Need Advice: Pharmacy International Rotation and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochemi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to do Residency after I graduate. Although I know that there isn't a formula to get into a Residency program, I am wondering, will taking an International Rotation during my P4 year, make my application "look better" in terms of getting into a Pharmacy Residency Program?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to do Residency after I graduate. Although I know that there isn't a formula to get into a Residency program, I am wondering, will taking an International Rotation during my P4 year, make my application "look better" in terms of getting into a Pharmacy Residency Program?

Possibly, but that is a miniscule application improvement over other things you could do (pharmacy work during school, research, professional organizations, etc...)

It won't hurt but it may not help.

But if you have the chance to do an awesome international rotation do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it would be an excellent experience and something to share during the interviews, but I've heard from classmates that went overseas and from other students that pharmacy is very different overseas, and they don't do as much clinically and hands on that we do here in the US, so I don't think it'll give you bonus points on your application. If so, maybe a very teeny bit.

Hello!

I'm originally from California but I'm doing PharmD in India. I am a 5th year PharmD student in Madras, India. Next year is our internship year and I would really love to come home for my rotations. Does anyone know of any pharmacy schools, hospitals, pharmacies, or teaching institutions that accept international pharmacy students for clinical rotations?

The total duration of the internship year is 12 months:
- 6 months in General Medicine
- 2 months in Pediatrics
- 2 months in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 2 months in Surgery, Orthopedics, Psychiatry, or Dermatology

I really want to transfer back because the board exams (FPGEE and NAPLEX) are clinical based, I would really to love to have some clinical experience under my belt.

Thanks!