need advice....ridiculously (almost embarrassing) low undergrad gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rudolph Mitchell

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so I'm extremely nervous about my chances of getting in to PT school at all. my undergrad gpa was a 2.08. looking back there was no doubt that i was beyond immature and was caught up in the college partying lifestyle. back then i never thought id be even trying to get into grad school of any sort so i wasn't thinking about my future. I already know because of my low gpa that id be disqualified from getting accepted into 90% of PT schools, but i know of some PT schools that only look at the last 60 semester hours as overall gpa, so i decided to give it a shot. I've never taken the required science classes in my undergrad so I'm taking them now as well as other prereqs. So far I have :
Bio 1: A
Bio 2: B+
Chem 1: A
Gen Psych: A
Dev./Lifespan Psych: A
Eng: A-

I am taking the rest of the prereqs as i go along while working full time. I was just wondering if these schools that look as the last 60 semester hours count these prereqs that I'm taking now and will be taking toward that last 60 semester hours gpa?..or is it the last 60 semester hours that you completed in your undergrad baccalaureate degree PERIOD(because even that gpa is low [2.3]). I just want to to make sure. I know that PT is something that I will enjoy, just based off of the experiences from the little shadowing hours that I have already completed. But i just want to make sure that I have a shot even with this "last 60 semester hours" gpa...or should i just start looking into another career altogether...
 
They count the last 60 hours you've taken. That works in your advantage, but as long as your overall GPA is 2.08, then you simply have no chance at any school. I'm not trying to discourage you, and I know you are not the same person you were a few years ago, but there's not a PT program that would consider an applicant w/ a 2.08 overall GPA. You have two choices: go back to undergraduate school and earn another bachelor's degree, or go to PTA school. Unless your pre-requisites bring your overall GPA to 2.8, then those are your only two options.
 
Hey newtestament...Thanks for answering my post. I'm just a little bit confused from your response though. My overall 4 year gpa is a 2.08, but the last 60 are at a 2.3. You're saying these aforementioned prerequisites are a part of my "new" last 60 credits taken (aside from the permanent last 60 credits of my bachelors degree)?Because if that's the case, then these prerequisites (as well as the ones that I have not taken yet) will definitely raise my gpa from a 2.3. They already have. With the aforementioned classes taken into account, I'm at a 2.6 right now, and I'm planning on getting A's in the rest of my prereqs, and if that happens I will be at a 3.0. Even though it's not competitive, it's still the minimum for the schools that look at the last 60 credits...sorry if I'm being repetitive, I'm just digging for some type of hope I guess
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Call some schools and discuss with the director of admissions to see if you may have a chance. Let them know your passion for physical therapy and that you would like to know what you can do to improve your application. I know someone who did this and she was ready to apply a year later, the director remembered her name. She was given an interview and got accepted to a school. This is by no means a guarantee, but it can't hurt to call them! Good luck!
 
Of the top of my head, I know schools like University of Saint Augustine, University of Missouri, and Texas Woman's University will look at your last 60 units in chronological order, so you should look into those schools.
 
University of St. Augustine claims to look at your overall GPA but more specifically your last 45 hours. Grade trend is a big factor for them, in your case to see if you matured throughout your college career. As another person mentioned, get in contact with potential schools, and do great on your remaining pre-reqs. Don't give up.

I wish you the best of luck!
 
Hey guys....didn't want anyone to think that I've been ignoring your responses..but I've decided to take @newtestaments advice get a second bachelors. I was taking the aforementioned prerequisites at a community college blindly until in realized how bad my GPA situation was. I also realized that I'm pretty close to getting an A.S. In Science. So my plan is to get that and transfer to a 4-year. Have been looking at a few B.S. Programs in Exercise Science around me, so that seems like my plan for now. I know that schools look at the overall picture with GRE, Obs hours, LOR's etc...but the reality is without the GPA, there is no shot in hell.
 
Schools that look at the last 60 (or something) units do NOT look at your undergrad GPA, they just want to make sure you have your BA/BS. They look at the last 60 units you took whatever whose last units are.
 
That's not what I was told. They told me that the prerequisites that I'm taking now (which in my situation would be counted in my last 60 units taken) are not counted toward the last 60 units, and that in fact it is the last 60 credits taken TOWARD your undergraduate degree that you received that they look at (which cannot be changed once you receive the degree) Texas State, Mizzou, and U of Florida all told me this.
 
What's your overall average now factoring both your undergrad and pre reqs? Depending on what that is you could possibly save yourself more than a year by just taking as many classes as possible to improve gpa. I personally also would not go after a second degree. I don't think it makes any difference. It's just about the total numbers. (I had a 2.3 in undergrad and understand!!)
 
(Possibly they just mean masters courses don't count? I had a masters degree and those did not count for me but I don't know your schools specifically).
 
@starrsgirl factoring my undergrad gpa and the prereqs I've taken so far., I'm at a 2.33 right now. Taking the rest of the prereqs that most schools require and (hopefully) getting all A's in them, I'd still only be at a 2.58 After that, to get to a 3.0 exactly, I'd have to take 2 Full years of classes (that's if I take 4, 3-credit classes each for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters). That's one half of a bachelors right there, so I figured I might as well take classes and get a B.S. that is relevant to PT instead do just picking easy bs classes to fulfill that gap
 
Hmmm....I contacted Teresa of Mizzou admissions and she told me that they will look at any of the most recent coursework and move backwards. This was my email and her response:

Me: "When you look at the last 60 hours, do they include post-bacc coursework or only coursework complete before a degree is rewarded?"

Teresa: "We look at any coursework completed. We start with most recent and move backward."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I def understand your situation! But still....why not save those 2 years and not get a degree? It doesn't help in application IMO and that could put you 2 years closer to school. Quicker the better in my book.
 
@Rudolph Mitchell I just spoke with admissions just to clarify again, and they did say that post-bacc class will count in the last 60 units.

So far, I've gotten confirmation, from University of Saint Augustin, Mizzou, and Texas Woman's University. I'm also pretty sure that Boston University and MGH don't have a required 3.0 overall gpa needed. If you're comfortable applying to only a few school, then it might not be worth spending more money on a second degree. If it were me, I would just finish the rest of your prereqs and additional classes at a community college until you reach a competitive GPA of your last 60 units. PT school ain't cheap and this would probably be a cheaper route. Good luck!
 
Loma Linda University, CA, calculates something around 120 units. They choose the best grades first and go down from there. For example, you have A for 50 units, B for 50 units, and C for 50 units, they will calculate your GPA as 50 units of A+ 50 units of B+ 20 units of C.