Need Advice: Masters Vs. Post-Bacc For Medschool App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CousCous1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to take Biomedical Engineering as my undergraduate major, and it ended up giving me a low GPA (~3.1), which is not competitive for medical schools.

My engineering (science focused) classes took a toll on my science GPA (~2.8).

I am still driven to go to medical school, and even with an exceptional MCAT score, I want to boost that GPA up. Outside of my GPA, I have over 1000 clinical hours and 400 non-clinical hours. I have worked as a Scribe and ran EMS for ~2 years now. I have been doing medical research for ~2 years. I also am involved in my college and hold leadership positions in different organizations.

What should I do to improve my application? I have always been interested in doing my MHA or MPH, but I am also considering other options (other Masters programs vs Post-bac)

Members don't see this ad.

Given your low science GPA, I would go for a masters in a science field - prove you can handle the rigors of med school. Graduate level biochem, cell bio, pharm, or physiology show much more readiness for med school than mph classes.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your BCPM GPA (biology, chem, physics, math -- exclude engineering course)?

When do you plan to take the MCAT? Have you taken any practice tests? If yes, what was your (most recent) score?

What alternative career can you see yourself doing if you never get admission to medical school? (Most pre-meds never get to med school.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as @LizzyM asked above, I think your BCPM GPA excluding engineering courses will help mold this decision. If your BCPM GPA and cGPA are both above the 3.0 cutoff at most medical programs, I would go with the SMP! If not, you may need the PB to put you over that threshold. Whatever your decision, a SMP definitely couldn't hurt and completing one with an affiliated medical program gives you a good shot at acceptance there, at least as long as you crush the program and receive a respectable MCAT score (510+ for MD).

Whatever you choose, good luck!

I decided to take Biomedical Engineering as my undergraduate major, and it ended up giving me a low GPA (~3.1), which is not competitive for medical schools.

My engineering (science focused) classes took a toll on my science GPA (~2.8).

I am still driven to go to medical school, and even with an exceptional MCAT score, I want to boost that GPA up. Outside of my GPA, I have over 1000 clinical hours and 400 non-clinical hours. I have worked as a Scribe and ran EMS for ~2 years now. I have been doing medical research for ~2 years. I also am involved in my college and hold leadership positions in different organizations.

What should I do to improve my application? I have always been interested in doing my MHA or MPH, but I am also considering other options (other Masters programs vs Post-bac)
Read this:
Goro’s advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Engineering courses can be tough on a GPA, so you may get some leeway from AdComs -- but you'll have to get past the autoscreens and first impressions before you can even hope for that leeway.

Your GPA might be low because your coursework was just that hard. In other words, you really are pretty darned smart and would have been a 3.8 student in a regular Bio major. Or, your GPA might be low because of all the bright students in your classes, you weren't actually among the brightest - sorry. The only real way for AdComs to determine which category you belong in would be by comparing you to other students in a neutral setting -- so your MCAT score and/or via an SMP.

If you have a strong MCAT and believe you're in the first category, an 'official' SMP with a med school linkage might be just what you need to make your case. (An MPH or other science master's program that is not an SMP will get discounted heavily because grades in masters programs are generally considered to be inflated.)

If your MCAT is only 'good' and/or you have a sneaking suspicion that you might not be all that bright, then I'd try a DIY post-bac (again, not a 'regular' science masters - grade inflation) and take lots of heavy-duty science courses and do whatever you need to do to accumulate a really strong 2 years of academics. (If your senior year GPA was good, that might be all you need.)

Either way - you're in a shallow hole now. You can absolutely climb your way out if you plan and execute well.

What is your BCPM GPA (biology, chem, physics, math -- exclude engineering course)?

When do you plan to take the MCAT? Have you taken any practice tests? If yes, what was your (most recent) score?

What alternative career can you see yourself doing if you never get admission to medical school? (Most pre-meds never get to med school.)

Without the engineering courses, it is about 3.0.

I am trying to consider whether to take the GRE or the MCAT. I have taken the MCAT practice tests a couple of times, and my most recent score was ~518. I have also been doing pretty well on the GRE practice tests as well.

If I don't get into medical school, I can see myself going into Information Technology or research.