Jan 16, 2021
So I only just started realizing I enjoyed dentistry so I don't have a long time frame. However, I do believe I have a lot of hours.

Dental assisting- 3 months-400 hours (Practice 1)

Shadowing- By the time I'm done: 5 months-180 hours. (Practice 2)

Volunteering- By the time I'm done: 5 months- 100 hours (food pantry)

While I'm very confident I have a large amount of hours, I'm worried my timeframe is going to look bad and I don't have enough locations. Should I look to shadow at one more practice? I'd rather spend that time studying for the dat but if it'll make me look better, I don't mind. My sGPA and cGPA are both on the lower side so I'm really hoping my clinical experience will give me an edge.

About the Ads
Oct 2, 2020
So I only just started realizing I enjoyed dentistry so I don't have a long time frame. However, I do believe I have a lot of hours.

Dental assisting- 3 months-400 hours (Practice 1)

Shadowing- By the time I'm done: 5 months-180 hours. (Practice 2)

Volunteering- By the time I'm done: 5 months- 100 hours (food pantry)

While I'm very confident I have a large amount of hours, I'm worried my timeframe is going to look bad and I don't have enough locations. Should I look to shadow at one more practice? I'd rather spend that time studying for the dat but if it'll make me look better, I don't mind. My sGPA and cGPA are both on the lower side so I'm really hoping my clinical experience will give me an edge.
Is this your first time writing the DAT? I think if you for sure want to apply this cycle focus on the DAT (since you said your GPA is on the lower end) and dont worry about additional shadowing, you can always avail more shadowing opportunities after your DAT and put it in your application/email the schools an update

Reactions: 1 user

PerioDont

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Is this your first time writing the DAT? I think if you for sure want to apply this cycle focus on the DAT (since you said your GPA is on the lower end) and dont worry about additional shadowing, you can always avail more shadowing opportunities after your DAT and put it in your application/email the schools an update
Agreed. I wouldn't really worry about hours, just focus on the DAT! the vast majority of my shadowing was in the 2 months before I applied

amaze

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2018
Your timeframes are fine. I would personally consider 3+ months to be long...I got acceptances with 5 DAYS of shadowing lol. No other dental-related experiences.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Apr 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I shadowed only one dentist and got in! However, make sure that you would have enough to talk about if you were asked about your shadowing experience during your interviews.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.