Need Advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twinkle09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI
i am a college junior from FL. I am now thinking of applying med schools in caribbean.I've taken all the requirements(biology,physics, chem, eng and math), and have finished 90+credits. My Science GPA is 3.78.What are my chances of getting into med school without MCAT and B.S degree?and Which schools will accept without MCAT and B.S degree?(which schools should i apply)
:) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Twinkle09,

This is an extremely common question. The truth of the matter is that you can find Caribbean schools that will accept you without a Bachelor's degree, but no one ever recommends this.

To get into one of the big 3, you will need a Bachelors degree and MCAT score. The reason for the Bachelors degree is that some states will not license you without one -- if you go to a foreign school.

There are other Caribbean schools which really look like they have their act together -- SABA, MUA, St. Eust, and St. Matthews. Many of these don't require Bachelors but you could be in trouble come licensing time.

So, get that Bachelors degree. Even if you feel the need to take the easiest courses in the university, a BA or BS still protects you in the long run.

My prediction is that St. Matthews will become an extremely big school. Out of the new schools, they seem to really be on the ball. Plus, their located in the Cayman islands which is gorgeous! Also, because they are new admission standards are very low. This won't always be the case.

I believe that every person is entitled to his or her own decision, but I must caution you. It would be wise to apply to a US medical school first. Taking shortcuts now could cost you later. With the exception of internal medicine and family practice, graduates of Caribbean schools must significantly outscore their US counterparts for residency positions. Fellowships are a different story but I won't go into that. Now, in truth, the big 3 schools have methods that give us some advantages over our US counterparts when it comes to stats. But you want to avoid having to go through this.

Plus, it is expensive to go to a Caribbean school. The total tuition for Ross or AUC is about $95,000 (and going up). You also get about 32K a year in loans for living expenses from AUC. In truth, this is more than you need. But still, in my case at AUC, I am maxing out my loans. I will be 190K in debt. If I had gone to my state medical school, I would be about 80K. So, you see the difference.

Just be patient and take your time. With stats like yours, the Caribbean will always be there.

Twinkle09 said:
HI
i am a college junior from FL. I am now thinking of applying med schools in caribbean.I've taken all the requirements(biology,physics, chem, eng and math), and have finished 90+credits. My Science GPA is 3.78.What are my chances of getting into med school without MCAT and B.S degree?and Which schools will accept without MCAT and B.S degree?(which schools should i apply)
:) Thanks!

Honestly, I think you should take the MCAT...considering you have all the pre-reqs, it really shouldn't be all that hard for you to master. If you are really concerned, buy a Kaplan or Princeton Review book and study the hell out of it, or even take a Kaplan MCAT course (about $1000). If you do well, you could simply finish your BS degree, and apply to American schools instead of going through all the hassle of getting your MD at a carib place. If you do poorly, you can just apply to carib schools without submitting your MCAT score. I assume the caribbean route is full of discrimination and difficult times getting placements for residencies after you are done because of the stigma associated with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
leviathan said:
Honestly, I think you should take the MCAT...considering you have all the pre-reqs, it really shouldn't be all that hard for you to master. If you are really concerned, buy a Kaplan or Princeton Review book and study the hell out of it, or even take a Kaplan MCAT course (about $1000). If you do well, you could simply finish your BS degree, and apply to American schools instead of going through all the hassle of getting your MD at a carib place. If you do poorly, you can just apply to carib schools without submitting your MCAT score. I assume the caribbean route is full of discrimination and difficult times getting placements for residencies after you are done because of the stigma associated with it.
I agree. Why go through all the hassle to be discriminated against. Avoid the caribbean at all costs if you can and first try for a US medical school, MD or DO.

Luck said:
I agree. Why go through all the hassle to be discriminated against. Avoid the caribbean at all costs if you can and first try for a US medical school, MD or DO.

***Sigh*** Some people never learn

Aucdoctobe said:
***Sigh*** Some people never learn
Never learn about what? Look it is obvious we have different opinions. Many people like me believe that you should avoid the caribbean at all costs. People like you enjoy living in the caribbean and want to go there.

Just because my opinion is different from yours doesn't mean I'm insecure with my decision and it doesn't mean that my opinion doesn't count. You have to learn not to put down other people's opinions just because you don't believe it.

Deal with it because you are probably going to have to deal with the stigma of the caribbean for the rest of your life and there will always be people who view it as lower than US trained doctors, just like there are people who think DOs are lower than US trained MDs.

Good luck at AUC. :luck:

It's really hard to get into US med schools( i guess). In 2003, over 2600 ppl applied to uni of miami, and only 140 ppl got accepted.(only 24% of them are Asians :(i am so depressed ) There are 4 med schools in FL(uni of FL,uni of South FL, FL state uni,and uni of miami) and i heard that it's pretty hard to get into those schools.
i dunno what to do. my advisor wants me to take MCAT in April(2005).i am really confused right now. :(

Twinkle09 said:
i dunno what to do. my advisor wants me to take MCAT in April(2005).i am really confused right now. :(
Why are you confused? Take the mcat in 2005. Apply to US allopathic schools. Apply to caribbean schools as a backup. If you don't get into either of these, go Luck's route and get a DO degree.

I agree with everyone else. Finish your undergrad degree and take the MCATs. Even if you don't do so hot on your MCATs you can still get into some carib school or DO school and become a doctor. Knowing you have viable alternatives to a US MD school should take the pressure off when you take the MCATs. As long as you study hard you'll probably do a better. A lot of people (myself included) go into the MCATs thinking if I don't rock this there goes my opportunity to become a physician. Having that attitude only adds a ton of anxiety and will most likely lead to poor performance. Also consider what would happen if you left school early without a bachelors, got to med school and for whatever reason didn't finish. You'd be left with virtually nothing except for debt. So basically don't stress over any decision to leave school early because frankly that shouldn't even be a consideration. Good luck.

Hi guys :)
thanks for the advices!
I think I'll take the MCAT and finish up my bachelors. I will apply to caribbean schools as a backup.Some people say it's hard to get 25> on MCAT.Is it true?I use kaplan review notes and exam krackers. for me, General Chem is really hard! :(

I would agree with everything AucDoc said, except one. I don't think you necessarily need your bach degree. Even if med school doesn't work out, you could always go back and get your b.s.

and this thing about state licensing boards requiring a bach degree is overstated. most adults in my extended family are physicians, graduated from indian med schools and went directly from h.s. to med school, and a couple of them are even licensed in cali. (not to mention all over the place, just using cali as an extreme example since it's tough to break into med there)

Sandeep,

I just read your thread about me. It is obvious I hold a different opinion from you regarding caribbean schools. Just because this is the case, does not mean you have to personally attack me. I only hope that we may continue to discuss things in a manner such that premeds review all their options when choosing a medical school, whether it is MD, DO, or caribbean MD.

Better idea: why don't you retreat to your DO forum where you can espouse your views and leave alone the people who come here for info and advice on caribbean schools?

Short answer: because you didn't have the courage or intestinal fortitude to go to the Caribbean and you hate that other people do. Simple as that.

And you are upset that people come back from the carib and get an m.d. after their name while people mainly think of Homer Simpson when they see the letters after yours.

No amount of rational discussion will relieve this insecurity of yours. Not here anyway, maybe at your finest local psychiatrist (who is an MD of course) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sandeep2000 said:
Better idea: why don't you retreat to your DO forum where you can espouse your views and leave alone the people who come here for info and advice on caribbean schools?

Short answer: because you didn't have the courage or intestinal fortitude to go to the Caribbean and you hate that other people do. Simple as that.

And you are upset that people come back from the carib and get an m.d. after their name while people mainly think of Homer Simpson when they see the letters after yours.

No amount of rational discussion will relieve this insecurity of yours. Not here anyway, maybe at your finest local psychiatrist (who is an MD of course) :laugh:
I will repeat. I am very happy with being a DO and my stats could have easily gotten me into an MD school in the US.

I guess giving you a civilized response still illicits vicious comments from you. :rolleyes:

Twinkle09 said:
Hi guys :)
thanks for the advices!
I think I'll take the MCAT and finish up my bachelors. I will apply to caribbean schools as a backup.Some people say it's hard to get 25> on MCAT.Is it true?I use kaplan review notes and exam krackers. for me, General Chem is really hard! :(

You've made a wise decision! Like mentioned in another post, you'll need your bachelor's and MCAT whether you apply to U.S. schools or the more established Caribbean schools. You have a solid GPA, so scoring above a 25 is very likely if you put the time into studying for the MCAT. Also, here's a little encouragement. If you look in the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements put out by the AAMC), you will see that about 40% of applicants get at least one acceptance somewhere (at least that's what it was when I was applying a few years ago). The key is to apply broadly. I have a friend whose stats weren't too stellar, yet applied to 40+ schools, interviewed at three, and got that one acceptance. But, all it takes is one, right? Just keep in mind that the application process with all the secondary apps and traveling for interviews can get expensive.

Just as you go around making fun of DOs as being equivalent to Homer Simpson, you do realize that your attendings/residents/med school "friends" (put in parenthesis purposely...think about it) look at you and think "Oh great...another freakin' indian doc!" while you DESPERATELY try to quietly scream at them "no...no...I am a coconunt...really, I am..."

I was accepted into MD institutions (UVA and Rush) and chose to go into A SCHOOL IRRESPECTIVE of the initials after my name because I like the school. You are like those old fashioned attendings who think that DOs are inferior physicians, similar to those old fashioned attendings who think that women shouldn't be in science, but rather in the kitchen! However, you fail to realize that it is MDs like yourself that are truly the INFERIOR physicians since you care more about the initials after your name rather than the pursuit of medicine itself.

Ask yourself this: would you still be a physician if you had a DO after your name....the answer is likely going to be "no".....and that answer answers ALL of my questions/concerns....THAT IS THE MARK OF AN INFERIOR PHYSICIAN!!

Is it the love of medicine or the love of the "M' and "D" initials? I did it for the love of medicine.....what about you!?!? You can say whatever you want on this forum and reply all you want about how passionate you are about medicine, but: 1) you can't lie to yourself, and 2) your words/actions have already spoken for you!

What a superficial, narrow-minded, arrogant p***k you are!!

I pity people like you and feel sorry for the patients that you will see someday, since I can see the level of compassion and the type of assumptions you make.....let me guess...you also make assumptions about your future patients...."Gee...I don't wanna see a black person, b/c they may not have insurance!"

Of course, I am making assumptions also...why shouldn't I...but the difference b/w your assumptions and mine is the fact that you make assumptions WITHOUT any basis for what you are saying, whereas I am making assumptions about you BASED on the evidence you provide me about yourself through your actions!!

WHAT A PATHETIC, SORRY PERSON YOU ARE!!!

BTW...I am indian myself....BUT VERY VERY different than Sandeep2000 (THANK THE GOOD LORD FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

lol...

Welcome Medlaw. There is always drama on a Caribbean forum.

What's up Auc.....

BTW to EVERYONE......if there are people interested in the caribbean issue FROM A NEUTRAL PERSPECTIVe, I would ask AUC.

He has excellent advice WITH A LEVEL HEAD!!!

(there's your plug, Auc....now, where's my $$$) :D :) :D :) :D

There are advantages and disadvantages going the DO or USIMG route. All are welcome to discuss them and explore which options works best for them. That being said, bashing either route or attacking other posters is poor and will not be tolerated.

Let's keep it civil.

Sandeep2000 said:

Big mistake Sandeep. This is a DO-owned, DO-moderated forum. Only Caribbean-route bashing is allowed (see, e.g., any of Luck's posts).

You know I am just a freshman at UA but I love to come here and see all of the Drama. I know that you are not supposed to "bash", but It's kinda funny. My input is this: I think we all need to get along now, because we will all be working together one day. Regardless of DO MD IMG. :love:

Silly threads.

I just hope my own doctor doesn't do that.