Need advice. Current student who aprovides ABA services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XWing5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently going to school for Information Systems with a concentration Cyber Security. I enjoy computers and I can work my way around them. For work, I've been working for a company that provides ABA services. I go to the consumers house and conduct 1:1 sessions by implementing programs (tacting, listening & responding, Intraverbal, self help skills) with kids that have mental disabilities. I have worked with children that have Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, and Traumatic Brain Injury. I have had this job for 9 months now In this, I am thinking of a career change from IT to mental health. From all of your experiences, what can you tell me about the pros and cons of getting a Masters in Psychology? I've thought about Psychiatry, but medical school is a whole different animal. I am 23 years old. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

A master's in psychology is not very useful as a terminal degree, but if you don't have much of an academic background in psychology it can be a useful stepping stone toward a doctoral program.

Professional master's degree programs (such as counseling, social work, marriage and family therapy) can prepare you for careers in private practice or in health care settings. If you really like ABA and could see yourself pursuing that as a full time career you could also take courses toward BCBA certification. Some schools have master's degree programs in behavior analysis, which would prepare you for such a career.

There are a lot of options so it's best to look carefully at all the options for a career in mental health and, if you decide to go that direction, find out how to get the best training to position yourself for a successful career.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user