need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conquistador

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Conquistador said:
hey, Ill be applying at the end of this summer. I took the mcat already (32P) but my gpa is around a 3.2 right now. I don't know how adcoms will look at my gpa though because of my academic record. My first year in college i failed 6 classes, the spring semester of that year i decided school wasnt for me and left, without bothering to withdraw (hence the F's). I thought i would never go back to school. I did go back however the next fall under pressure from my parents and had to pull a 3.95 to lift my academic probation. I did that and decided to do the same for the rest of my semesters. The F's that year were in general freshman courses like english, history, theatre, etc. Because of this my science gpa is above a 3.8 but my non-science is around a 2.7. I've gotten A's in just about everything since then, my record is heavy with upper level science courses. What do you think? Thanks :confused:

I think you'll be fine - more than fine. Sure, some schools might skip you over by cursory glance, but those that take a closer look will def. notice the huge improvement. Hopefully, you have some great ECS and LORS as well...I think you'll be a strong candidate.

b

Great job to pull out a 3.2 with all those Fs on your transcript. You have a good shot at getting into med school with those stats. You must have an incredible upward trend in your GPA.

You just need a good explanation for the blown semesters and a great personal statement. Something dramatic must have happened that you have corrected since then and are sure will not ever happen again. Also be sure to apply strategically to the schools that won't rule you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Conquistador said:
hey, Ill be applying at the end of this summer. I took the mcat already (32P) but my gpa is around a 3.2 right now. I don't know how adcoms will look at my gpa though because of my academic record. My first year in college i failed 6 classes, the spring semester of that year i decided school wasnt for me and left, without bothering to withdraw (hence the F's). I thought i would never go back to school. I did go back however the next fall under pressure from my parents and had to pull a 3.95 to lift my academic probation. I did that and decided to do the same for the rest of my semesters. The F's that year were in general freshman courses like english, history, theatre, etc. Because of this my science gpa is above a 3.8 but my non-science is around a 2.7. I've gotten A's in just about everything since then, my record is heavy with upper level science courses. What do you think? Thanks :confused:

Before you go any further, I think you need to reflect on why you want to apply to med school. The fact that you had no interest in school and the only reason why you returned was due to pressure from your parents is cause for concern to me. Definately don't get into this long process on your parents' account--it's your life and you don't want to be miserable.

"Before you go any further, I think you need to reflect on why you want to apply to med school. The fact that you had no interest in school and the only reason why you returned was due to pressure from your parents is cause for concern to me. Definately don't get into this long process on your parents' account--it's your life and you don't want to be miserable."

Thanks for your input. The reason I left school was to pursue music. I actually recorded a solo classical guitar album during that year and thought that that was what I wanted from my life. I realized, with help from my parents that I wanted something more. I have always wanted to work in medicine/science. My parents didn't force me to be premed, they just didn't want me to sit around and play guitar all day.

I think your freshman year can be easily explained away in your personal statement and your interview. You pursued what you wanted to do at the time, but for the next 3 years it looks like you have dedicated yourself to getting into school. If your science gpa is above a 3.8 and you scored a 32 on your MCAT, I would say you are in good shape to get in some place. I would apply to a broad range of schools and also apply early. Good luck.

I think that you'll do very well. Just make sure to apply to a really wide range of schools -- not necessarily a huge number, just a nice broad range. Good luck!