Need Advice on what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgk27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I like everyone am in the midst of trying to get into 2017 matriculation. I have been wait listed to one school and am waiting to hear back from another school. If I don't get accepted to the school I am waiting for and am either wait listed or rejected what should I do? I don't want to lose another year and wait list is no gaurantee. Should I apply to a post-bacc program? If I do apply to post-bacc and get accepted, what would happen if I get accepted off wait list?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your stats? What do you want to practice?

There are technically 3 things you can do:
1- Do nothing and apply in June.
2- Apply for a post-bacc (most med schools that have post-bacc programs will forward your application to them).
3- Caribbean (SGU).

Hello everyone, so I like everyone am in the midst of trying to get into 2017 matriculation. I have been wait listed to one school and am waiting to hear back from another school. If I don't get accepted to the school I am waiting for and am either wait listed or rejected what should I do? I don't want to lose another year and wait list is no gaurantee. Should I apply to a post-bacc program? If I do apply to post-bacc and get accepted, what would happen if I get accepted off wait list?

You really need to give more info for any real advice. You could have a good app, but just applied really late, you might need just a few class retakes to significantly improve your GPA, maybe you need to retake the MCAT. In general, most things are fixable, and you still might be able to reapply in June.

If you have the money and don't want to sit around, you could apply for a post-bac program, but aim for one with linkage (LECOM seems like a pretty cheap option, but your location and school of interest will affect that decision a good amount).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.2 sgpa 3.3 cgpa with a 24 MCAT. I did apply later in the cycle, October to be specific, but have been granted 3 interviews. I am looking for a DO school primarily because my stats are not good for MD. I just don't know if I should do a post-bacc or wait to see what happens with wait list. I have taken the MCAT twice..wasn't ready for it the first time, the second time was a 24. Just seem to have trouble with it, but know the information. Any advice what route to go with?

I have a 3.2 sgpa 3.3 cgpa with a 24 MCAT. I did apply later in the cycle, October to be specific, but have been granted 3 interviews. I am looking for a DO school primarily because my stats are not good for MD. I just don't know if I should do a post-bacc or wait to see what happens with wait list. I have taken the MCAT twice..wasn't ready for it the first time, the second time was a 24. Just seem to have trouble with it, but know the information. Any advice what route to go with?

The three options that I posted earlier are your possibilities. Try to apply in June but maybe retake the MCAT over the summer? Try Post-Bac or just apply normally but early.

There are many people with similar stats that got into newer schools.

What happens if I do get accepted to a post-bacc and then the school decides to take me off wait list and accept me? Once you apply to a post-bacc and/if are accepted are you committed to it?

You shouldn't lose hope completely that you won't be pulled off the waitlist. However, it would be foolish not to plan ahead starting from now. If you don't want to retake the MCAT, which a 24 is probably the minimum competitive at the low end for DO, then you should raise your grades by enrolling in a post-bacc. LECOM has a great 1 year program that is still accepting applications. If you maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in their program with your MCAT you have a great shot at being promoted to their DO program the following year, after a formal interview of course. However, it still is not a guarantee.

My advice to the OP: 1) Retake MCAT if this is financially and mentally viable for you knowing that you have a good chunk of time to prepare etc.
2) If not retaking the MCAT, enroll in a post-bacc to raise grades for DO.
3) Caribbean is always an option, but staying in the US is preferable.
4) Hopefully you get pulled of the wait list!:)

What happens if I do get accepted to a post-bacc and then the school decides to take me off wait list and accept me? Once you apply to a post-bacc and/if are accepted are you committed to it?

I doubt it would be hard to get out of any program. Things happen. I'd say you'd probably just lose any money or deposits to the program. You aren't committed to doing anything, and I'm sure there are a ton of other people in the exact same situation as you.

As far as your stats go, you are on the low-end for both, but an early app might make the difference between getting in and getting rejected. You could either retake the MCAT (only if you think you will do significantly better - i.e. >27), retake classes for grade replacement, and/or just reapply in June. You might as well apply to a linked post-bac, because at least its something, but only do it if you have the money.

I know I am on the low end of medical school...when you say both are you saying for both DO and MD or for DO and a post-bacc?

I know I am on the low end of medical school...when you say both are you saying for both DO and MD or for DO and a post-bacc?

Actually by both I meant MCAT and GPA. You can get into a DO program, you are just on the low end stat-wise, since averages are around 3.45 and 26.

As far as US MD goes, I don't think you have a shot with your current stats, especially with a 24 MCAT. If you retook and got >30, I would say you might have a shot (still a longshot) and should try for it if its what you want.

If you really want MD, a good SMP might be worth it, but you'd really have to get a higher MCAT score.