Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ritudoc04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiii everyone,

Well, I am not sure if this has been discussed earlier.....But I would really appreciate your advice to help me decide....

I got married and moved to US sometime back.....

My husband wants to move back to India within 6-8years.....

I am confused if I should be thinking of doing DDS again...probably 2-3 years....which is emotionally and mentally draining....as most of us have experienced in our 5 years of dental school previously....

6-8 years would mean finishing with school and practicing just enough to repay loans....And then moving back to India....

I would like to get your opinions on what u think is right...and any other options for a foreign-trained dentist....

Getting into an MS or AEGD Program right away is very difficult...as already tried and discussed by so many people.....Anything apart from this....which is feasible to do...

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

i would suggest you take your GRE and get into a Public Health program and then do the 1 year residency in Dental Public Health (which you will definitely get after your MPH program)....
but the question i cant answer is, how lucrative is the Dental Public Health program in your country?
also to stay in touch with yur clinicals, you can take up some hands on courses or CDE courses...
good luck!

ritudoc04 :

First :Congratulations on your marrage

:clap: :D .........................Why didn;t you invite me .:p....just kidding:laugh: .

Second :

This is my opinion & the decision is yours at the end .If you & your husband are 100% sure that you will go back to India ,there will be no point in doing an AS program .............not due the time and huge money spending only ,but also because that the AS degree that you will get here is the same as your DDS or DMD degree from India .You are already licenced to practice there ,so why loosing your time,effort, and have a huge loans on your back ....???? .

Your alternative is to find any program that is accepted or regarded as an MS, spicialty..........or as any kind of a post graduate study in dentistry that is highly demanded in India.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi ritu,
6-8 yrs is a long time. u can get into some speciality of ur interest and do ur masters in tht. getting into ms for international dentists who r going back to their country is easier. if u r in illinois or some other state which gives license to people with masters,thn u can practice,else u can join some university and get into teaching for a few yrs. u will have a mds equivalent in hand whn u go back.
public health is also good, but limited scope in india. and also depends on whether u want to practice dentistry whn u go back .if u do thn MPH wont be as useful as ur masters.
thn in case u want to stay back in the US , u can always do ur advanced standing here get ur dds and practice.
ultimately its ur decision. choose well.

Originally posted by Ann 03
hi ritu,
6-8 yrs is a long time. u can get into some speciality of ur interest and do ur masters in tht. getting into ms for international dentists who r going back to their country is easier. if u r in illinois or some other state which gives license to people with masters,thn u can practice,else u can join some university and get into teaching for a few yrs. u will have a mds equivalent in hand whn u go back.
public health is also good, but limited scope in india. and also depends on whether u want to practice dentistry whn u go back .if u do thn MPH wont be as useful as ur masters.
thn in case u want to stay back in the US , u can always do ur advanced standing here get ur dds and practice.
ultimately its ur decision. choose well.
---------------------

I agree very well with Ann. Good suggestion :)

Do an GPR or AEGD program if you are interested, then apply for an post grad program.

i have had this doubt for a long time, can u do ur gpr or AEGD without DDS?

It is possible to do the AEGD program at some universities without doing the DDS from USA. Boston University has an AEGD program for which international dentists are eligible. But again I am not too sure how difficult it is to get into the program.

I would like to thank each and everyone for their replies.....

And welcome further input from people.....

As for GPR and AEGD...most of the universities are either scraping the program or making it paid.....so u still would be taking a loan for that amount too...also after which u don't get a job to repay the money!!

Apart from the fact that they want u to be a graduate from a North American Accredited school.....

Hi, Ritu doc
Here is my two cents..if you are planning to "stay here" in US ..that is you get your green card and all that ..(Im assuming that you don't have one yet) then and only then go for an advanced standing program......................Im sure you know and would have found out that these programs are "very expensive" and school would require a commitment for 2-3 years depending on the length of the program...and plus the additional time spent on taking your NDB part1 ad part2................as from your previous posts ..that I have read ..you seem to have already taken your part1 boards...what have you scored in that????.................................If you have not scored the required marks ..then additional time is required to prepare for that exam again..

What is the point in taking such a big loan and going to school for 3 years and not practicing in US??
It does not make sense at all!!!!!!
Plus your husbands decision and his career is also important in your life...if you guys are planning on going and settling in India..then you might as well do a masters program , take your GRE and apply soon...to schools for MS program..like Public health....There are so many options open to you ..once you think about doing something other than DDS.
Make wise decisions and consult your family..Im sure you are already licenced in India....so you can very well go and practice there..
"THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX"
Thanks
Toothzone

hi ritu

i guess first of all the question is does ur husband really want to return in 6-8yrs to india? at the end of it, if he finally changes his mind, u dont want to have shortchanged urself and done something u are not really interested in right? think about what u really want to do. with an MS in a specialty u can work in i think only about 18states and only in that specialty and nothing else (meaning u cant venture into general dentistry even if u want to). there are AEGD programs which do take intl students but they are extremely tough to get into and space based usually which means if an american with a similar score comes along, he gets in! MPH is a good choice if u are thinking short term. but the pay scales are much lower (about 1/2 to 2/3 of what u would earn as a dentist to start off with). i know a person who has done an MS in a speciality whos now thinking of doing a dds! also i know that most people who do mph do it for the interim. but u can get good jobs with MPH like at CDC etc. if u know people. i also have heard of only one person whos got into an AEGD program and shes an american born indian. so finally its a tough choice, but one that only u can make!! have i confused u enough??? :D

hi ann,
i have completed my masters in india & am on an f-1 here in U.S.Is it possible for me to get my licensure in Illinois after a masters here.Kindly enlighten.

hey ritu,this is really a tough situation for u.....coz even if u have to opt for an MS u will have to take loans(i dont know how expensive MS is but sure its not very cheap....) and stuff so the burden of repaying anyways comes in......u'd be better off repaying the loans after ur DDS rather as its much easier to practice and earn after DDS....
worse come to worse even if u go back to india.....i guess u can repay ur loans be at no profit no loss monetarily.....earn all the experience here and sure makes it easier for u to start ur own private practice inur home country .....(coz after practicing in US for 6 yrs makes u gain enough confidence to do that......
:D ...dont want to confuse u more......
i just wanted to suggest here that both MS and DDS r going to make u take loans AND PLUS INVEST 2 YRS OF UR LIFE)....so rather opt DDS which would get u more flexibility....unless u r keen on doing MS....
ALL THE BEST...:)