Need advice desperately. Transferred schools, became depressed. Damage Control?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started off at community college, got A's in Physics, Organic, Calc, English, Bio, Microbio. In regards to my gpa...because only 60 of 80 credits transffered, I've listed both gpas: 60 (3.83) of 80 (3.77).

At my new school, I never partied, never drank, was a virgin. Didn't do to well in school obviously.
My gpa has been on a downward trend, I've had 3 semesters where I got a 2.9. One semester I had a 3.5 (started cancer research, got B's in molecular bio and genetics). I have one last semester left and plan to pull my gpa here at my new school to a 3.1.

That's my problem though, at my current school my gpa is a 2.9. The most I can raise it upto is a 3.1.

Will med schools only look at my current gpa at my university or will they average the gpa of both schools?
School 1 gpa - 3.83 at 60 credits or 3.77 at 80 credits
School 2 gpa - 2.9 currently, I can work my butt off to raise it to a 3.1

Averaged out I'm at a 3.48

I'm taking a gap year and my plan is:
Spring 2015 - apply for jobs, apply for mcat, study for mcat 2015 (new version)
Summer - take mcat, volunteer/shadow, work a fulltime job, apply to med schools
Fall 2015 - work/volunteer/shadow, med school applications
Spring 2016 - hopefully hear back and matriculate for Fall 2016.

What do you guys/girls think of this timeline?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Far as I know...they will average all college classes you have ever taken

Members don't see this ad :)
They average all grades, but nobody will be taking your application seriously with a 2.9 on your university units.

They average all grades, but nobody will be taking your application seriously with a 2.9 on your university units.
I'm seriously worried, don't know what to do.
This semester I broke my foot, my dad passed a kidney stone, brother and sister got hit by a drunk driver, broke up with an ex who's my next door neighbor...

I've just had a bad time at this university and wish I could go back and do it over.

Should I consider a post back or an M.S. or should I go for another degree?

I'm seriously worried, don't know what to do.
This semester I broke my foot, my dad passed a kidney stone, brother and sister got hit by a drunk driver, broke up with an ex who's my next door neighbor...

I've just had a bad time at this university and wish I could go back and do it over.

Should I consider a post back or an M.S. or should I go for another degree?
I'm not trying to be insensitive to your situation, but you'll need more than the reasons you did poorly to get a shot. I have a classmate in medical school whose mom died in the semester and another's was diagnosed with metastatic cancer, yet they both finished their semester successfully. I think a year of post-bacc work at a 4-year with a high GPA should suffice. Any grade C or below should definitely be retaken.

I believe there was a user here who went to a CC did alright. Then transferred to a 4-year and didn't do as great and then went back to a CC after graduating for post-bacc and did well. I totally forgot his/her username but they have received an acceptance.

Honestly, you gotta do hot on the MCAT now pretty much. I think 27+ with your 3.48 will be good for DO
How are your ECs? do you have any experience with DOs or shadowing or clinical volunteering?

Also think about retakes...

Take advantage of the grade forgiveness that DO offers. Ace everything.

don't really have time for retakes.
would it be wise to consider grad school
i LOVED molecular and genetics. in fact im doing research on epigenetic regulation of a gprotein subunit.

If you have time for a M.S you have time for retakes.

Likewise, never do graduate school as a launching pad for medical school as it still won't fix your low undergraduate gpa.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have time for a M.S you have time for retakes.

Likewise, never do graduate school as a launching pad for medical school as it still won't fix your low undergraduate gpa.
my school allows 6 retakes total, i've retaken a course once already and got a c.
my plan was to just suck up with a 3.48, work a job, and ace the new mcat.

"Acing" the MCAT is MUCH easier said than done. However, you state you have A's in all the pre-reqs so i don't think you will have that much trouble. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
my school allows 6 retakes total, i've retaken a course once already and got a c.

All I can say is try to bring up your gpa in the last semesters you've got and do a post-bacc then.

Cancel your WoW subscription, hit the books

Reactions: 1 user
Look, there's a difference between what you want and what you need to do to get in. Your problem is not your ability to work or your ability to do well on the MCAT. Your problem is a downward grade trend, so you need to address that. It is in your best interest to retake the courses you did low in and do well in new courses.

A masters degree doesn't solve that. Most schools know that masters programs have an inflated GPAs, so they are not seen as equivalent to undergraduate units. You possibly could get into one of the newer colleges if you follow this strategy and "ace the MCAT," but you don't want to do that. You have a very easy road to get a high GPA and get into one of the best osteopathic schools. The importance of that is because of rotations. You don't want to be going to a weak program unless you have no choice.

We're trying to save you a lot of grief. I understand you want to put on your cap and gown and be finished in 4 years and think a masters looks better. The truth is that nobody cares about your 5-year graduation (and you won't in the future either) and your masters will be just a piece of paper once you get your D.O.

@AlbinoHawk DO ,
are md schools out of the consideration? also, I've already been in school for 5 years, should I just suck it up and repeat as many of the C's?

would it be bad to apply for training as a emt/phlebotomist?

@serenade,
I'm a b.s. bio student, what would I do a post-bacc in?

No idea. But honestly with 3 semesters of 2.9s and one single decent one it's not looking good.

Simply put you shot yourself in the foot and there's little you can do truly. I recommend looking into post-baccs with decent connections: Lecom for example.

But honestly, and I don't wish to make this offensive but with an under 3.0 I doubt you'd be all that capable of surviving a post-bacc since chances are either your study skills are poor or you simply lack the work ethic.

In either way, you're in no position to apply to US medical schools. And you need to ask whether a life time of such hard work is really for you.

Last edited:
Really hope @Goro has something better to tell you. But Serenade and Albino pretty much gave you the only options you have right now. Retake your Cs.

Look, there's a difference between what you want and what you need to do to get in. Your problem is not your ability to work or your ability to do well on the MCAT. Your problem is a downward grade trend, so you need to address that. It is in your best interest to retake the courses you did low in and do well in new courses.

A masters degree doesn't solve that. Most schools know that masters programs have an inflated GPAs, so they are not seen as equivalent to undergraduate units. You possibly could get into one of the newer colleges if you follow this strategy and "ace the MCAT," but you don't want to do that. You have a very easy road to get a high GPA and get into one of the best osteopathic schools. The importance of that is because of rotations. You don't want to be going to a weak program unless you have no choice.

We're trying to save you a lot of grief. I understand you want to put on your cap and gown and be finished in 4 years and think a masters looks better. The truth is that nobody cares about your 5-year graduation (and you won't in the future either) and your masters will be just a piece of paper once you get your D.O.

Totally agree. I know someone who spent an extra year in undergrad to retake poor grades (to a 3.4-3.5 cGPA/sGPA range). That person now is a 2nd year DO student.

@AlbinoHawk DO ,
are md schools out of the consideration? also, I've already been in school for 5 years, should I just suck it up and repeat as many of the C's?

@serenade,
With a strong year in post-bacc, with a total science GPA at or above 3.5 and an mcat above the average of your target schools, I do believe you can gain MD admissions.

Unless you are weak in EC, there is probably no point in EMT or phlebotomy.

Your post-bacc doesn't require a major. There are many biology courses out there. Have you taken immunology, microbiology, physiology, histology, etc.? These are all essential courses in medical school.

With a strong year in post-bacc, with a total science GPA at or above 3.5 and an mcat above the average of your target schools, I do believe you can gain MD admissions.

Unless you are weak in EC, there is probably no point in EMT or phlebotomy.

Your post-bacc doesn't require a major. There are many biology courses out there. Have you taken immunology, microbiology, physiology, histology, etc.? These are all essential courses in medical school.
where can i find post bacc programs, now my question is post bacc or retake C's

@AlbinoHawk DO ,

@serenade,
You would need to do a do it yourself post-bacc and retake every low class all at once in a one year push to prove you can handle that much of a load. Medical school starts the first semester at 35 credits so if you can't handle 18 credits of hard science then you need to rethink your goal. DO is your best shot as they look at the most recent year of grades and they do grade replacement not grade averaging. A masters will not help you as you need to have high grades in the pre-req's.

You would need to do a do it yourself post-bacc and retake every low class all at once in a one year push to prove you can handle that much of a load. Medical school starts the first semester at 35 credits so if you can't handle 18 credits of hard science then you need to rethink your goal. DO is your best shot as they look at the most recent year of grades and they do grade replacement not grade averaging. A masters will not help you as you need to have high grades in the pre-req's.
@cabinbuilder, I have the utmost respect for you. I've read quite a few of your posts and I'm always amazed.
Can I retake my C's anywhere?

where can i find post bacc programs, now my question is post bacc or retake C's
You don't need a program. You can also just extend your graduation date. All you need to do is take more undergraduate coursework at a 4-year college. In my opinion, formal programs are just a way to waste your money.

You don't need a program. You can also just extend your graduation date. All you need to do is take more undergraduate coursework at a 4-year college. In my opinion, formal programs are just a way to waste your money.
the university I go to is about 2 hours from my house, i'd rather stay home and go to a near by university and at least save on the cost of living.

im literally paying more to live on campus than tuition.

i have this spring semester and hopefully summer...i think it would be wise to retake as many courses as i can this spring though, do you agree?

Last edited:
I believe there was a user here who went to a CC did alright. Then transferred to a 4-year and didn't do as great and then went back to a CC after graduating for post-bacc and did well. I totally forgot his/her username but they have received an acceptance.

Honestly, you gotta do hot on the MCAT now pretty much. I think 27+ with your 3.48 will be good for DO
How are your ECs? do you have any experience with DOs or shadowing or clinical volunteering?

You may be talking about me. I got about 3.7 at CC, then 3.1 at a university, primarily due to three bad semesters (quite similar to OP in this regard). Took me 7 years to graduate. All A's in my prereqs during my postbac at a CC. That took me 2 1/2 years. I ended up receiving IIs from all but 3 schools I applied to.

OP, I agree with everyone saying to retake your C's and just kill those courses. You can retake them at another institution, but make sure they are equivalent, both in information AND course units. For example, if you got a C in a 4-unit genetics courses, you cannot replace that grade with an A in a 3-unit genetics course at another university. A buddy of mine is doing a formal postbac and one of the courses he retook cannot be substituted for an earlier poor grade, which kinda sucks.

Last edited:
the university I go to is about 2 hours from my house, i'd rather stay home and go to a near by university and at least save on the cost of living.

i have this spring semester and hopefully summer...i think it would be wise to retake as many courses as i can this spring though, do you agree?
These all sound like good ideas.

I agree with what others have said, don't waste your money with a post bac, you just need to retake a few classes you did poorly in. Post bacs won't make up for a poor undergrad gpa. With A's in the pre req's you should be good.

OP, I can't sugar coat this; you have done a lot of damage to your GPA. You are not a competitive candidate for medical school as of right now.

I suggest retaking all F/D/C science grades and using grade replacement to aim for DO schools. If you're boning for the MD degree, then aceing a post-bac or SMP along with a strong MCZT score are required.

You don't need to do retakes at your UG school.

Really hope @Goro has something better to tell you. But Serenade and Albino pretty much gave you the only options you have right now. Retake your Cs.

I have retakes and upper level Bio classes from 7 different colleges (online, CC, 4-yr Unis, Harvard). Just get the A.

That I am not sure how to do. Most people I know who retook classes went to their former undergrad after a year or so or just stayed a 5th year (they were cheap options for them)
You just go as an undeclared. Or if you are still a candidate for student loans then you need to declare some major. Only the school cares. The med school doesn't. I did my retakes 3 years after I graduated. It was at the same university but I did is as an undeclared person the second time around.

Move back home, save your money.
No one cares where you do your classes, just do well in them.
Yes, you should start now, this semester with GPA repair.