need advice on visiting campus's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

be67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I live in Kansas, originally from Hawaii, I applied to 12 different schools, 10 of which are far in distance, and I am not able to go and visit these campuses. is that going to hurt my chances of getting in? Is there anything I can do that will help my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on whether or not they require the interview. Call or email each school and ask about it.

There are schools that will flat out reject you if you don't do the interview and some only use it as a way of further distinguishing candidates.

May I ask why you applied to schools that far away if you didn't have the means to go visit or interview at them? Was it just a matter of casting a bigger net? You may have just wasted a lot of money of application fees if that was the case.

You should take into account the location of the school. I've seen others on this forum say they rejected an invitation for an interview because they couldn't afford to travel there. This begs the question: Why apply there in the first place? Some schools require the interview. It's part of the application. If you don't interview, they'll discard your application. The web-site should make it clear if they require an interview. Other schools will do a phone interview (I don't know what all don't), and some schools don't have an interview at all. I'd travel to your priority schools.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt really elaborate much on the subject I apologize. I will make it out to whichever school offers me an interview, but before the interview decisions even go out, Im not able to just go and get to know any of the staff. I heard from some individuals that its who you know, and that if you can visit the campus's and make sure the application staff know who are, that they can match the application to a face, that it would help your chances tremendously. Thats kind of what i was getting to. Any thoughts?

I heard from some individuals that its who you know, and that if you can visit the campus's and make sure the application staff know who are, that they can match the application to a face, that it would help your chances tremendously

That's absolutely true.

Some schools actually require you to go to an open house before they even do interviews. Either Duke or Elon are one of these types I believe.

For some schools, it doesn't hurt, but it certainly helps. When in doubt, call and ask.