Need Advice: Sophomore Year Course Load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drawingdentist

Dental Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some advice about my college course load. I am a biology major pursuing a minor in studio art.

I am a sophomore in college and I will be graduating a year early. This means I need to take my DAT this summer since I will be applying this upcoming cycle.

This fall I am enrolled in the following classes:
Genetics with lab
Organic Chemistry with lab
Microbiology with lab
Cellular and Molecular Biology

I am also involved at my church and I work around 20 hours a week. I am trying to get as many science courses out of the way this semester so I can go easy next semester and have time to prep for the DAT. Next semester I would be taking organic chemistry II with lab, two art classes and Immunology.

My question is, for those of you who have taken these classes, is this a heavy course load? Should I drop some classes? I am worried about dropping classes and looking like I didn't take challenging courses. But I am also worried that I won't do as well and that I wont have enough time to study.
Do you think this is a doable course load? If I should drop a class, which class do you think I can take next semester with organic chemistry and two art classes?

Thank you so much for your time and advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have too much on your plate. 3 labs is going to be very rough. Is there a reasons why you're graduating early/want to graduate early?

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have too much on your plate. 3 labs is going to be very rough. Is there a reasons why you're graduating early/want to graduate early?

I came in with a year worth of college credit (Dual Enrollment) so I finished my freshman year of college with 79 credits. I think you are right, 3 labs might be tough but I am not sure if I should drop one of them and take it next semester since next semester I will be studying for the DAT exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a very difficult semester. Don't rush take your time. Its better to spread the courses out and get A's than to get B's. Trust me I made that mistake when I entered college ( I graduated High school with over 90 college credits and rushed into very difficult upper levels and it is the thing in my life I regret the most).

Hey everyone, I need some advice about my college course load. I am a biology major pursuing a minor in studio art.

I am a sophomore in college and I will be graduating a year early. This means I need to take my DAT this summer since I will be applying this upcoming cycle.

Genetics with lab
Microbiology with lab

I am also involved at my church and I work around 20 hours a week. I am trying to get as many science courses out of the way this semester so I can go easy next semester and have time to prep for the DAT. Next semester I would be taking organic chemistry II with lab, two art classes and Immunology.

My question is, for those of you who have taken these classes, is this a heavy course load? Should I drop some classes? I am worried about dropping classes and looking like I didn't take challenging courses. But I am also worried that I won't do as well and that I wont have enough time to study.
Do you think this is a doable course load? If I should drop a class, which class do you think I can take next semester with organic chemistry and two art classes?

This will be a hell of a semester. You will not be able to work 20 hours a week imo and get an A in all your classes. It is doable, but will be very very tough. I have taken three labs in the past but I wasn't working so hard to give an exact answer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took orgo and molec cell with 2 electives and I was ****ting bricks during midterms and finals. Add microbio and genetics on top of that, I dunno maybe others can pull it off but I couldnt haha

I think the semester is more than doable, but I would be concerned about the stress when you add the work hours on top of it.

Also, I would try to keep your spring semester comparatively lighter (or cut back on the work hours, or both) to begin preparing for the DAT if you plan on taking it in the early summer.

Reactions: 2 users

Genetics with lab
Microbiology with lab

Why would you do this to yourself?

Thank you to everyone who responded, I really needed to hear your advice. I ended up dropping Microbiology with lab and replacing it with a digital photography course for my art minor. I feel a lot more comfortable with my decision and a lot less stressed. I feel like 3 science classes and 2 labs will be a lot more doable than 4 science classes and 3 labs. I would rather excel in fewer classes than do poorly on all. Thank you to everyone who responded and left advice :)