Need Advice Pertaining to Student Host

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svenson

LV. 23
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be interviewing at a school in three days. When they sent me the interview invite four weeks ago I requested a student host, to which the administrator said they would attempt to find one, but also stated there is no guarantee. So three weeks went by and I heard nothing more, figuring they were busy and hadn't been successful in matching me with someone - as such, I made accommodations. (Every other school has gotten back to me almost immediately, so I incorrectly assumed I would not be given a host.) However, I got an email this morning saying they had a host for me for two days from now. Being so close to the interview, I have already made arrangements, and although canceling them is a possibility, it would throw several wrenches into the works. Is it rude or inappropriate for me to reach out to my host and explain the scenario, stating I would no longer require assistance? I don't want to come of as flaky or rude to the school, and am also hesitant to lose out on possible insight I'd be able to gain from my host. I would like to see what you think the best route to take would be.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would encourage staying with a host because it is a nice experience, but if it would be a burden for you to reshuffle your plans, the student would almost certainly understand if you explained the situation to them. You certainly wouldn't seem flaky and it wouldn't impact your chances of admission.

I have the opposite problem. I requested a host, and they said they would get me in contact with one this last Sunday, but turns out they couldn't find me one. I have 48 hours to make other arrangements so I think I'll just sleep in my car haha.

Reactions: 1 user
My experience with a student host at my most recent interview was incredibly valuable. My best advice is to take advantage of the opportunity if it doesn't inconvenience you too greatly.

You can only ask so many questions during the interview, but spending an entire day with a student (and their other M1/M2 friends) can show you a lot more about a school than you'd learn just going through the interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your input guys, I've opted to change my plans and stay with the host; I would be too concerned about missing out on a beneficial experience otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user