Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After taking an impossible ochem exam today that I know I failed, it looks like I'm going to end up with a C in the class. So, I'm trying to decide right now if I should even bother taking the second semester. I'm not a natural science major, so I'm not required to take it. Two quick questions: First, how damaging is a C in one of the prerequisite science courses, and how much of the second semester of ochem directly relates to the first semester? In other words, would it even be possible to get an A or high B in the second half after getting a bad grade in the first semester of the course?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If your other grades are good, one C won't affect your application. Plenty of people get Cs and get accepted. You should know the basics for semester 2, basic reaction types, things like charility. I doubt anyone remembers all the semester 1 reactions after they walk out of a test. Just know the fundamentals concepts that you learned at the very beginning, and you'll be fine.

A C is not good, but like the previous poster said, it's not going to kill you if the rest of your academics look great. The problem with getting a C in Ochem, however, is that it's such an important part of your prereqs. Pretty important class. Judge for yourself. As far as Ochem 2: you need to understand the basic concepts of 1, like how electrons move and basic stereochemistry. It is also helpful to know some BASIC rxns, acids, bases, etc. But I feel you can take 2 w/o rocking 1, just as long as you feel like you got the general gist of 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
i can see two option which one is the one goes stillskin or 1 which one which one help
if u want to keep the r 1 going there is another option which one which one??

my grand father said good advice do i use that one ???????

Oh yeah, that was great advice... yay!

do u even know what i am talking

Never - not one iota.

JustR said:
i can see two option which one is the one goes stillskin or 1 which one which one help
if u want to keep the r 1 going there is another option which one which one??

:confused:

i think for most med schools you need both semesters of ochem. that being said first and second semesters aren't that correlated. i got a B+ in first sem, and an A in second sem. and a C won't kill you, it'll just raise questions.

and JustR, slow down when you type. as is, we cannot understand what you're saying.

Talk to your professor.
At our school, if you screw up the last exam, (the one before the final), then you messed up on your synthesis reactions. Here, 80% or more of Orgo 2 is synthesis. If you are on a similar curriculum, then your screw up could mean one of three things:
1) You have a general difficulty with synthesis, and you will need to work really hard to understand it. This means that Orgo 2 will likely be quite difficult for you. The good news is that it would not be much easier if you retook orgo 1.
2) You had a specific difficulty with this material (or with something in your life) that prevented you from doing well. The good news is that you can practice this material over the break & all the new reactions you will learn next semester will be *new*. Your difficulty may not carry over to orgo 2.
3) You have a general difficulty with orgo. Do you have a C because you struggled all semester, with this last test just being the worst of a series of mediocre performances? If this is the case, then it is reasonable to believe that next semester will be as difficult, or worse, than this semester. You would benefit most by retaking the course or working VERY dillegently over the break on all things organic.

Good luck