Need Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway1114

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically my story is I am a 4th year DO student who did not have my OB rotation until late in my 4th year. My problem is I fell in love with the specialty but was way too late in the interview cycle to even have a chance. I was originally going ortho and did not match and felt rushed and chose an IM residency in the scramble. My stats are comlex 660s/630s and USMLE high 240s for both. What should I do? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you say that? I thoroughly enjoyed my OB rotation and I wish I had done it earlier so I could have pursued it. Please I would like some real advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're probably best off completing the first year of your IM residency, and in the meantime applying to OB/GYN the next cycle. Of course you'll have to apply to PGY-1 positions since a year of IM residency won't count towards OB/GYN.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do I have the stats to match obgyn after my pgy1 year? I don't mind repeating my pgy1 year.

Do I have the stats to match obgyn after my pgy1 year? I don't mind repeating my pgy1 year.
Having gone through interviews with similar stats, although I am US MD, you definitely got the stats to match. Not sure what reapplying will mean for your chances. Best of luck to you, obgyn is an awesome specialty, glad I chose it over medicine which is where I was heading before I discovered obgyn

Your scores are stellar. I am a DO, got interviews at many DO & MD programs, and matched with much lower scores than you. You'll be fine.
With those scores, I'm honestly surprised you didn't match first round. Maybe consider the reasons why you didn't (interview, application strategy, etc..)?