Need advice for unique situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reed0104

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated this last fall, and am applying to med schools this summer. My GPA is 3.3ish and I will be taking my MCAT this august. The questiomn is if I should take acouple of my chems over this spring for prep. for the MCAT and to bring my GPA up a little. I got 2 B's in Gen. Chem but want A's. My question is how does that look? I mean, do admissions folks expect students to do better on the MCAT if they take clsses over or have more time to prepare? (all summer) I've taken some other upper division bio. classes and plan to take Pharm., hist., and patho next year while waiting to hear from admissions. Any advice on how retaking classes looks or what to do this coming year while waiting for potential interviews would be appreciated. Thanks,
Bryan

------------------
Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

Just reading your posting, I had to reply. I have not been accepted to a school yet, but hopefully you can learn from some of my mistakes. My first year of application to med school (junior year of undergrad) I applied to about 15 schools. I made application as soon after June 1st as possible, however I did not take my MCAT until August. While my advisor told me this was fine, looking back I don't think it was that wise. I did not do as well as I would have liked on the MCAT, but I don't think that is what hurt me as much as the time factor. While all of the schools you apply to will open a file on you and most will send you supplementals (they want that extra money), they will not really look at your file until those August MCAT scores come through (somewhere around mid-October). If your scores are stellar (10's and 11's at least) you might still get an interview; if they are only average (8's) don't expect anything further. The simple truth is that most schools have their classes filled by the time they start looking at those applications with the August MCAT scores. I found this out from a student who also applied early but took the MCAT late(scored a 33) and only got one interview from an instate school out of about 15 schools he applied to. By waiting until the next year to apply you have the advantage of retaking the MCAT in April if you need to up your scores before re-applying.

As far as retaking the Chem classes, I think it would be more impressive to take some more upper level classes and do well in them (i.e. upper level Psych classes, Biology or Chem classes). B's are not that bad. Organic Chem was not my strongest class (I got C's). Rather than taking the class over I took several upper level Biology classes which raised my science GPA significantly my senior year. A 3.3 isn't that bad of a GPA and it will improve the more classes you take and get A's in. The more science classes you take and do well in, the better your science GPA will be (you didn't mention what that is currently).

Basically I wanted you to be aware that you will probably not get interviews until after those August MCAT scores come in (it might be different if you had a 4.0 but probably not). I know it probably seems like putting off applying for a year is not that appealing, but there are a lot of things you could do with that time that would be beneficial (i.e. volunteering or working in the medical field, taking more classes to boost your GPA). You get the idea.

Of course all of this is my opinion. I have moved in the last year and only applied to one school for this fall, but I was granted an interview and hope to receive an offer. My friend that I mentioned reapplied the following year and got interviews and acceptance offers to all the schools he applied to.

Good luck with your plans.

Renee

I agree with everything Renee said. You might want to just take a year off - I know it sucks - but at least you won't be waisting your money. I took 2 years off - it was great. I'm going too med. school next Fall. I also took the Aug. MCAT and applied to only 1 school that year - just to taste the water - I got an interview but didn't get in. Also, don't rush to take the MCAT until you are ready!! It always looks better to have a good score on your 1st trial.
Good luck
Nicolas--

------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same thing last year as what you're planning to do. I took the august mcat and applied (my junior year). My grades were pretty good and i had great extracurricular activities. I thought i had a pretty good chance even though i was taking the aug. mcat but boy was i wrong. Initially, i planned to take the april one but school got in the way and so i deferred it. Taking the august mcat i think is harder in that the curve for it is higher. The mcat is curved for the nation i believe in order to make it indeed "standarized." Anyways, during the summer the curve is generally higher b/c people have more time.
Also like renee said, applying on time or even early doesn't mean jack if the schools have to wait for your scores. If you take the aug. mcat it'll be like applying in late october. I talked to numerous counselors and they say that the only time that you would have an advantage is by applying on june 1st. That first week is when there aren't many applications so that AMCAS/AACOMAS can quickly process your apps and send them to your school. Thus, it's crucial that you have everything ready by then. In my case, i didn't heed this advice and applied anyways and just ended up losing a lot of money. This time i applied early and i got early interviews (october). With an early interview i was able to have a better chance of getting accepted b/c there were a lot of seats available. I got invited to 6 interviews and went to only 4 b/c i got accepted to those first 3 (wait-listed on 1).
I'm a pretty bad procrastinator and last year i paid the price. This year i simply sucked it up and went against my slacker ways and as you can see the results are a lot better. In regards to what to do in the mean time, you should be staying active in school and volunteering so that you can get some nice letters. Schools like letters as recent as possible. You should be taking some difficult bio or chem classes to show that you're capable. It is however imperative that you do extremely well. You can also try a post-bac program.

After listening to the previous posts I would suggest starting today and studying you butt off for the MCAT and taking it in APRIL. I don't think it is too late to start studying now. I didn't start until about this time last year and still got a 33 by studying old Kaplan books ( I did not take the course) and other MCAT books I picked up at the book store.

I took the April MCAT, was invited for an interview in early Sept. and was accepted the first week of Oct. it really took a lot of stress off my life.

Whatever is right for you good luck.

Carrie

I know that there are a lot of reply already but I still want to give some input. I am a first year in Nova and I totally agree that taking the Aug MCAT is a total disadvantage to student that apply in the same year. I can tell you that most premed counselor have no idea abou this. I took the aug MCAT 3 years ago and apply and I got only one interview. Then i retake the Mcat a year later in april and reapply and got 3 interview with 2 acceptance and 1 waiting list.

I certainly don't suggest you retake the chem again because you are not failing the course! Take upper advance science or take medical school related course such as medical microbiology, physiology, immunology, embroylogy, biochemistry, anatomy, some nuroscience, endocrinology etc. If you do good in these types of classes, you will inpress the school. What I just told you was my tactic to get into medical school. This is a mind game and if you need to win, you need to plan. Make sure if your retake your Mcat, there is improvement.

Good Luck

Just some quick thoughts...I too took the August MCATs before my senior year of undergrad. I applied to 10 schools and received 1 interview and no acceptances. This year I applied by June 1st to 8 schools. I received 4 interviews and 1 acceptance so far. My advice is to take the advice of the other bright individuals who have responded to your post! Good luck!

Matt

in case you haven't got the message....WAIT TO TAKE THE APRIL MCAT. i'm not trying to be a smartguy, but only want to reinforce the importance of what these distinguished people are trying to get across. i start DO school next Aug. and consequently taught the MCAT class for Kaplan. the one thing i told all my students was to take the spring MCAT...for one reason only: you get a three month head start on everyone who is taking it in Aug. your "file" will be completed and hanging around the admissions "desk" longer. this way, the admiss. committee will look at you appl. first and your chances of getting an interview begins to skyrocket. trust me...like some of the other respondants, i learned the hard way. keep in mind, that extra year gives you time to do volunteer work (very important in the eyes of the admissions monster), perhaps do some physician job shadowing in specific medical specialties of your interest..very good idea, and take some more science classes to make that GPA slope go up (alot of schools look for drastic GPA improvement over time, not solely on the actual GPA number...numbers can be misleading). so i probably wouldn't waste my time taking those chem classes over...you didn't do bad at all-hell, i did worse-because the won't dent your GPA when weighed against all your other credit hours. also, apply to AACOMAS and AMCAS as early as you can...i think june 1st is the earliest...this will do wonders for you chances of getting the all important interview, which what i believe will be most difficult part of school. good luck and apply to as many schools as you can afford...don't make the mistake of limiting yourself, different schools look for different qualities in their candidates. hope this helps. rene

[This message has been edited by RC (edited 01-17-99).]