Need Advice from people of mult acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmberE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please no rude or bashing comments. Only comment if you are willing to be informative.

For all of you people who have gotten multiple acceptances, what about you stood out to the admissions comittee(?). By the way, CONGRADULATIONS!! Now that you can rest assured that you have gotten in, please help those of us who have yet to apply. I am sure most of you know your strong points and what helped you get in. Please let us know, and this will not look like anyone is being cocky, we just want to see how we can improve our own apps. Please list list the following, it would be very helpful to the rest of us:
Schools accepted at:
school your going to:
Major:
Cum GPA:
science GPA:
MCAT:
work experience and length of time (medically or not):
volunteer work and length of time:
Oustanding LOR (from whom, pre-med commitee, doctor, ect.):
Any advice having been through the process:
Any input on this would be very helpful to see the people who are getting in and to see who some of use and going to be up against. I see so many people who apply to so many schools but never get in and then some of you have multiple offers, which is awsome, but please let us in on your secrets!
Thanks so much for any input!
Amber :)

Members don't see this ad.

Come on people, I know you have some valuable input.

Members don't see this ad :)
AmberE said:
Come on people, I know you have some valuable input.

Many of us have a profile at mdapplicants.com. I suggest you check them out.

Schools accepted at: UCSD, UCI, NYMed, UMiami
school your going to: UCSD I guess
Major: Psychology w/ High Honors, Post-Bacc
Cum GPA: 3.66
science GPA: 3.57
MCAT: V9, P11, B10, WS
EC'S and length of time: Clinical 4.5+ yrs w/ leadership positions, Research 2.5+ years w/ publications, conferences etc.
work experience and length of time (medically or not): Worked all the time too in various positions/capacities
volunteer work and length of time: See above
Oustanding LOR (from whom, pre-med commitee, doctor, ect.): 2 letters from science faculty, 1 from psychology mentor, 1 from current research mentor, 1 from free clinic supervisor
Any advice having been through the process: Don't listen to pre-med advisors

AmberE, although I'd love to help you out, you have to realize that replying to your request is essentially like filling out an application. I did 20+ apps this past year, and really don't feel like doing anything that closely resembles one. www.mdapplicants.com is probably your best bet since people do list all the stuff you asked for there (with the exception of LOR info)

THanks so much for the ones who have taken time to post. I do understand those of you who are sick of the app stuff.
Anyone not too sick of it I would like your input. You never can know too much before going in medicine.

click on my mdapplicants profile.

it allows you to check our stats without us having to post a page of information.

oh yeah adding LOR information

5 letters.

3 science letters from professors.
1 humanities letter from professor.
1 volunteer letter from my supervisor.

To the OP, Go ahead and check out my MD applicants site 1599

The biggest advice is to follow what you enjoy. Don't get caught up in becoming a resume builder (check research box, check volunteering box, etc) but more so get involved in things that you find really interesting the pertain to medicine and follow through with them. The biggest thing medical schools want to see is if you really know what your getting into. Think about it, as a potential doctor from their school, you are an investment for them, and they want to make sure they are admitting people that are confident in their choice to become a doctor.

So find things to challenge yourself and prove to yourself that this is what you want to do. Once you can do that, then its easier to prove to the adcom that your the type of student that they want.

Last bit of advice that a multiple school applicant once told me; don't be afraid to play with your heart. Put your passion into your premed activities and it will show, your letters of rec will be stronger, you'll be able to articulate better at interviews, etc. I know it sounds a little cheesy, but I've found it works.

Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have more specifics.

there's a link to the mdapplicants profile in my signature.....it has basically all the info youre looking for.

Form connections and social contacts with people that can help you. This includes research professors, science teachers in college, humanities professors, the premed committee at your school, and potential admins of the college and PIs at your school and other schools you might be working at.
Show enthusiasm in what you do; never do something "because it looks good."

If they depend on you, you need to do everything in your power to help them, to make them have confidence in you and your abilities. They will greatly help you when you need it. I think this strategy will help you even if you are in business, or in teaching, or research, not just medicine.

The GPA, the MCAT, the type of work that shrills excellence, that is truly your passion. All these will help you get the interview. Apply extremely early, apply to schools in your home state, work 1-2 months on your primary essay.

i'll answer stuff as best i can. but there's NO SECRET FORMULA, despite what others may say. med school applicants are effectively equations with an infinite number of solutions, so the best you can try to do is estimate the best solution.

AmberE said:
Schools accepted at: UF, USF
school your going to: that's a good question... get back to me in June
Major: microbiology
Cum GPA: 3.97
science GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 35
EC'S and length of time: bike team officer for 2 years (unless you're really gonna do something, don't waste your money of the pre-med clubs)
work experience and length of time (medically or not): worked two summers as a patient transporter in the hospital
volunteer work and length of time: about 5 semester of hospital volunteering (different departments)
Oustanding LOR (from whom, pre-med commitee, doctor, ect.): i dunno... i never saw any of my letters, but i did have one from an assistant prof at a med school
Any advice having been through the process: try to get into a school you'd be happy going to early - then you can only interview at the top-notch schools, thereby saving money by not having to interview at your "safety schools" (which there really is no such thing anyway)

I agree with what eveyone else has said so far pertaining to involvement in EC's/solid LOR's etc etc.... Here is a bit of directed advice.
1). APPLY EARLY...start writing your personal statement before you can even send in your AMCAS application, so it will be ready when the first date that you can send your app comes. Return secondaries early too...they don't do you any good if they sit on your desk(as many of mine did for months)

2). Get involved with research that will allow you to get published. I've been very fortunate to get multiple acceptances and I did not have any published research, but I KNOW being published is a huge plus. Don't do it just to build your resume however, do it because it is something you want to do. Adcoms can see through your application.

3). Pray to whatever higher authority you believe in(if you believe in one at all....)

Good luck!

somekevinguy said:
there's a link to the mdapplicants profile in my signature.....it has basically all the info youre looking for.

Don't look at his mdapp. profile! It will only make you depressed!

Nice work man...I'm jealous!

Go to mdapplicants.com. Everything you want besides LOR information is posted there. Why should people have to post information twice just to satisfy laziness?

~AS1~

I've found success for the same reasons that other people found success. My numbers are strong and I've done a lot outside of academics. I worked as a TA and I completed an honors thesis.

The other big thing is to write a compelling, great, personal statement. Good luck and really take your time on your application.

I was accepted to a handful of med schools back when I applied (fall of 2000). My GPA wasn't great (around 3.5), but my major was in bioengineering...so that may have swayed the adcoms a little? I had a decent MCAT (mid-30s), spent every summer working or doing research (or both), had solid extra-curriculars during my school months, and worked 40 hours/week throughout all 4 years of college. (The 40 hours were accumulated through 2 different jobs, one of which was a very nerdy one as a physics TA :) .)

I'm a firm believer that GPA isn't everything. :thumbup:

First of all when I posted this I didn't even know about mdapplicants.com. Thanks to all, now I do. Secondly, nobody has to post anything if they don't want to. Thirdly, I hoped that arrogant, rude people wouldn't post, but I guess some people are too lazy to read the original post which read "no bashing please." If you don't like the thread, DON"T POST!!
(Also I have recieved some great advice that can't be found at mdapplicants.com.)

AlternateSome1 said:
Go to mdapplicants.com. Everything you want besides LOR information is posted there. Why should people have to post information twice just to satisfy laziness?

~AS1~

AmberE said:
First of all when I posted this I didn't even know about mdapplicants.com. Thanks to all, now I do. Secondly, nobody has to post anything if they don't want to. Thirdly, I hoped that arrogant, rude people wouldn't post, but I guess some people are too lazy to read the original post which read "no bashing please." If you don't like the thread, DON"T POST!!
(Also I have recieved some great advice that can't be found at mdapplicants.com.)

Sorry, but I have to agree with AlternateSome. People who are interested in posting their #'s have already done so on mdapplicants. As for the "extra advice" on LOR's, EC's, etc...that can be found in so many other threads here on the forum.

umm, I would have liked to have that info when I was applying too so here goes.

GPA 3.9
(sci 3.7) Went to a State University of insignificant USNEWS rating : )

MCAT 29R (9B, 9P, 11V) : proof that MCAT isn't everything.

Undergrad research in neuroscience, French and Poli Sci double major with one year postbac training. One year abroad, employed pt as CNA. Currently employed at NIMH. Actually pretty standard extra curriculars.

Accepted 4 schools: Uof Arizona, OHSU, Uof Washington(going here), and George Washington University--withdrew from UCDavis, Tulane. Regected at NW, Emory, Tufts post secondary.

My advice:

Apply early

interview really well, be prepared, be smart, be funny when needed, be dressed neatly and be professional but cordial, and most of all know why you want to study medicine.

Get fabulous letters of recommendation from people who know you well--can't stess this enough, and don't be afraid to send more if you think someone else can add something to your file. I think I had 6 letters, three research related, 2 academic, 1 science professor.

Finally, much like when investing, you must diversify (unless you are a Westinghouse scholar--in which case that alone will get you in) that means humanities, science, community service, and learning a foreign language for example. Medicine is a trade of many skills, so let your inner diletante shine.

I mean uhh, dilettante--people seem to get irritated when they see spelling errors, sorry. :oops: