to apply to that school. Why don't I reiterate that agin. If they say, they have minimum cutoffs, then, save yourself money, confusion, and indecision, because you would know immediately not to apply to that school.

Your case seems so borderline that I don't think anyone on SDN can give any exact answers, hence I recommend the individual contacts to each school.

By making a single call, that cost you less than a dollar, and less than five minutes, you could save yourself some 40, 50 dollars in applying to that school, what a deal.

Good luck, and hang in there. Keep us posted. I'm curious how it will turn out.