Need Advice on PS section!!! PLZZZ!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellab17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am scheduled to take my Mcat on Jan 23 and I have yet to improve in my PS section score. I took AAMC test #4 and made a PS 6. I got 70% gen chem and 34% physics, so I am figuring that may be my overall scale score is suffering b/c of my low physics performance.

I don't have that much time before my test date, so I wanted to know if any one had any advice on what is the most effective way about studying/preparing for physics so that I can increase that part of my PS score?

I know many ppl have said TBR physics is good, but I unfortunately left that book out of state with a relative on accident. I have kaplan online resources and TPR hyperlearning. Should I use those instead or should I try to get the TBR physics books asap, b/c they are worth it? (also I am not as great at physics, I prefer gen chem..)

Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it will be unrealistic for you to go through all of TBR physics with a little over two weeks left. What may be possible is to pinpoint your weak physics topics and then read the appropriate TBR chapters and do those practice problems.

A score of 6 tells me that you still have deficiencies in content. I don't know what particular score you're aiming for, but have you thought about postponing?

Do practice problems. Don't bother reading and rereading long chapters for PS at this stage. Start actively doing problems to identify what subjects you need to relearn. for physics you need to have a good grasp of the equations and when to use them.
Take the physics SA and identify each topic you need to study more. Read about those more in the TPR books (that is sufficient IMO), do a few EK1001 problems, and then hit up SWB passages to refine it more. It shouldn't take more than a day IMO to *really* learn 2-3 PS concepts.

I think you can still swing a 9-10 on test day. study hard, and do a lot of problems.

also 70% on GC isn't that great either. I would consider postponing if you are aiming for 30+ score

You should postpone IMO... Getting even 70% overall in PS will only yield an 8 (or a 9 with a lenient curve). With a 6 in PS, I think you are in the 50% range now. I think it is quasi impossible to bring that up to 75%+ in 2-3 weeks, which might be a 10.

Reactions: 1 user
postpone.
Use Wikipremeds Physics Flashcards. The best source of Physics prep besides reading the long TBR book. I would put it's value over TPRH SW problems because they are a bit too easy, whereas the flashcards really make you think.