NEED advice but more importantly NEED critics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younghopefull

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman at North Dakota. Threw out high school I did just enough to get by and still got decent grades but never fully put in the effort I could have. I always thought about how cool it would be if i could become a dentist but always told myself there was no way I could do it and wasn't smart enough.

So when i got to college I figured I could just "get by" like i did in high school and just major in business or education or something and didn't get very good grades at all. I recently had something happen to me in my life that made me realize that I need to stop selling myself short of what I can really achieve and do better in school and its been showing.

I now want to pursue my first goal of becoming a dentist, but I'm scared me getting bad grades my first year will keep me from getting into school I have failed 3 classes but this semester doing much much better, and I only took 12 credits last semester and 13 this semester.

I just was put on adhd medication and it seems to be helping. If you could please give me some advice that would be great but I really want people to give me my realistic chances of getting into dental school. I can take the worst news.

Greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake classes you failed, study harder from here on out, it's almost that simple. Although some on here are close to geniuses, a lot of us just work hard to get decent grades, then comes DAT etc. which is another opportunity. Lots of units left as a freshmen so it's definitely not the end of the world, and myself as a senior am just realizing how long this process is. good luck!

Look on the bright side. As a business and education major, it is very likely you took little to no science classes so your science GPA is 0.00 at this time. So study your ***** off and boost up your overall GPA and make sure you do well in your science pre-reqs. Maybe 3 years down the road, your oGPA will be 3.2 but your sGPA will be 3.6. It's a realistic goal, so keep ya head up :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a freshman at North Dakota. Threw out high school I did just enough to get by and still got decent grades but never fully put in the effort I could have. I always thought about how cool it would be if i could become a dentist but always told myself there was no way I could do it and wasn't smart enough.

So when i got to college I figured I could just "get by" like i did in high school and just major in business or education or something and didn't get very good grades at all. I recently had something happen to me in my life that made me realize that I need to stop selling myself short of what I can really achieve and do better in school and its been showing.

I now want to pursue my first goal of becoming a dentist, but I'm scared me getting bad grades my first year will keep me from getting into school I have failed 3 classes but this semester doing much much better, and I only took 12 credits last semester and 13 this semester.

I just was put on adhd medication and it seems to be helping. If you could please give me some advice that would be great but I really want people to give me my realistic chances of getting into dental school. I can take the worst news.

Greatly appreciated!

Take a look at my story...It seems as though you are in a similar position to me when I was done with my first year. I posted my story on my blog. By the time I completed my first 35 credits I had a 2.9 with Cs in my introductory biology courses, and physics, and an F in psychology. Now I am in dental school and getting ready to complete my first year!:thumbup:

Change the "I wasn't smart enough" to I "have to" be smart enough. Take the "didn't get very good grades" to I "have to" get good grades. If you change this now you won't be pursuing your goal of becominig a dentist in 3-4 years from now, you will BE becoming a dentist!:)

Hope my story can give you some inspiration and hope.

www.dentaldat.blogspot.com

You can do it! Just keep positive, work hard, and don't let anyone give you any ideas otherwise. Nothing comes easy.

I am currently a freshman at North Dakota...

Most important point in your post, OP...

Worry about the upcoming semester, and figure out how to kick its pants. The rest will take care of itself. Success, just like failure, is a habit.

It doesn't take much more effort to earn an A than it takes to earn a C. Don't focus on the past, just do better in the future. If you aren't happy with your GPA for the current term when it ends, take one summer class and study like crazy. Making an A will boost your confidence and give you motivation to do well in the Fall.

Well after I read these comments yesterday morning around 10 I immediatly got up showered went down to the lounge and studied my butt off all day for my anthropology test which was today at 9 a.m. online.....

I got a 96%!!! best grade on a test since college!!! thanks everyone