Need Advice - Possible Major Switch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thestrugglingpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a dilemma and I'd like to get anyone's sincere advice.

I'm currently a senior at my four-year university, with my major being Biomedical Sciences and a 3.28 GPA. I'm currently 73% done with the degree or have approximately credits 107 credits out of 120 credit requirement for the degree.

Last semester, I took Physics 2 and got a - C. I need to retake this course. I was planning on doing that this summer but that can wait. The issue lies in my Organic Chemistry I course. This semester I had to withdraw from it to avoid failing. I can take it this summer if I choose but another plan available for me is a major change.

I could potentially become a Biology major and be 87% done with the major and I wouldn't have to worry about retaking Physics 2 or Orgo I. I've read the stats and done a bit of reading and I know that Biology majors tend to do a lot worse on MCAT than other majors. What should I do?

Question 1: Would anyone recommend taking just the lecture of the summer for Orgo I?
Question 2: Should I give up on Orgo and Physics (which are not necessary for my major) and switch to Biology?

Members don't see this ad.

To apply to med school you have to take the core sciences regardless of your major. I suggest doing whatever major allows you to perform the best.

Reactions: 1 user
To apply to med school you have to take the core sciences regardless of your major. I suggest doing whatever major allows you to perform the best.
Is there any outright advantage to a given major, admission wise? Do schools prefer the life sciences majors as opposed to non-trads like English or communications, which are my majors?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trying for medical school? You need those courses for med school and the MCAT. Personally, I would not retake physics, I would cover my weaknesses with my own study methods. You do not really have enough information for people to give you good suggestions. You struggled with O Chem but you want to squeeze it all into 1 month? (Not a wise decision) I personally love biomedical and what the heck are you going to do with just a biology degree, it's the first hurdle to higher education.

Is there any outright advantage to a given major, admission wise? Do schools prefer the life sciences majors as opposed to non-trads like English or communications, which are my majors?

Unlikely to make a significant difference but admissions aren't stupid. Obviously someone with a bchem major with a 3.5 GPA is probably going to be better off than a kid with a 3.5 GPA with basket weaving courses given the same grades in those core sciences.

Take your time and boost that GPA.

I feel like I need to squelch this misconception about non-trad (and the purpose of this subforum). Non-traditional students are those that meet one or more of the following criteria:
  • Delays enrollment (does not enter postsecondary education in the same calendar year that he or she finished high school)
  • Attends part-time for at least part of the academic year
  • Works full-time (35 hours or more per week) while enrolled
  • Is considered financially independent for purposes of determining eligibility for financial aid
  • Has dependents other than a spouse (usually children, but may also be caregivers of sick or elderly family members)
  • Is a single parent (either not married or married but separated and has dependents)
  • Does not have a high school diploma (completed high school with a GED or other high school completion certificate or did not finish high school)
Non-trads are not people who are majoring in something other than sciences.

Status
Not open for further replies.