General Admissions & OTCAS Need advice on which programs to apply to (MOT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parker3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I posted a thread a few months ago in regards to my low cumulative GPA (3.1) and my chances to be accepted into an OT program. I have since decided to mainly apply to schools that take the last 45-60 credits gpa rather than cumulative. By the time I graduate this summer I should have between a 3.68-3.75 on my upper level course work (last 60). My prereqs are also all completed with the exception of physics (will be taking this fall).

These are the schools I have chosen to apply to: ATstill , TWU, Nova Southeastern, San Jose State, USA, Samuel Merritt, Bay Path, West Coast U, Spingfield, and Creighton (regis pathway).

The reason I am applying to AT stills, BPU, and Springfield is because i heard they sometimes accept student with less than stellar cum. GPA's. Also creighton/regis (denver) is very close to family so figured id give it a shot since I know I would never get into Colorado State. But other than those 4, I believe all of the other programs only factor in the last 60 GPA for admissions decisions.

I am wondering 1. is this is a good strategy? and 2. which of these schools will I have the best shot of getting into? Also, if anyone has any other schools that they believe I may have a good shot at getting into, please let me know. I plan on having all of my applications out by late September to help my chances.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I have re-posted my complete stats below.

University: University of Texas Permian-Basin
Major: Psychology. Minor: Biology and Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.1
Pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.6 (depending on school)
Last 60 GPA: 3.68-3.75
GRE: Taking in June.

Work experience: Firefighter/Paramedic certified with 4+ years of fieldwork experience working with patients suffering from mental illness, stroke, paralysis, etc.

OT hours: 80 hours in hospital rehab department (ongoing). 40 hours in home health. Hand clinic 40 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I think you have a great shot of getting in. Only thing I wish I would've done differently this application cycle is to apply early !!!!!! Make sure you don't wait till deadline date. Most schools do rolling admissions & accept students as they receive them. You should also apply to Towson. They look at last 60 units! & they don't do rolling admissions....They require physics but you can have some in progress courses at the time of application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello! I think you have a great shot of getting in. Only thing I wish I would've done differently this application cycle is to apply early !!!!!! Make sure you don't wait till deadline date. Most schools do rolling admissions & accept students as they receive them. You should also apply to Towson. They look at last 60 units! & they don't do rolling admissions....They require physics but you can have some in progress courses at the time of application.

Thanks for the response.

Ya, I really want to try to get my applications done and sent out as early as possible. I hear it helps a lot.

I was actually looking at the requirements for towson earlier today. I think I will apply there as well. If I were to have already completed physics I could have even applied for early admission :(.

Have you been accepted anywhere yet? If you don't mind me asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I got rejected from a school that I know accepted a few students with 3.3-3.4... I didn't even get called for an interview because I applied the last day. I later scheduled an appointment to speak with the director to ask what I could improve on & she said I had good stats but that they were pretty much full and had just sent out the last interview invitations.

Still waiting to hear back... I tried to apply primarily to schools that don't do rolling admissions. So only 5 total. I made the second round at Towson and am scheduled for an interview at the end of the month! Towson really looks at GPA though.. the last 60 units have to be from your undergrad institution. For my senior year I got a 3.9. so I think that kinda helped me lol I just hope I get in somewhere this application cycle!!!!!

Yes! I got rejected from a school that I know accepted a few students with 3.3-3.4... I didn't even get called for an interview because I applied the last day. I later scheduled an appointment to speak with the director to ask what I could improve on & she said I had good stats but that they were pretty much full and had just sent out the last interview invitations.

Still waiting to hear back... I tried to apply primarily to schools that don't do rolling admissions. So only 5 total. I made the second round at Towson and am scheduled for an interview at the end of the month! Towson really looks at GPA though.. the last 60 units have to be from your undergrad institution. For my senior year I got a 3.9. so I think that kinda helped me lol I just hope I get in somewhere this application cycle!!!!!

Wow. that is unfortunate but i'm sure you will still get in somewhere.

Ive heard some good things about Towson's program so hopefully you can get in there this year. If not than at least you will have plenty of time to get your apps in early for next year. I already have almost all of my OTCAS information completed other than my remaining classes and LOR, I know its super early but oh well lol.

Yes that's true. Hopefully I hear back soon tho! Haha it's never to early! Some peop submit apps as soon as the cycle starts. Good luck with everything! :)

Hello everyone,

I posted a thread a few months ago in regards to my low cumulative GPA (3.1) and my chances to be accepted into an OT program. I have since decided to mainly apply to schools that take the last 45-60 credits gpa rather than cumulative. By the time I graduate this summer I should have between a 3.68-3.75 on my upper level course work (last 60). My prereqs are also all completed with the exception of physics (will be taking this fall).

These are the schools I have chosen to apply to: ATstill , TWU, Nova Southeastern, San Jose State, USA, Samuel Merritt, Bay Path, West Coast U, Spingfield, and Creighton (regis pathway).

The reason I am applying to AT stills, BPU, and Springfield is because i heard they sometimes accept student with less than stellar cum. GPA's. Also creighton/regis (denver) is very close to family so figured id give it a shot since I know I would never get into Colorado State. But other than those 4, I believe all of the other programs only factor in the last 60 GPA for admissions decisions.

I am wondering 1. is this is a good strategy? and 2. which of these schools will I have the best shot of getting into? Also, if anyone has any other schools that they believe I may have a good shot at getting into, please let me know. I plan on having all of my applications out by late September to help my chances.

Work experience: Firefighter/Paramedic certified with 4+ years of fieldwork experience working with patients suffering from mental illness, stroke, paralysis, etc.

OT hours: 80 hours in hospital rehab department (ongoing). 40 hours in home health. Hand clinic 40 hours.

It sounds like you're taking classes this current semester. That should help raise your overall GPA, shouldn't it? Also, some schools have the option of submitting a supplemental essay explaining a low GPA. If you feel like there's a good reason for a lower GPA, that may open up some options for you! Also, don't be afraid to go to info sessions (for schools in your area) or call the admissions office at schools you're interested in and ask about the GPA. I also advise you to have a KILLER essay and recommendations-- these may help make up for a lower GPA if the school looks at your application more holistically.

It sounds like you're taking classes this current semester. That should help raise your overall GPA, shouldn't it? Also, some schools have the option of submitting a supplemental essay explaining a low GPA. If you feel like there's a good reason for a lower GPA, that may open up some options for you! Also, don't be afraid to go to info sessions (for schools in your area) or call the admissions office at schools you're interested in and ask about the GPA. I also advise you to have a KILLER essay and recommendations-- these may help make up for a lower GPA if the school looks at your application more holistically.

Yes, I am taking classes this semester and for the summer semester but the highest I can possibly get my GPA is around a 3.15. This is mainly due to me getting 4 D's my freshman year in college. That is the main reason I was leaning towards only applying to schools that only factor in the last 60 credits.

Yes, I am taking classes this semester and for the summer semester but the highest I can possibly get my GPA is around a 3.15. This is mainly due to me getting 4 D's my freshman year in college. That is the main reason I was leaning towards only applying to schools that only factor in the last 60 credits.
That seems like a good reason to write a supplemental essay- if you can help them see that you've had good grades all but that year, a team that looks at your app more holistically may see it as a sign of growth? It's worth a shot, but it does seem like you have a good list of schools that just look at the last 60 credits.

I agree with what ForumGal said! Apply early! I got rejections and standby positions despite a high gpa partially to applying late. When we say apply early... we mean as soon as the application opens (september-november). I had a lot of deadlines for February so I thought I was ahead by applying right around Christmas, but most schools had already accepted a lot (if not most) of their students by then.

I've been accepted to three schools so far and my overall GPA is 3.14. To my knowledge, I did not apply to any schools that only looked at my last 60 credits.

I've been accepted to three schools so far and my overall GPA is 3.14. To my knowledge, I did not apply to any schools that only looked at my last 60 credits.

That is awesome, congrats! Do you mind me asking which schools and what your complete stats were?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what ForumGal said! Apply early! I got rejections and standby positions despite a high gpa partially to applying late. When we say apply early... we mean as soon as the application opens (september-november). I had a lot of deadlines for February so I thought I was ahead by applying right around Christmas, but most schools had already accepted a lot (if not most) of their students by then.

Thanks for the reply. Ya, I'm really trying to send out all of my apps in mid September . Hopefully that gets me in a good position

That seems like a good reason to write a supplemental essay- if you can help them see that you've had good grades all but that year, a team that looks at your app more holistically may see it as a sign of growth? It's worth a shot, but it does seem like you have a good list of schools that just look at the last 60 credits.

That's true. I will probably do that for the ones I'm applying to that do take cumulative . Thank you!

That is awesome, congrats! Do you mind me asking which schools and what your complete stats were?

Thanks!

Undergrad GPA: 3.01
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70
OTCAS GPA: 3.14
GRE: did not take (it would have been embarrassingly low)

Extra-Curric: Varsity athlete on college ice hockey team. Two-time All-American and national player of the year, stage technician at school's arts center, academic research field trips in Manitoba, Canada and Iowa.

OT Observation: 123 hours at special ed elementary school, 127 hours at VA hospital, 101 hours at skilled nursing facility, 10 hours at early intervention facility (ongoing.) I began this after I applied and asked the schools to append it to my application.

Applied: Sacred Heart, AIC, Bay Path, Springfield, Stony Brook, Kean, Seton Hall, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Columbia, NYIT, Sages (I applied to so many schools because I was rejected last year and felt a little heartbroken. However, when I applied last year I had not finished my prereqs, and only had observed at the elementary school.)

Acceptances: NYIT, AIC, Stony Brook

Waitlist: NYU

Rejections: Sacred Heart

Interviews: NYIT, Stony Brook, Kean (next week)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Extra-Curric: Varsity athlete on college ice hockey team. Two-time All-American and national player of the year, stage technician at school's arts center, academic research field trips in Manitoba, Canada and Iowa.

OT Observation: 123 hours at special ed elementary school, 127 hours at VA hospital, 101 hours at skilled nursing facility, 10 hours at early intervention facility (ongoing.) I began this after I applied and asked the schools to append it to my application.

Applied: Sacred Heart, AIC, Bay Path, Springfield, Stony Brook, Kean, Seton Hall, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Columbia, NYIT, Sages (I applied to so many schools because I was rejected last year and felt a little heartbroken. However, when I applied last year I had not finished my prereqs, and only had observed at the elementary school.)

Thank you. You have some great stats. I have also been seriously contemplating not taking the GRE. However, I know this will limit the amount of schools I can apply to. On the other hand it would save me the stress of having to study for 3 months and be able to focus my energy on strengthening the rest of my application. DK WHAT TO DO :(

Thank you. You have some great stats. I have also been seriously contemplating not taking the GRE. However, I know this will limit the amount of schools I can apply to. On the other hand it would save me the stress of having to study for 3 months and be able to focus my energy on strengthening the rest of my application. DK WHAT TO DO :(

Based on my pretty terrible SAT/ACT grades from high school, I knew I wouldn't be able to do well on the GRE's. Instead, I spent my time beefing up my app through varied observation experiences and getting great grades in my prereqs. I also live in the Northeast and, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like schools over here don't require the GRE's as much as schools out west.

Also...consider beginning your personal statement sooner rather than later so that you don't have to rush. I think you have strong stats but that essay needs to shine. I might also consider getting another observation experience. Maybe with kids? Just a thought. Good luck!

Also...consider beginning your personal statement sooner rather than later so that you don't have to rush. I think you have strong stats but that essay needs to shine. I might also consider getting another observation experience. Maybe with kids? Just a thought. Good luck!

Well it looks like your strategy worked out perfectly. I thing you're right, I made a list of schools that do not require the GRE a few months ago and many seemed to be in that area.

Thats a great suggestion, I have already begun to brainstorm my essay. I have also been looking to get some observation hours in pediatric OT. Its just a little harder to find I guess. Since I work as a Firefighter, my schedule is pretty amazing so it is allowing me to be quite flexible when it comes to observing.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!

I also forgot to ask you about the admission req. for AIC, for some reason I wasnt able to find them on the website.

Yeah, I think most schools looks at the 'whole' applicant, which is why some people with high GPA's sometimes don't get into some schools. A benefit for us!

Right now, I'm leaning towards Stony Brook. I really like their program plus I can get in-state tuition, which is fantastic. I'm not making any final decision until I hear from the other schools though. I already declined AIC because of the cost and location.

Hi! Just figured I would chime in. I am also not good at standardized tests. I studied for 3 months using Kaplan and still got a V-145, Q-147 and AW-4. Knowing early on that my GRE scores could bring me down, I made sure I had tons of observation hours throughout multiple settings. (200 hours- 8 different settings). I also made sure I was really involved in volunteer work and extra curriculars. I would say apply to at least 3 places that don't look at the GRE and like everyone said get good LORs, write a killer essay, and get as many hours as possible. Showing the programs that you really want to do OT is important! In regards to your GPA, I think I have seen many people with a lower GPA get into places! The schools I have noticed look more at Pre-requisites over cumulative. I agree with schools in the northeast do not always look at the GRES. Another option is taking the MAT, which some schools take instead of the GRE. Not all do but some in PA do. Not sure where you are leaning towards geographically.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi! Just figured I would chime in. I am also not good at standardized tests. I studied for 3 months using Kaplan and still got a V-145, Q-147 and AW-4. Knowing early on that my GRE scores could bring me down, I made sure I had tons of observation hours throughout multiple settings. (200 hours- 8 different settings). I also made sure I was really involved in volunteer work and extra curriculars. I would say apply to at least 3 places that don't look at the GRE and like everyone said get good LORs, write a killer essay, and get as many hours as possible. Showing the programs that you really want to do OT is important! In regards to your GPA, I think I have seen many people with a lower GPA get into places! The schools I have noticed look more at Pre-requisites over cumulative. I agree with schools in the northeast do not always look at the GRES. Another option is taking the MAT, which some schools take instead of the GRE. Not all do but some in PA do. Not sure where you are leaning towards geographically.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Those GRE scores are not bad at all. The test seems extremely difficult from what I have studied so far.

I am also planning on adding a few more observation locations to what I already have. I know this should help a lot. As far as the LOR go, I have one OT that i know is going to give me a great one and another from a supervisor at work. Im hoping to get my last one from another OT, hopefully one in a specialized field.

The good thing is I do not really have anywhere in mind as far as program location, Im willing to go anywhere. Of course I would prefer some locations, but its not a big deal either way.

What schools did you apply to if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for the reply. Those GRE scores are not bad at all. The test seems extremely difficult from what I have studied so far.

I am also planning on adding a few more observation locations to what I already have. I know this should help a lot. As far as the LOR go, I have one OT that i know is going to give me a great one and another from a supervisor at work. Im hoping to get my last one from another OT, hopefully one in a specialized field.

The good thing is I do not really have anywhere in mind as far as program location, Im willing to go anywhere. Of course I would prefer some locations, but its not a big deal either way.

What schools did you apply to if you dont mind me asking?

If possible, I would ask a professor as well! I had 4 LOR and I think some schools may have appreciated that. It is good that you aren't set on a location. If you want schools that do not look at GRE, I would look at the 3 schools in NJ, Shendandoah, (VA), Jefferson College of Health Sciences (VA), and I believe there are some in NY that don't look at it as well.

I applied to University of North Carolina, East Carolina University, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Winston Salem State University, Medical University of South Carolina, Salus University, Adventist, and St. Augustine

Most likely attending WSSU! If you would like more of my stats, you can message me!

Hi! I was accepted into USciences, which is a great program, with a 3.1 cumulative GPA and my pre-req is about what you have. After speaking with my now advisor at the school as well as the dean, they have said multiple times they look at the student as a whole and don't just play a numbers game--LOVE that! Be sure to highlight ANY and EVERY experience you've had, whether it be relevant to OT or not. They like to see any leadership experience and things that make you stand out next to other applicants. The cost of this program is a deterrent for many applicants (and is definitely scary to think about) but it will be worth it when you're finally doing what you love! I submitted my application at the end of August, so definitely the sooner the better. I've found that even if the school doesn't highlight that they operate on a rolling admission basis, the majority do to some extent. Hope this helps and good luck!

If possible, I would ask a professor as well! I had 4 LOR and I think some schools may have appreciated that. It is good that you aren't set on a location. If you want schools that do not look at GRE, I would look at the 3 schools in NJ, Shendandoah, (VA), Jefferson College of Health Sciences (VA), and I believe there are some in NY that don't look at it as well.

I applied to University of North Carolina, East Carolina University, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Winston Salem State University, Medical University of South Carolina, Salus University, Adventist, and St. Augustine

Most likely attending WSSU! If you would like more of my stats, you can message me!

Great! message sent.

Hi! I was accepted into USciences, which is a great program, with a 3.1 cumulative GPA and my pre-req is about what you have. After speaking with my now advisor at the school as well as the dean, they have said multiple times they look at the student as a whole and don't just play a numbers game--LOVE that! Be sure to highlight ANY and EVERY experience you've had, whether it be relevant to OT or not. They like to see any leadership experience and things that make you stand out next to other applicants. The cost of this program is a deterrent for many applicants (and is definitely scary to think about) but it will be worth it when you're finally doing what you love! I submitted my application at the end of August, so definitely the sooner the better. I've found that even if the school doesn't highlight that they operate on a rolling admission basis, the majority do to some extent. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you for the reply and advice. Those are some great points. Im really hoping that my experience as a FF/paramedic helps me out a little but im not sure because its not really related to OT.

I have actually considered applying to Usciences. Can you apply with a course in progress?
Also, you mentioned applying early helped you out, how long was the entire processes with them?

Thank you for the reply and advice. Those are some great points. Im really hoping that my experience as a FF/paramedic helps me out a little but im not sure because its not really related to OT.

I have actually considered applying to Usciences. Can you apply with a course in progress?
Also, you mentioned applying early helped you out, how long was the entire processes with them?
I didn't find out I was accepted until February 8th--long waiting process, but I do think it helped that I applied early. I graduated from Delaware last May so I had all of my courses completed before I applied. From what I understand, as long as you can get your courses completed by the time classes begin (for us it is May 30th this year) you'll be fine!

I didn't find out I was accepted until February 8th--long waiting process, but I do think it helped that I applied early. I graduated from Delaware last May so I had all of my courses completed before I applied. From what I understand, as long as you can get your courses completed by the time classes begin (for us it is May 30th this year) you'll be fine!

Wow. That's probably the thing I am dreading the most, waiting :/

The only other thing that scared me a little about them is that they don't do interviews, is that correct?

Wow. That's probably the thing I am dreading the most, waiting :/

The only other thing that scared me a little about them is that they don't do interviews, is that correct?
That's correct, they don't do interviews for the OT program. They do for the PT program.

Hello everyone,

Definitely apply to AT Still and any other program that's on a rolling basis. AKA send in your app the first day they begin accepting apps. I had similar stats to you and was rejected from the majority of programs I applied to (applied to 6, rejected from 4, waitlisted for 2) but I got removed from the waitlist at ATSU 5 months after being waitlisted with 1.5 months before the program start date. Good luck :)

Hello everyone,

Also AT Still doesn't require the GRE if your GPA is a 3.0 or better :) but I would definitely try to strengthen your app in other areas (more observation hours, personal statement, and letters of Rec)

Also AT Still doesn't require the GRE if your GPA is a 3.0 or better :) but I would definitely try to strengthen your app in other areas (more observation hours, personal statement, and letters of Rec)

Thank you for the info and congrats:)

Hi!! Do not stress if you do not have an extremely high GPA! I graduated with a 3.35 from Baylor and was accepted to UTMB. My prerequisite GPA was only about 3.4 I believe. I do however have KILLER extracurricular activities and 310 OT shadowing hours. If your GPA is not super high don't fret, just make sure you are involved in a bunch of things!! Hope this helped!!

Hi!! Do not stress if you do not have an extremely high GPA! I graduated with a 3.35 from Baylor and was accepted to UTMB. My prerequisite GPA was only about 3.4 I believe. I do however have KILLER extracurricular activities and 310 OT shadowing hours. If your GPA is not super high don't fret, just make sure you are involved in a bunch of things!! Hope this helped!!

yes , I'm also hoping for my extracurriculars to lift my application a bit. Thank you and congrats :)

Dominican University of California might be another school you could apply to. From my experience, San Jose State and Samuel Merritt are much more competitive, so you might have a better chance there. Good luck!

Hi! Im new in this forum and im trying to apply to TWU houston. I still dont have volunteering hours. And i only applied to one hospital for volunteering. and after reading many threads, i kind of feel anxious and scared of not getting into an MOT progran (there goes my future of being a licensed OT)