Need Advice on My Four Year Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am really sorry to be bugging you guys about this, but I was getting some anxiety about my four year plan that I am making (Attached below). I would love it if you all could glance it over and see if you think I'm on the right path to apply to a good number of schools (nothing top 20, just state and local schools, with a good number of DO). I will avoid discussing EC in this thread, as I'd like to focus on the courses I will be taking.

Some questions I'd like to ask regarding my courses:
1) Will this enough to apply to most med schools?
2) Will this be enough by the time I take the MCAT (Junior Year, Spring)? I plan to also take the Kaplan course and self study a good bit.
3) Should I add anything or move anything around? I'm kinda worried as I'm not sure how rigorous the semesters I have laid out will be. In other words, I want to get everything done on time but not be super overwhelmed.
4) Any additional advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much for your help!

-Dd3.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• History Pre-Med.docx
    14.3 KB · Views: 88
Hello Everyone!

I am really sorry to be bugging you guys about this, but I was getting some anxiety about my four year plan that I am making (Attached below). I would love it if you all could glance it over and see if you think I'm on the right path to apply to a good number of schools (nothing top 20, just state and local schools, with a good number of DO). I will avoid discussing EC in this thread, as I'd like to focus on the courses I will be taking.

Some questions I'd like to ask regarding my courses:
1) Will this enough to apply to most med schools?
2) Will this be enough by the time I take the MCAT (Junior Year, Spring)? I plan to also take the Kaplan course and self study a good bit.
3) Should I add anything or move anything around? I'm kinda worried as I'm not sure how rigorous the semesters I have laid out will be. In other words, I want to get everything done on time but not be super overwhelmed.
4) Any additional advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much for your help!

-Dd3.
What you have lined up is a pretty good and well balanced schedule that should not be too difficult for the average successful Pre-MD matriculant. My only concerns with your schedule are A) You are taking Psych a full 2 years before you are taking the MCAT and B) you are taking Physics 2 and Biochem the same semester you are taking the MCAT. This means that for Psych, you will want to do maybe an hour of Psych review a week for those two years until you start dedicated MCAT time just to keep it fresh. For Physics 2 and Biochem, those have some fairly high-yield topics so either you will need to heavily study independently to take a march/april MCAT, or you will need to take a late May/early June MCAT which isn't that late. Just be aware.

I might suggest moving HIST Eastern Asia from sophomore year to senior year 2nd semester (unless it is a HIST major pre-req for the other classes) so that you can shift Physics 1 and 2 back one semester. This way, you are only taking 12 credits the Semester you are taking the MCAT and that will make self-studying/kaplan more manageable alongside your coursework.

The fact that you made this means you’re planned and ready. I would suggest moving some hours so you take less the semester before or during your MCAT and put them once senior year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you have lined up is a pretty good and well balanced schedule that should not be too difficult for the average successful Pre-MD matriculant. My only concerns with your schedule are A) You are taking Psych a full 2 years before you are taking the MCAT and B) you are taking Physics 2 and Biochem the same semester you are taking the MCAT. This means that for Psych, you will want to do maybe an hour of Psych review a week for those two years until you start dedicated MCAT time just to keep it fresh. For Physics 2 and Biochem, those have some fairly high-yield topics so either you will need to heavily study independently to take a march/april MCAT, or you will need to take a late May/early June MCAT which isn't that late. Just be aware.

I might suggest moving HIST Eastern Asia from sophomore year to senior year 2nd semester (unless it is a HIST major pre-req for the other classes) so that you can shift Physics 1 and 2 back one semester. This way, you are only taking 12 credits the Semester you are taking the MCAT and that will make self-studying/kaplan more manageable alongside your coursework.
Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, I cant move physics back any farther, as its only offered in the fall and spring semesters (for 101 and 102 respectively). I can however move a PSCI Class in the semester I would take the MCAT to my senior spring semester to lighten the load to 13 hours which would allow more studying.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, I cant move physics back any farther, as its only offered in the fall and spring semesters (for 101 and 102 respectively). I can however move a PSCI Class in the semester I would take the MCAT to my senior spring semester to lighten the load to 13 hours which would allow more studying.
You’ll be so used to college by senior year that 15 hours will feel like 10 anyways

Swap out your bio classes that you are taking with physics 1 and 2. Delay Bio 160 and anatomy. Also, take biochem your first semester of your junior year.

The fact that you made this means you’re planned and ready. I would suggest moving some hours so you take less the semester before or during your MCAT and put them once senior year.

Agreed! Also, don't be afraid to be tactical and move things around down the line if it is needed. However, It is great to have a 4-year plan to get your mind thinking ahead and staying organized with requirements/credits.

Agreed! Also, don't be afraid to be tactical and move things around down the line if it is needed. However, It is great to have a 4-year plan to get your mind thinking ahead and staying organized with requirements/credits.
Thank you!!! You have no idea how much that puts my mind at ease, lol