Need Advice in General

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celibel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once before I posted a thread explaining my situation and several people said I needed to grow up and stop "blaming" other factors for my choices. It was not on this website. I know what I have done. I know is my fault and I WANT TO FIX IT so I can go to Med School. However, I don't know or see how and I need a solution to the problem. So, please help me by giving me your advice and not judging me.

Now, this is where I stand. I have just finished my third year at a Cal State. I have 3.39 overall, 3.40 general, and 3.39 science GPA. I spent my whole freshman year getting straight B's because I didn't know any better. I am first generation and my parents have a 6th grade education. I am the only person who speaks English in my family and all my cousins my age are pregnant. The only reason why I am mentioning this is because I am trying to get across the fact that when I came to college I had NO IDEA about what college was, let alone that I wanted to be a doctor. I spent about a year hoping around from major to major until I finally settled on Biology. I got straight A's for 3 semesters and this semester even though I tried my hardest I got straight B's. As of EC I am only volunteering at a hospital and I could be starting research this summer but it is in marine biology and I feel that since is not even related to medicine it would be a waste of time. Plus, I am not even interested in doing research.

So, after considering all that plus the fact I am seriously frustrated at seeing my dream become (what it seems) less achievable by the day I am thinking I should just change my major to Anthropology. Why? I calculated my GPA this way and if I get straight A's doing this path my general goes up to 3.68, science 3.65 and overall 3.71 whereas if I do Biology and get straight A's my general would be 3.4, science 3.63 and overall 3.62. Now, this is doing Bio and classes are harder. At this point I am just trying to survive and get my GPA as up as I possibly can so then I can go to a post-bac. Oh also, I forgot to mention. I am taking 5 years in undergrad because of the whole changing majors multiple times. It would take me the same amount of time to do Anthro or finish Biology.

Or...I have gotten so far as to think I should just drop my dream of becoming a doctor. Drop out of school and start all over again at a Junior college from scratch, but major in Engineering instead.

Sorry for the SUPER long message. I am just SERIOUSLY frustrated. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

-I WANT TO FIX IT so I can go to Med School. However, I don't know or see how and I need a solution to the problem. So, please help me by giving me your advice and not judging me.

-finished my third year at a Cal State. I have 3.39 overall, 3.40 general, and 3.39 science GPA.

-I spent about a year hoping around from major to major until I finally settled on Biology. I got straight A's for 3 semesters and this semester even though I tried my hardest I got straight B's.
-As of EC I am only volunteering at a hospital and I could be starting research this summer but it is in marine biology and I feel that since is not even related to medicine it would be a waste of time. Plus, I am not even interested in doing research.

-I am thinking I should just change my major to Anthropology. Why? I calculated my GPA this way and if I get straight A's doing this path my general goes up to 3.68, science 3.65 and overall 3.71 whereas if I do Biology and get straight A's my general would be 3.4, science 3.63 and overall 3.62.
-I am taking 5 years in undergrad because of the whole changing majors multiple times. It would take me the same amount of time to do Anthro or finish Biology.
Comments: It doesn't matter what type of research you do. It could be psych, or linguistics, or econ. Marine Bio is fine too. But get in at least a summer of research, as 60% of those applying will list it, and it makes an application stronger.

Many wll also list nonmedical community service, physician shadowing, leadership, and teaching. Try to get ECs in these areas too. Clinical experience is already in the works, which is good.

Average MD acceptees have stats of cGPA 3.67/BCPM 3.61/MCAT 31.1.
Average DO matriculant has a 3.47/sGPA 3.36/MCAT 26.49. These are goals to shoot for, but lower stats can still get you accepted somewhere, especially if your ECs are strong.

Overall, or cumulative (cGPA), and BCPM GPA/science GPA are the numbers that will mainly be looked at, not your "general" GPA, by which I think you mean AO GPA (All Other). Stick with the major you enjoy the most as you're more likely to get the excellent grades you need.

Be aware that AACOMAS DO schools only count the most recent grade if you retake, which is helpful if you had any really low grades early on. MD schools average all grades earned from all schools attended.