Need advice/opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big_Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At a bit of a cross roads here. I'm not sure if I should

1) take biochemistry this semester and then start studying for the MCAT with a goal of taking it in June and applying to medical school for that cycle

or

2) Start studying for the MCAT now with the goal of taking it January/February and then taking biochem so I can apply to schools that have the biochem requirement.

Option 1 helps with the MCAT score but I might be too late in the cycle? Would hate to have to sit around waiting for a new cycle. While option 2 gives me optimal time for the cycle but misses out on any knowledge from the class for the MCAT. The 6 month study period is because I will have to work 40 hours a week.

So can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would recommend taking biochem first which will allow you to create a starting foundation therefore making your content review slightly easier when preparing for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took Biochem first, and it provided a fantastic foundation for the real thing. Most of it was simple review of things already learned. Much better option to take the course first, that way when you study for the MCAT it's a simple refresher so you can focus on other things for the exam

Reactions: 1 users
Biochem 1 at a minimum before the MCAT. Biochem 1 and 2 would be even better if you could make that happen.

Being earlier in cycle <<< Getting higher score on MCAT

Simple as that.