Need advice- DDS, DO, MD?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedgirl06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....

i have actually been trying to decide between dentistry and medicine for the last two years. i always wanted to be a doctor...but last year i shadowed both a general dentist and a cosmetic dentist and loved it! the hours are great, I like working with my hands, and you still get patient contact (which is of particular importance to me). but ive always dreamed of being a doctor...so i applied to med schools this year and ive already been accepted a few places. but for some reason, this whole dentistry thing just wont leave my head....and i just feel like i'll always regret it if I dont at least try to take the DATs and maybe shadow another dentist this summer. is there anyone else who applied to med school and then got in/didnt get in but then still decided to switch to dentistry? i'd really appreciate any feedback about how you made ur decision. Also, did you address the fact that you applied to med school in your personal statement for aadsas? did you get totally different reccs or use the same ones?? Did you do about the same on the DAT as you did on the MCAT?

i know there are some people who have always wanted to be a dentist and hopefully this doesnt seem offensive...because its not like i'm just swithcing because of the better hours/money etc...i do really enjoy both fields....i just cant decide which one I like better!

Members don't see this ad.

Why med? Why dent? Take time and think about these questions...

confusedgirl06 said:
Hey guys....

i have actually been trying to decide between dentistry and medicine for the last two years. i always wanted to be a doctor...but last year i shadowed both a general dentist and a cosmetic dentist and loved it! the hours are great, I like working with my hands, and you still get patient contact (which is of particular importance to me). but ive always dreamed of being a doctor...so i applied to med schools this year and ive already been accepted a few places. but for some reason, this whole dentistry thing just wont leave my head....and i just feel like i'll always regret it if I dont at least try to take the DATs and maybe shadow another dentist this summer. is there anyone else who applied to med school and then got in/didnt get in but then still decided to switch to dentistry? i'd really appreciate any feedback about how you made ur decision. Also, did you address the fact that you applied to med school in your personal statement for aadsas? did you get totally different reccs or use the same ones?? Did you do about the same on the DAT as you did on the MCAT?

i know there are some people who have always wanted to be a dentist and hopefully this doesnt seem offensive...because its not like i'm just swithcing because of the better hours/money etc...i do really enjoy both fields....i just cant decide which one I like better!

firstly, please read my signature

secondly, read this list:

Here is a brief sketch of my notes from a lecture a successful (millionaire dentist) dentist on dentistry...don't take everything to heart, but keep some of it in mind!

-Dental school was tough (school 40hr/wk)
-most fulltime instructors are "jerks" - they try to discourage you
-don't get married during dental school (before/after is ok)
-Many specializations include surgery, cosmtic, boutique (practice on celebrities)
-most dentists are business owners
-dentists have the highest divorce rate/substance abusers/ heart attacks
-Don't choose the profession because of money...stay in profession till the end even if you don't get paid because it will payoff with hardwork
-the business aspect of dentistry is the hardest part because eveyone is on your case, OSHA, IRS, etc
-67% of dentists say they wouldnt be dentists if they did life all over again...this is because they lack self-esteem
-dentists have to do 4 times the work in order to make the same net profit for 1 work
-the avg american who have 3rd party care is small
-dentists make more than a medical doctor because of the way they write off insurance
-dentists dont get the same emergencies as medical doctors
-you have to enjoy working with your hands
-medical doctors are more busy
-you can make up your own hours, your family life, and dentistry has become a demand (more so than nursing, etc)
-more dentists are leaving their profession than those coming in the future
-increase in tooth decay of this country because of junk diets - more busieness for dentists
-most dentists are lousy business men/women
-1 in 4 students get into dental school
-dentists go through more stress than the patients when injecting shots (proven)

Members don't see this ad :)
As somone who changed careers, I'll say this: choose one that you'll enjoy. I picked being a stock broker for all the wrong reasons, but it's what I "dreamed" about doing. I wish I had just done Dentistry. It would have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Furthermore, this won't be the only time in your life you'll be forced to choose one of two possible roads (and both will be equally enticing). For example, getting married. You'll find throughout your life wondering what color the grass is on the other side of the fence. A sign of maturity is recognizing that every option has it's pros and cons, and that instead of hopping around from idea to idea or wife to wife it's better to become the best at what you do and to enjoy doing it well.Good luck!

JavadiCavity said:
As somone who changed careers, I'll say this: choose one that you'll enjoy. I picked being a stock broker for all the wrong reasons, but it's what I "dreamed" about doing. I wish I had just done Dentistry. It would have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Furthermore, this won't be the only time in your life you'll be forced to choose one of two possible roads (and both will be equally enticing). For example, getting married. You'll find throughout your life wondering what color the grass is on the other side of the fence. A sign of maturity is recognizing that every option has it's pros and cons, and that instead of hopping around from idea to idea or wife to wife it's better to become the best at what you do and to enjoy doing it well.Good luck!

thanks for all the input. i know in the end it comes down to what makes me happy. its just hard, because right now i see myself in either profession. and there must be a reason that i cant seem to let go of dentistry if i've already gotten into medical schools.

just wondering- anyone switch from medicine to dentistry?

confusedgirl06 said:
thanks for all the input. i know in the end it comes down to what makes me happy. its just hard, because right now i see myself in either profession. and there must be a reason that i cant seem to let go of dentistry if i've already gotten into medical schools.

just wondering- anyone switch from medicine to dentistry?
what kind of MD do u want to be?

Personally I chose dentistry because of the freedom you have in salary, work week and opening up your own shop. I thought that these would be a bit more difficult for a doctor. As for DO; are you referring to “Doctor of Osteopathy”? If so, I kind of put DO’s in the same genera as Reflexologists. Its my own hang up but I would just steer clear of this. Anyone else with other thoughts?

Podiatry is the only way to go. Everything else is weak sauce!

drhobie7 said:
Podiatry is the only way to go. Everything else is weak sauce!

especially if you have a foot fetish.

to op: i actually started out as pre-med (i know i am not the only one), i even took the mcat and applied. somewhere during the process, while i was doing a masters program i took a step back and evaluated where i'm going and where i want to be, what i want to do. i looked carefully at the various healthcare professions. i made a list of pro/cons and then shadowed/volunteered at doctors and dentists offices.

as you can see i decided on dentistry. so examine all your options and then go for it. you can't be constantly worrying about the what if's. My dad's colleague finished med school, became an anesthesiologist, worked for a year, and then started to see if there is anything better, ended up doing a surgery residency, worked for a few more years, and now looking for something new. he has loans up the *** and can't decide on a career. You don't want to be like that.

confusedgirl06- Think about what it is that you really want to do and your reasons behind it. When you figure it out, you will know.
I was well on my way to applying to med school 2 years ago. I had held office in the premed club, done well on the MCAT, filled out the AAMCAS, but I couldn't write a personal statement that convinced ME that I wanted to be a doctor. I had had dentistry in the back of my mind since my freshman year, but was too afraid to give up my "lifelong goal" of becoming a doctor. I decided to take a year and decide what I really wanted to do. In that year I figured out that dentistry is it. I feel so much more excited about entering this profession than I ever did about med school. The doubts are gone. My advice to you is to go with what feels right.

How in the world can you claim that you got into medical schools when you posted this 2 weeks ago?

"
Is it too late to apply to Ross/SGU/AUC with a 24 and 3.6??

THanks!!
"

Those are Carribean med schools. You stats are pretty low for MD schools in the states. Go DO if you want to be a doctor, but then you'll always have this inferiority complex, who cares if that is what you truly love?

With that said, MD > DDS > DO

MDs work hard, i respect them. Going to 4 years of med school, and 4 years of residency regardless of your specialty is a lot of schooling. Competitive MCAT & GPA, higher caliber of students.

We all know that DOs are mostly MD rejects. They lie through their teeth
claiming they want to learn about the whole bodies, bones and crap during the admissions process to get accepted. Not very competitive to get into.

To the OP, don't go DDS because you're obviously lying about your desire to go into dentistry. I would give you some respect if you say that you can't get into MD med schools and looking into dentistry as an alternative.

Tracy47 said:
How in the world can you claim that you got into medical schools when you posted this 2 weeks ago?

"

THanks!!
"

Those are Carribean med schools. You stats are pretty low for MD schools in the states. Go DO if you want to be a doctor, but then you'll always have this inferiority complex, who cares if that is what you truly love?

MDs work hard, i respect them. Going to 4 years of med school, and 4 years of residency regardless of your specialty is a lot of schooling. Competitive MCAT & GPA, higher caliber of students.

claiming they want to learn about the whole bodies, bones and crap during the admissions process to get accepted. Not very competitive to get into.

To the OP, don't go DDS because you're obviously lying about your desire to go into dentistry. I would give you some respect if you say that you can't get into MD med schools and looking into dentistry as an alternative.

Burn..... :laugh:

Tracy47 said:

"

THanks!!
"

holy ****e, you've got a lot of time on your hands.... good job inspector :laugh:

you got into med school, stick to med. im sure you willl like either profession. dental is harder to get into that med anyhow. so take advantage of your acceptances.