need advice! mcat score of 8M!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't even know that score was a theoretical possibility, I thought there was some floor on the MCAT. And who are those 28 med students who got less than a 14 on the MCAT? http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

Did they have raunchy sex with the dean of admissions?!!

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

If you look at the AAMC table, people really have gotten 8 in the past. 8M...Jesus. If you randomly guess on the whole test I think you'd end up with a 9 or 10.

And who are those 28 med students who got less than a 14 on the MCAT?
That's pretty amazing, but I'm more interested in the 2705(!!!!!!!??!!!?!!) applicants with less than a 14. You'd have to be extremely delusional to even consider applying with those numbers in the first place, but how it it possible that they make up 5% of applicants? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha aww kg216=P dont edit ur posts ;)

Sorry Bannie, trying to keep it civil the thread is for someone who needs advice, not to be catty and immature. No more editing, I swear:cool:

How the hell do you get an 8? You are either really lazy and never learned and studied the material, OR, you're just an idiot.

Either way, I'd hold out on the whole being a doctor thing until you correct those problems.

Really, do not try to become a physician. You're not smart enough. And if you are smart enough, and "family stress" caused your score to drop 5 standard differentials from your target score, you are not emotionally stable enough to be a physician.

It's OK, the first six times I took it I didn't score above a 10 (6J,6M,9O,7K,7O,6Q), but then I studied a bit and made a 46T. You can do it OP! :rolleyes:

shista! that's a-mazing!

So what's the score breakdown? 3/2/3? 4/1/3? 1/1/6?

Some harsh reality: if you put "C" for every answer in the science sections, you would likely get a 3. On verbal, you'd get a 2. Behold, this kid got the score you would get if you put "C" for every answer.

So what's the score breakdown? 3/2/3? 4/1/3? 1/1/6?

Some harsh reality: if you put "C" for every answer in the science sections, you would likely get a 3. On verbal, you'd get a 2. Behold, this kid got the score you would get if you put "C" for every answer.

Hey, at least the OP knew that C was the most likely correct answer on a multiple choice test! You gotta give credit where credit is due! :laugh:

Yea, what a loser. Everyone knows you put down 'C' ONLY IF THE QUESTION NUMBER IS DIVISIBLE BY 3 OR 7. Even numbers get B or D. Prime numbers get A.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty amazing, but I'm more interested in the 2705(!!!!!!!??!!!?!!) applicants with less than a 14. You'd have to be extremely delusional to even consider applying with those numbers in the first place, but how it it possible that they make up 5% of applicants? :confused:
It almost seems like you would have to intentionally put down the wrong answer to get that kind of score. Would a low MCAT score be a way of bragging? Is it like saying "I knew the right answer on ALL the questions, and I intentionally picked the wrong one, that is why my MCAT score is 2".

If you ever do become a doctor, I say you get 8M embroidered on your white coat, just to warn your patients so they can't sue your ass when you commit malpractice. :smuggrin:

There are alot of special undergrad+med combined program where people have to main their gpa and just take the mcat as formality.

There are alot of special undergrad+med combined program where people have to main their gpa and just take the mcat as formality.
How would that help if the OP is probably almost done with undergrad?

Now, now. Maybe we're just looking at 8M the wrong way...

OP, is it a balanced 8M? :smuggrin:

How would that help if the OP is probably almost done with undergrad?

I think they are referring to the stats above quoting people getting in or applying with obscenely low MCATs.

anybody who's screen name has any slight resemblance to chelsea is plain stupid.

u might have the best team this year. but ancelotti is going to ruin it because he just cant win u leagues. and real madrid is winning the champions league anyway!

You have to understand that the MCAT still has to be decent in these programs. Drexel BS/MD requires the maintenance of at least a 3.5 and a 30 with at least a 9 on each section. If you don't meet these requirements, they kick you out. And when I interviewed at some of these programs, even if they don't have a minimum requirement for the MCAT, they still say "... as long as you don't bomb it." The level of student who gets into a BS/MD program is much less likely to end up with a crappy MCAT anyway.

You have to understand that the MCAT still has to be decent in these programs. Drexel BS/MD requires the maintenance of at least a 3.5 and a 30 with at least a 9 on each section. If you don't meet these requirements, they kick you out. And when I interviewed at some of these programs, even if they don't have a minimum requirement for the MCAT, they still say "... as long as you don't bomb it." And the level of student who gets into a BS/MD program is much less likely to end up with a crappy MCAT anyway.
A minority of BA/MD programs (I forgot which) don't have any minimum MCAT requirement. The "as long as you don't bomb it" is meaningless if it isn't part of the deal.

I hope you're not a troll. But in case anyone searches these forums, I'd like to answer seriously.

8M as you know, is not a great score. I'm guessing you must have freaked out?

I did not do as well as I had hoped the first time I took it. But if you're willing to work for it, I believe a lot of things are attainable. Obstacles are what you see when you lose sight of your goal. So, create a plan.

Some suggestions:

I have heard of some Caribbean schools starting in the spring. Take a breather and re-evaluate.

Is there an area that you truly don't understand? If you're having trouble teaching yourself, have you considered taking a mcat prep course?
Since you have a low gpa, have you thought about going back and retaking the courses? Getting a low grade in a prereq class may mean you haven't full understood the material - which in turn could affect your ability to do well on the mcat. Going offshore is expensive, and a lot of students don't pull through. It's a huge financial investment with many more obstacles than going to a school in the US. I know you want to start as soon as possible, but the cost of pushing yourself too quickly can greatly outweigh the benefits.

A year isn't as long as you imagine it to be. Take the year to become a better applicant. Maybe you should also consider a SMP? Do things that you won't be able to do for a long time. The year will pass quickly and you'll be better prepared for med school.

yeah chelsea. i suggest u have to re-study for it. and look at the carribean or DOs=)

wow guys, way to be harsh :(

Don't take it too hard. It's just not something you see everyday. Take a breath, re-evaluate what went wrong and definitely get yourself into a prep course of some sort.

What were you averaging on practice tests? Did you get nervous? Do you have test anxiety?

Figure out what went wrong and go from there.

wow guys, way to be harsh :(

Sorry, chels. I'm sorry this seems harsh but you came here asking about chances with an 8M. Check out the responses people get when they get the score you got on the entire MCAT on a single section!!! :scared:

Other than some tangential jokes, most of this thread started out pretty nice, although some have gotten a bit nasty and made some inappropriate remarks, but don't take those personally... most of us can't really believe someone actually got an 8 on the MCAT. It's sort of unreal, so people crack jokes.

Anyway, Aggie had some good suggestions and questions. Consider those and move forward. It's all you can do at this point.

An 8M? Get the heck outta here, that's impossible.
one can infer that based on the statistics, for every 40 there's essentially a corresponding 8. (yes i know the data is skewed you stats folks)

one can infer that based on the statistics, for every 40 there's essentially a corresponding 8. (yes i know the data is skewed you stats folks)
...but the data is skewed! :p

y isit skewed... so chelsea

can u tell us ur distribution?

You know it's a troll if the distribution is 2.66 2.66 2.66 (repeating) lol

Testing your hypothesis:

Score| Percent achieving score | percentile
40| 0.2 | 99.5-99.6
8 | 0.4 | 0.5-0.8

You're wrong. :p

Edit: Data is for 2008. (Or if you took the test 2009 these were the numbers you were given).

Last edited:
wow really? when i took it a 41 was a 99.9th. humph. interesting.

edit: even more interesting- there's DOUBLE the number of 8s! haha i guess the skew is not the direction i assumed it was.

I'm sure the OP got an 8 average. That is after all how people used to tell others how they scored.

I'm sure the OP got an 8 average. That is after all how people used to tell others how they scored.

doubt it, the OP would have corrected everyone by now if that were the case. And many people have an average that isn't a whole number and I never see people say "I got a 12.3333333" on the MCAT. The only place that reports MCAT scores as the average on each section is U.S. News.

yeah chelsea. i suggest u have to re-study for it. and look at the carribean or DOs=)

No DO school would let someone in with an 8. DO is getting more and more competitive every year, so to expect to get in ANYWHERE (except the Caribbean sketchy schools) with that score the OP would have to be in severe denial.

No DO school would let someone in with an 8. DO is getting more and more competitive every year, so to expect to get in ANYWHERE (except the Caribbean sketchy schools) with that score the OP would have to be in severe denial.

He meant after re-taking the MCAT.

Just wondering .... To the person who got a 8M what was your percentile ranking?

Testing your hypothesis:

Score| Percent achieving score | percentile
40| 0.2 | 99.5-99.6
8 | 0.4 | 0.5-0.8

You're wrong. :p

Edit: Data is for 2008. (Or if you took the test 2009 these were the numbers you were given).

^somewhere there? 0.5-0.8?

but hes not coming back

u mega troll!!!

*waves fists*:smuggrin:

OP, I think you should confess to being a troll even if it's not true. You'll definitely get more respect than as some guy with an 8M.

I didn't even know that score was a theoretical possibility, I thought there was some floor on the MCAT. And who are those 28 med students who got less than a 14 on the MCAT? http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

Did they have raunchy sex with the dean of admissions?!!

the floor on the MCAT is 3J ;) I bet it's happened at least once in the past.

the floor on the MCAT is 3J ;) I bet it's happened at least once in the past.

I want to meet that person as that is impressive to evade the right answer on almost every question of a multiple choice test.

I want to meet that person as that is impressive to evade the right answer on almost every question of a multiple choice test.

isn't that almost as difficult as getting every question correct?

one imagines it is 3 times easier.
through statistical analysis and applied econometric models taking in the test takers' bias towards certain answer choices and the psyche of the pre-medical test taker I've also come to the conclusion:

p~3x greater +/- .0001% with statistical significance.

To be completely honest. Why would you consider becoming a doctor if you aren't even going to try studying for the exam. I don't think that your post is serious. Call me a troll, but... how could you not know what post bac is... :idea: just pick another career like an orderly perhaps? No joke I think you might like it better.. I hear it's WAYYYY harder than being a doctor. If your score is directly related to the seriousness of your pursuit of completing medical school then my comment's level of sarcasm is directly related to the seriousness of my suggestion... i hope that makes sense because either way i'm laughing at your joke or i'm suggesting that you study harder.... but i'm just a guy with a sham wow.

^i didnt know what a postbac was till i spent some time on these boards

through statistical analysis and applied econometric models taking in the test takers' bias towards certain answer choices and the psyche of the pre-medical test taker I've also come to the conclusion:

p~3x greater +/- .0001% with statistical significance.
:lame: I hope you don't talk like this in real life...