Need Advice: Should I leave my job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaykay

Rookie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm currently an intern at a job I've been working at for a long time now...hoping to get licensure soon. As an intern, I do the general stuff like counsel, answer phones, receive orders, etc and any other tech duties. I feel like all the pharmacists there throw off the work to me (which is fine) but they do this too even when they're not busy. When I'm in the middle of something, they expect me to answer the phone or they wait until I'm done talking on the phone to go counsel a patient (they make the patient wait instead of taking 1 minute out of their time to counsel them). They also refuse to give me some time off before I get licensed because they say they don't have anyone to cover me. I'm worried that they will continue to treat me like this when I get licensed, instead of treating me like a peer pharmacist.
I know the market is tight right now and I should be lucky I even have a job. I don't care how the patients treat me, but I would like a little bit of respect from my peers.

What would you do? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

So I'm currently an intern at a job I've been working at for a long time now...hoping to get licensure soon. As an intern, I do the general stuff like counsel, answer phones, receive orders, etc and any other tech duties. I feel like all the pharmacists there throw off the work to me (which is fine) but they do this too even when they're not busy. When I'm in the middle of something, they expect me to answer the phone or they wait until I'm done talking on the phone to go counsel a patient (they make the patient wait instead of taking 1 minute out of their time to counsel them). They also refuse to give me some time off before I get licensed because they say they don't have anyone to cover me. I'm worried that they will continue to treat me like this when I get licensed, instead of treating me like a peer pharmacist.
I know the market is tight right now and I should be lucky I even have a job. I don't care how the patients treat me, but I would like a little bit of respect from my peers.

Roll with it... take this as career experience and learning how to multitask. Picture it as if it was just you the pharmacist, how would you be handling everything being thrown at you at one time. You never know, maybe that's what they are trying to mentor to you. You'll soon realize that when you start working, you'll have more control on how you want things done and it's not gonna feel so bad. Plus, you will be looked upon as a colleague, no longer and intern. And learn to develop a stern personality if something is not fair to you and you can justify why.

PS: I am a new grad, I felt exactly the same way, but now that I work, it feels different. Good luck!

Hey Guys,

Tuan, I know it's you! Why didn't you take out the trash and wipe clean the toilet last night like I told you to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

they sound like douche bags BUT this is how it goes a lot of times. just hang in there, take the money get your license, stick it to them when a job opens up

Roll with it... take this as career experience and learning how to multitask. Picture it as if it was just you the pharmacist, how would you be handling everything being thrown at you at one time. You never know, maybe that's what they are trying to mentor to you. You'll soon realize that when you start working, you'll have more control on how you want things done and it's not gonna feel so bad. Plus, you will be looked upon as a colleague, no longer and intern. And learn to develop a stern personality if something is not fair to you and you can justify why.

PS: I am a new grad, I felt exactly the same way, but now that I work, it feels different. Good luck!

My advice is similar. I feel like this some days as well (particularly when I am balancing tech duties with pharmacist-like responsibilities) but just take it as a learning experience. Be thankful they let you do all that stuff.

No one on (that is so close to being a palindrome) here can know for sure, but I bet you will be treated as a peer once you are one. :thumbup:

I know how you feel. I work for a major chain. And the store that I interned at, there is one pharmacist in particular, that will make you do EVERYTHING. Which is fine, I love to learn and gain the experience of multitasking. However, I will be cashing out customers, getting the drive thru and handling the counseling window (at a busy store : avg ~600/day) and that pharmacist will say "can u get voicemail". In my my head I am like are you kidding me:mad: The other pharmacists there also have me do a lot, but at least they will do their job, if I am busy helping other customers.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, back to your question. Is this a chain or an independent that you work for? If it's a chain, maybe you could ask your DM for another store? Thats what I did, I wanted a fresh start. If its an independent, do they have another location you could work at? I did not want to be a pharmacist at the specific store I was an intern, b/c after working under the rph's there for so long, I felt they would still act like my superior when I became a pharmacist. Plus, I am friends with all of the techs and hang out with some of them outside of work and that might be akward for me after becoming a pharmacist.

No one on (that is so close to being a palindrome) here can know for sure, but I bet you will be treated as a peer once you are one. :thumbup:

That had occurred to me too. Maybe they're just hazing you now, and once you pass your boards they'll show some respect.