need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuietStorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I will be a college junior this fall and I'm planning to take both Physics and Organic Chem this coming school year so I could take the MCAT next April. I'm taking Biology this summer and I took Inorganic Chem and Calc I during my freshman year. I wasn't sure about going to med school and that's why I didn't take science classes during my sophomore year. Anyway, I'm about to start volunteering at a local hospital and I've also recently gotten involved with New York Cares. I don't have a long list of extra-curricular activities since I concentrated on working part-time under the Federal Work Study program for financial reasons. The jobs that I've had are mostly office-oriented, nothing that I could really write on applications. Also, I'm a Sociology major w/ a minor in Biology. My GPA is currently 3.553 although I'm positive that I'll be able to raise it up to a 3.6 and up.

Okay, now that I've mentioned all those things, here's the question: do you think that it's better if I apply at the end of my senior year (thus, being forced to take a year off) just to improve my credentials? I really prefer going to med school right away but if a series of rejections is what I have to look forward to, then I guess I have to take the other route.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have met all the criteria, have a solid GPA (which you do), and have a competitive MCAT score, then there is no reason you should wait to apply.
Your pre-med counselor can give you more info on this, but if all the guests have arrived, start the party!

Good luck.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"