1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

need advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by QuietStorm, Aug 7, 2000.

1. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I will be a college junior this fall and I'm planning to take both Physics and Organic Chem this coming school year so I could take the MCAT next April. I'm taking Biology this summer and I took Inorganic Chem and Calc I during my freshman year. I wasn't sure about going to med school and that's why I didn't take science classes during my sophomore year. Anyway, I'm about to start volunteering at a local hospital and I've also recently gotten involved with New York Cares. I don't have a long list of extra-curricular activities since I concentrated on working part-time under the Federal Work Study program for financial reasons. The jobs that I've had are mostly office-oriented, nothing that I could really write on applications. Also, I'm a Sociology major w/ a minor in Biology. My GPA is currently 3.553 although I'm positive that I'll be able to raise it up to a 3.6 and up.

Okay, now that I've mentioned all those things, here's the question: do you think that it's better if I apply at the end of my senior year (thus, being forced to take a year off) just to improve my credentials? I really prefer going to med school right away but if a series of rejections is what I have to look forward to, then I guess I have to take the other route.

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have met all the criteria, have a solid GPA (which you do), and have a competitive MCAT score, then there is no reason you should wait to apply.
    Your pre-med counselor can give you more info on this, but if all the guests have arrived, start the party!

Good luck.

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"