PhD/PsyD Need advice for Social Psychology Ph.D. with Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainBigTuna

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm 24 right now and after a lot of self-discovery over the last 6-10 months have realized that I want to pursue a Ph.D. in the field of psychology. The topics that I am most interested in researching are in the domain of social psychology with how technology is changing the way ideas are being spread and how it's affecting individual's day to day lives.

In addition to wanting to do social psychology, I would also love to work for myself in a therapy setting helping individuals with emotional problems like anxiety and depression.

Realizing that a degree in social psychology doesn't prepare me for licensing and being able to practice therapy, is it worth going down the unconventional path of a Ph.D. in social psychology and then spending 2 additional years doing clinical training?

As for my next steps, I am looking to get involved with a grad student to perform research as an RA. Is this the only path or is there another way to gain experience with supervision so I can do both academic research and therapy?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, you want to get a PhD in social psychology and then do a respecialization program to allow you to sit for licensure?

Don't do this. Just go to an accredited program in clinical or counseling psychology if you want to get licensed and do clinical work.

You can easily incorporate social psychology topics into your clinical research during and after grad school.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above--given your goals, it makes more sense to go to a clinical/counseling psych program and incorporate aspects of social psychology into your research than it does to go to a social psych program and attempt to navigate the minefield of respecialization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Realizing that a degree in social psychology doesn't prepare me for licensing and being able to practice therapy, is it worth going down the unconventional path of a Ph.D. in social psychology and then spending 2 additional years doing clinical training?

Absolutely not worth it. If you are sure that you want the clinical training, then attend a clinical training program. No question about it. You can take social psychology courses as electives and incorporate social psych methods/questions into your research. It seems like there are plenty of clinical implications/applications for the topic that interests you.

Thanks so much everyone, didn't think of doing it that way. Appreciate it!

Just wanted to chime in that several students in my clinical program actually had social psychologists serve as their main thesis/dissertation advisors. I had a few social psychologists on my committee, as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to chime in that several students in my clinical program actually had social psychologists serve as their main thesis/dissertation advisors. I had a few social psychologists on my committee, as well.

Seconding this; we also commonly had non-clinical folks sit on our committees (in addition to the Dean's rep, who was required to be from outside the department). Between my thesis, comps, and dissertation, I had folks from I/O, Cognitive, and Bio.

Perhaps you can find a psychology department that houses both a clinical and social program and where it may be possible to work with social psychology faculty.

Reactions: 1 user