need advice if I should withdraw my application

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Bevo, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    I was beginning to think about this, is whether I should withdraw my application or not. I got a 21 on my MCAT in August and will be taking the MCAT again this april.
    I have a post bacc gpa of 3.1, science post bacc gpa is 3.0. Both fall once you compute in my previous college experience to the 2.6 or 2.7 range (I can't remember right now).

To refrain from going into a long lengthy explanation, I am only applying to a few schools right now. TCOM, CCOM, NYCOM and PCOM and 2 Israeli schools.

I wasnt applying to all my schools right now because of some advice from my pre med advisor and the whole other story.

So with my stats would it be foolish of me to continue on with the application? I know my chances are slim but I was at least hoping to get an interview or two to get some experience. The only school I really mind about becoming a reapplicant is TCOM because I am Texas resident.

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member

I would say go ahead and keep your applications. I got a very similar score and applied to 10 DO schools and IM being very hopeful. I have a a couple of questions of my own......if my file is complete except for my DO letter, will the schools call me for an interview if they like me or will they wait for the DO letter to come? Also should I send in my new MCAT scores from August to speed things up or will they get the scores soon?

4. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member

5. spanky

spanky Member

HI SuzyQ:

I know that only some schools require a DO letter (like NSUCOM). At those schools, they will not call you for an interview until they receive a letter. I know MSUCOM does not require a DO letter, so you that should not hold you back unless s/he is one of your recommenders.

6. outgolfing

outgolfing Member

i think you should keep the application and not withdraw...actually better way is to ask the schools that you want to go to if they look down upon people who apply more than once.

suzyq.....all schools require that you have some type of recommendation from a doctor...i think....and if your apps are not complete..they won't even take a look at it, so if you stated that you will be sending recommendatoins....send it in as soon as possible , don't be a slacker like me.....about the mcat scores if you requested it to be sent to the school...just email the school to see if your scores have came in

hope this helps,
    comp 2006

7. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member

When the DO letter is sent in is beyond my control. I gave the forms to my DO a month ago and he hasnt sent them in yet! He said they should be done within the week though.....its just so aggravating knowing not its no longer in my control!!:eek:

8. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    tell me about it! Im still waiting to get my pre med committe interviews done! I did my part well over a month ago and Ive been getting excuses every week about why I have to wait another week! And my texas app stuff, TCOM, is due by the end of the month! grrrrrr

I have to get in touch with the doctor who wrote me some letters of recomm for NYCOM, CCOM and PCOM to ask if he doesn't mind forwarding the recommendation to TCOM. I asked him to send it to my pre med office so they could have it on file, but I have feeling it got thrown away or maybe it never got sent(but I doubt that).