Need Advice for Reapplication (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entropyxi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some sound, hard advice on my reapplication attempt this coming June 2011. This was my first round: Interviews from University of Illinois and Rush University in February, rejected from Rush 4/1 and I haven't heard from Illinois for the past 2 adcom meetings (February and March). My cumulative GPA is 3.48, science 3.37, 31 Q on the MCAT. My science GPA suffered one semester sophomore year when I had mono, and I picked it up every semester after that with more advanced coursework (probably average 3.6 each sem after sophomore year - I explained this on the application and not on my personal statement at all). I graduated 2010 with a bachelors in neuroscience and have taken the year to do some behavioral/pharmacological research at NIMH in the neuroscience lab. I had a year of research before that. I have solid recs from my past professors, including my boss here at NIMH, I have 58 hours of shadowing, 1 year of volunteering at a hospital, a lot of community involvement with a leadership position (either tutoring or running habitat for humanity), worked through summers in college as a carpenter, I was on a varsity sport (pole vaulting) for years, and I do stained glass/metal work as a hobby. I applied to schools based on my likelihood of acceptance (all of the Illinois schools since I have state residency there, though I work in Maryland) and a few out of state schools: Dartmouth, George Washington, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Mount Sinai, University of Vermont, Tufts, University of Cincinnati, University of Maryland, and Wake Forest. Most of my secondaries were in from mid September until early October (was this too late?) Most of these schools accept a decent number from out of state. I received secondaries from every school except Wake Forest, and my essays were good (I had multiple English majors review and edit them, and I also have a background in literature/heavy writing). I'd like to think the interviews (2) went well, I was personable and definitely got everything I wanted about myself across and took time to answer/listen carefully. I may not hear from UIC until June, and I haven't been put on any waitlist. So, I'm planning for next year. I have already volunteered in programs in my community. Should I keep my job as a neuroscience postbac researcher at NIMH? Should I take on a science course or two to bring my GPA up? Should I find more volunteer opportunities at a Hospital? Should I change my residency to Maryland schools instead of Chicago schools? (Maryland doesn't have as many med schools as Illinois). I need sound, hard, objective advice. I want to be a doctor more than anything, and I know I have worked and will work tirelessly to be the best I can. Any help would be terrific. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes, it would certainly be in your best interest to take a few more upper-level science classes to beef up both your sGPA and cGPA.

2) That school list could use some work. Aside from your in-state schools, your list was, IMO, too short and too top-heavy. This time around try to include a good number of safeties. (...as well as some DO schools perhaps?)

Out of curiosity, what was your cGPA and sGPA entering your first application cycle? Overall, I think your ECs are fine, and your MCAT should be enough to get your foot in the door. The biggest concern in your application is your GPA.

1) ok sounds good, I will look into some upper level science courses soon.
2) 16 schools is too short? I understand it is top-heavy, I did not know there were "safeties" in my range really - any come to mind? I would consider some DO schools if that is what I need to do.
3) My cGPA and sGPA that I listed were the GPAs that I entered the application cycle with. cGPA 3.48 sGPA 3.37.

thank you for taking the time to advise me.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I did not know there were "safeties" in my range really - any come to mind?

Correct, there wouldn't be any true safeties, but here are some OOS friendlies with modest stats:
- Nevada
- East Virginia
- Marshall
- Meharry
- Louisville
- Tulane
- Albany
- Utah
- NYMC
- Toledo

If you were to take another years' worth of classes (30 credits) and maintain ~ 3.8 you'd end up with a 3.55 cGPA, which would move you closer to the average GPA for most of the schools listed above.

I have graduate classes available nearby, however, I can only take courses starting in the fall 2011 (night classes will be fine, but I need a job so I won't be able to take day classes). The classes will not factor into my GPA until the semester ends in December/January and beyond. With this scenario put me in the same position I was in last year? I should have been taking courses this year, but I had no idea that my GPA was killing me...which sounds ridiculous now, but my advisor informed me that they take into account the school's reputation, etc. Ugh.

I have graduate classes available nearby, however, I can only take courses starting in the fall 2011 (night classes will be fine, but I need a job so I won't be able to take day classes). The classes will not factor into my GPA until the semester ends in December/January and beyond. With this scenario put me in the same position I was in last year?

My only concern is that you are basically reapplying with the same credentials as your first cycle (less the research gig). If you choose to reapply to some of the same schools, they will surely be looking for substantial improvement.

I should have been taking courses this year, but I had no idea that my GPA was killing me...which sounds ridiculous now, but my advisor informed me that they take into account the school's reputation, etc. Ugh.

Wouldn't be the first time that a misinformed advisor led an applicant astray :). If I may offer a personal opinion on the graduate coursework, I suggest going with more undergraduate coursework instead. In my experience, graduate GPAs tend to be a bit inflated (which AdComs are aware of) and thus are more difficult to use as an objective measure between candidates.

I have undergraduate courses available for fall 2011 as well as graduate level. Your opinion makes sense. I'll have to rethink which schools to apply to - my advisor was just not very helpful in that area, she said my list was great. I guess I'm just hoping this next cycle that they will see that I'm still educating myself with the coursework, that I have continued community involvement/hospital volunteering, and that I will have substantially contributed to research in behavioral/pharmacological neuroscience. Would you go so far as to recommend that I wait another cycle to apply while I take 2 or 3 courses a semester for a year? I just don't know if that would be helpful.

Would you go so far as to recommend that I wait another cycle to apply while I take 2 or 3 courses a semester for a year? I just don't know if that would be helpful.

Nope. I say go ahead and apply this cycle (with a more conservative school list) while taking more classes in the meantime. This way, should your upcoming application cycle turn out poorly, you'll have a fresh set of grades and (hopefully) an upward trend.

To figure out how many classes you want/need to take over the next year, play around with some numbers. See how many additional credits would be required to bring your GPA up to where you want it.

Ok, sounds like a plan. Thank you for all the help

So after thinking a lot about this process last night, some more questions/uncertainty sort of got hold of me. I need to know the best course of action for applying in state for the next cycle. Considering my stats and the fact that I am not a part of an underrepresented group, where would having state residency (Maryland, Illinois, or Kentucky) be most beneficial to my chances of being accepted at a school? I have to take into consideration that I have applied to Illinois schools as an instate resident this past cycle with only two interviews, 1 rejection, and 1 that I may be on some kind of waiting list. I applied to Maryland schools this cycle without in state residency and did not receive an interview at all. I have the option to move to Kentucky as well. Thanks again in advance to anyone that can lend some advice.

Going by the numbers, you might have a better chance staying in Illinois. There are four schools in Illinois where you have a reasonable chance of being accepted, whereas there is only one realistic school for you in Maryland, and only two in Kentucky.

Also, the fact that you received two interviews in Illinois last cycle is reassuring. This means that you were not too far off, there were probably only a few small things that kept you out (maybe some combination of LORs, essays, personal statement, etc).

Ok, that's exactly what I came back to. Thanks again - trying to make the possibilities into reality. What about California as residence? Do medical colleges want you to work with the communities near them/do they regard that work as more of a commitment to the school?

Even if you have extensive ties to Illinois (lived there most of your life, family is there, Illinois driver's license, and you expect to continue living there after the job)?

Yes, though it's mainly UIC it would be an issue for (tuition-wise). Rush, being a private school, it shouldn't make a difference.

OTOH, whether you planned it or not, you may well soon be a resident of Maryland. Every state has slightly different rules; you might check on that.

I think you applied to many schools that are too selective for your stats. Even the schools on your list with relatively low mcat scores such as the DC schools and wake are very unpredictable and hard to get into. I would focus on schools that are more in your range, MCW, St louis, RF, NYMC, VCU, Creighton, Albany, Oakland. It helps a lot to apply as early as possible to most schools.

OK, thanks reddoc. I was never guided on how to apply/where to apply to...I just tried to use common sense and apply to schools that fit my MCAT score and geographically where I had some ties. I recently found out about a volunteer rescue squad program nearby and went on two ride alongs. I thought the patient exposure was terrific - think I should pursue this mainly for patient exposure/working as a team/humanitarian qualities? I could commit to that or to a more flexible schedule at a health clinic for the homeless. I haven't visited that site yet. Mainly I just want to with patients and DOING something to improve their lives (crazy compulsion, I know). I'm also teaching a three week intensive neuroscience course for underprivileged children at my alma mater. I'm still going to take 2 undergrad classes to boost my GPA...thing is is still won't matter because I'll have the same stats when I reapply this year...I just don't know.