Need advice on whether I should apply this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivivous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have a pretty unique situation and I'm really torn between whether I should apply late this cycle or not.

During spring semester in my senior year of high school, I was indicted of an academic honor code (cheating) from having a brought practice problem during an exam. I'm deeply remorseful of this situation, and it's haunted me since. It was on a college class taught by webcam in which I was in danger of failing, and I had emails from the adcom that they would rescind my acceptance if I didn't pass it. Through a very ill-thought out and immature decision making process, I decided to cheat and got caught. This is on my college record. I came into college with a 1.5 gpa.

I'm a 4th year ORM now slated to graduate with no conduct issues since I've been at the university.

cGPA 3.76 sGPA (AACOMAS) 3.92
MCAT - 506

My major accomplishments during college were:
1) Teaching - TA for intro Bio (3 semesters, increased the average GPA for the course from 3.3--3.7), intro Chemistry, intro physics, and a TA for a pre-health advising class, tutored for athletes in history and upper level chem courses

2)Resident Advisor in which I've had to advise and help residents through mental health issues, academic issues, and familial problems as well as integrate them into a strong positive community

3)Co-edited and authored intro bio textbook with 2 other professors

4)President of an honors society (2 years), VP of leukemia/lymphoma society (2 years), Secretary of religious organization on campus (1 year), chair of the data collection branch of a volunteering organization (1 year)

5)Roughly 600 clinical hours from scribing + clinical research in a dehydration lab

6)Volunteer to pack lunches for financially struggling students, volunteer at sunday school at my religious institution + volunteered at a underserved clinic for a summer (non clinical volunteering ~150 hours)

7)Shadowed Pediatrician, Orthopedic Surgeon, and Cardiologist (~90 hours)

8)Long-term research project/prototype to providing relief to a refugee camp in the middle east by working on a long-term affordable heating solution + work with raising money to help disadvantages and war torn areas in the middle east

I would really appreciate any feedback of any kind--good or bad. Thank you all for taking the time to read this!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a mark on my transcript for academic suspension after a semester of F's. By the time I applied I had brought my GPA close to yours. No schools even mentioned the academic suspension in interviews, MD or DO. I think cheating is more significant and could hamper your chances at some schools, but I think its far enough in your past and you've proven with time that the mistake was truly a mistake and not a long lasting character flaw.

Do you have professors that can write a LOR for you to reinforce the fact that you are honest and trustworthy?

If I were you I would still apply. I'm no adcom or anything so take my advice for what its worth (not a lot).

Good Luck!

You are fine and on time to apply for DO schools. Just a note, I don't think your clinical research in a dehydration lab will count as clinical hours. I think clinical means time committed to patient care as opposed to a study.