Need advice: How do you know when it's "the One" and when to move on?

Chemical X

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in medical school (first year), and ever since I started I have been having increasing doubts about my relationship. I love my partner a great deal (we have known each other since HS, and have been together for almost 4 years, living together for most of that time). We share a home, a pet, and a life together, and the thought of not having him in my life makes me extremely sad. However, I am not sure if we have what it takes to spend the rest of our lives together or not. My problem with evaluating this is that I'm an extremely pessimistic person, particularly when it comes to relationships, so it is hard to know if my doubts are the irrational result of my emotional baggage or if they are legitimate concerns.

Neither of us had good role models for relationships growing up--in fact, they were downright awful (domestic violence, alcoholism, abuse, etc). His mom is twice divorced and currently single, and both his dad and my mom are on their third marriages (don't know my dad). Given this background, it is probably not surprising that we aren't in a huge rush to get married, although it is something we have discussed (along with children) a great deal. I think we are both trying to overcome the models we grew up with, but we don't always succeed--we have yelled, called each other names; I even slapped him once (years ago), and he threw a remote control at me not that long ago. While these aren't daily occurrences, the fact that they have happened at all makes me wonder if we can be healthy together. We have talked about couples counseling, but I almost feel like if we need that now before we're even married, what hope do we have of a happy marriage and well-adjusted children?

It is hard for me to know if our fighting is "normal" or excessive, since I really don't know what that means from personal experience. On TV and in movies, couples rarely argue, and everything is promptly and lovingly resolved. Obviously this isn't realistic, but the abusive people that surrounded me (us) growing up weren't healthy either, so how much fighting is "okay"? I would say we argue on a weekly basis, but most of these are relatively minor disagreements that are fairly easy to resolve and involve little if any shouting; bigger arguments happen maybe every 2 or 3 months. The stress of school has exacerbated this, and we have had several large arguments just in the 6 months or so since I started med school. I feel like he is generally supportive, but not as much as he could be, and I don't feel like he really understands the pressures I am under at school (he is still in undergrad). I have always been plagued with doubts about this and past relationships--basically I never feel 100% secure about the person I am with, and am very sensitive and emotional which makes it difficult to get along with a partner.

I have never been one of those Pollyanna types who feels like each day is better than the next in her relationships--do people actually feel that way in real life? I'm pretty cycnical, when I hear people talking about how their partner fills them with a blissful joy they never knew was possible and things like that I tend to think they're full of it--but maybe I'm the one who's wrong, and that's how you should feel about the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Don't get me wrong, my boyfriend makes me happy most of the time, and our relationship has been a source of comfort, stability, and hope for me over the years--hope that I can have a normal marriage and family someday despite my background. We've traveled extensively together and had a lot of fun, and we're very compatible as far as things like money, religion, politics, etc. go, but we've also had our ups and downs, sometimes some pretty nasty ones. I feel like we're at a point (both in our mid-20's, several years into a relationship) where if we're not sure we want to spend our lives together we should call it quits and move on; I'm not ready to do that yet, but I'm not sure about marriage with this person either. I guess I'd just like to hear what people think, as far as arguing goes (how much is healthy) and how to decide if you're with the right person or if you're stuck in a bad relationship. I know there's no magic formula, but it would be helpful to hear what people think, particularly how they've made these decisions (to get married, or to end it) in their own relationships. How do you know (or how did you know) when you're with "the One", even if it's not perfect (since nothing is), and when you're settling and putting up with too much?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no magic formula and some people I think are never destined to have this be an easy choice.

Here is my own experience.
I fell in love in my earlish 20s and KNEW I was meant to be with this person.....but I also had in the back of my head the feeling that even though we loved each other....we weren't meant to be together forever. I would have stayed because at the time, thats what I thought you do when you have love. But love does not make two people compatiable and we broke up after a few years of living together.

Then, when I was almost 28 and not looking for anyone, I went out with a man that at the end of the night, I KNEW I was going to be with forever. We hugged goodnight, and in that moment, everything did disappear except us. It was so easy! We have now been married 7 years, together for 8 and he is as much my soulmate today as ever. The thought of 50 years together makes me sad cuz I know it won't be enough. He is an MSIV and although we have disagreements that lead to discussions....we have never fought or yelled at each other.

But, I know I am one of the lucky ones. Not everyone has it be so clear. However, I DO know that if I had stayed in my first relationship (after all, there was lots of love), I would never have been available for my soulmate, easy, lifelong relationship.

Good luck!
With smiles,
Wifty

I think when you're not able to have good fights, and you're not sure what you want, and you didn't have good marital role models growing up, you're excellent candidates for counseling. Counseling isn't just to put long-term relationships back on track after years and years. It's also to teach you how to work with each other and how to fight fairly, how to figure out what matters to one another and help you get it. Please give it a try.

I don't believe there is "One". :rolleyes: The idea of "One" is a bunch of hogwash we feed to our kids in the form of fairy tales and silly Hollywood movies with unrealistic endings. :thumbdown:

There were a number of times in which I met someone and thought to myself, "Oh, he seems like the One". Maybe it's just me but I have never been interested in one man for too long. However, there were two guys in my past , one in high school and one in undergrad, who were able to captivate me for years but ever since those two I have had an "ADD" for men. :laugh: I lose interest very easily...

The only hope I have in regards to a great lifelong relationship is when I see my parents' marriage :love: . But other than that I am a full blown cynic.

I'm still in the dating phase of my life and feel no pressure to get married. Thank goodness I wasn't raised by parents who pressured me into getting married! I am an unusual gal. :laugh: I don't know why so many people think they are going to find happiness through marriage or a lifelong relationship with the "One". I have other aspirations and projects which make me content. :)

So if you feel this relationship is not a happy one, just get out of it ASAP and find other things to fill your time. There is a lot more to life than dating/mating/getting married. That's what I can't stand about most women I know. They make such a big deal about meeting "the One"...there is MORE to life! Geez! :rolleyes: