Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorstart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I need your advice.
I am 44 years old IMG graduated in 1983 and took USMLE and CSA in 1999/2000 with passing scores although low scores in step 1 and 2 (75 and 78). The CSA (now CS) is expired since Jan 2003. I did not apply for RP and I've been involved with higher education. I am an Associate Professor of a public university here in the US (not medical school). I have some grants for research (NIH, DoD) as principal investigator, and I got a MPH degree. I am in the final process of permanent residency application and I am going to apply for EDA (just in case) which might be available in ~ 2 months. My question is: As I want to go back to practice and I assume I must complete RP in the US, I am wondering what my chances are to be accepted into a residency program (Internal Medicine)? Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

lorstart said:
Hi there,
I need your advice.
I am 44 years old IMG graduated in 1983 and took USMLE and CSA in 1999/2000 with passing scores although low scores in step 1 and 2 (75 and 78). The CSA (now CS) is expired since Jan 2003. I did not apply for RP and I've been involved with higher education. I am an Associate Professor of a public university here in the US (not medical school). I have some grants for research (NIH, DoD) as principal investigator, and I got a MPH degree. I am in the final process of permanent residency application and I am going to apply for EDA (just in case) which might be available in ~ 2 months. My question is: As I want to go back to practice and I assume I must complete RP in the US, I am wondering what my chances are to be accepted into a residency program (Internal Medicine)? Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Well, the simple answer is that you'll never know unless you try. There are heaps of IM spots in the US and if you aren't geographically bound to one area, your options dramatically increase.

I suppose the first step is to retake the CSA and get your ECFMG certification. Consider taking Step 3 as well because you are required to have taken all 3 steps within 7 years - your deadline is rapidly approaching if you took Step 1 in 1999.

Since I'm not sure what RP is, I can't advise you on that.

You'll need letters of recommendation; do you know any US physicians who would be in a good position to judge your clinical/medical skills?

If you are serious about the process, get all your exams in line and up to date and give the NRMP a shot.

Kimberli Cox said:
Well, the simple answer is that you'll never know unless you try. There are heaps of IM spots in the US and if you aren't geographically bound to one area, your options dramatically increase.

I suppose the first step is to retake the CSA and get your ECFMG certification. Consider taking Step 3 as well because you are required to have taken all 3 steps within 7 years - your deadline is rapidly approaching if you took Step 1 in 1999.

Since I'm not sure what RP is, I can't advise you on that.

You'll need letters of recommendation; do you know any US physicians who would be in a good position to judge your clinical/medical skills?

If you are serious about the process, get all your exams in line and up to date and give the NRMP a shot.

RP = residency program.
When you say give the NRMP a shot you mean right now or for next year?
Thank you for your answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
lorstart said:
RP = residency program.
When you say give the NRMP a shot you mean right now or for next year?
Thank you for your answer.

Def next year.
You have missed the bus for this year.
Check out the eras/ecfmg website for timelines and take your exams accordingly.
I know of numerous img's with scores like yours who have matched.
Just apply widely, early and broadly.
There is a ton of information in this forum which you can utilise to your advantage.
Later

Thank you.

Santiago said:
Def next year.
You have missed the bus for this year.
Check out the eras/ecfmg website for timelines and take your exams accordingly.
I know of numerous img's with scores like yours who have matched.
Just apply widely, early and broadly.
There is a ton of information in this forum which you can utilise to your advantage.
Later