Need Advice on Chances for Allopathic US Schools this Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandMann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, if possible, I need some constructive advice if anyone would be so kind. I'm a 28-year-old non-traditional student (had changed careers from high school teacher to medicine). My science and overall GPAs are both 3.7's and I have solid activities and letters of recommendation. Unfortunately, I took the MCAT for the first time recently and scored pretty low on it: 26Q (6VR, 9 BS, and 11 PS). I have a terrible feeling that the 6 VR is really going to destroy my application for lots of medical schools. Believe it or not, I had been scoring consistently around 10's on all the sections in past practice exams. I know I can do better.

Unfortunately, I took the MCAT so late that it was impossible for me to re-take in September and I had also already submitted AMCAS primary and some of the secondaries to 17 schools. So given the circumstance, I'm just applying now. Realistically, how impossible are my chances? Am I pretty much screwed for this application cycle? I'm praying for a miracle but I doubt there will be any since there are so many qualified applicants.

Thanks everyone. It absolutely doesn't feel great spending all that money to realize your prospect of admission is slim to none!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to say, I cannot offer you any hope. While there are some state schools where you might have gotten in with an MCAT of 26, the verbal of 6 has killed your chances. I suggest you pull the plug on all your applications and plan to retake the MCAT again, then apply next year. As it seems the score you got was a fluke, you could retake in January if you're so inclined, giving you time to retake again in April or May if need be. Take a look at the threads in MCAT Discussion Forum that deal with tips on raising the verbal score. Regroup. Stay strong, determined, and focused. Don't give up. Just adjust your timeline by a year and apply in June next time for the best chance.

With a 3.7/26, you would have a decent chance if you applied to any DO schools (but your VR...). Your MD chances are slim to none but if you get a secondary, go for it. A 26 is high enough to at least get a look at a few schools. Your VR 6, though, as you mentioned, is likely to hurt you pretty badly. Did you apply to any schools with low VR score averages/10%iles?

You're a good candidate for DO, even with a 6VR, imho. MD will be tough. If you're URM I think you may have a shot at Morehouse and Meharry