Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentinterest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 33. A Georgia (USA) resident. A junior with a 3.14 overall GPA, but my instituional GPA is 3.41. (it took me a while to realize school was important) I recently decided to switch from film to medicine. I am considering doing a nursing BS and then trying for med school.

1. Is this realistic?

2. Would a pre-med Biology degree be more appropriate?

3. Also, will the fact that I am Cherokee be helpful in being accepted? (Go ahead and be honest. Whether it's fair or not, it's a factor and I wouldn't want to miss out on any opportunities.)

Thanks, to all those that will respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you're 33 meaning you've been out of the game for a while. Which isn't a bad thing, you just have to get back into the studying/school mindset. You're grades aren't bad, but could use a little work. If you are dedicated to medicine then go for it. Study hard for the MCAT as it will be the cornerstone of your app. Make sure you have good ECs too, like volunteering, shadowing, etc. It might not even be a bad idea to get a post-bac degree to get you warmed up, but thats just my opinion. Either way, good luck! :luck:

I think you'll be fine as long as you prepare well for the MCAT. As far as the major goes, it doesn't matter what it is as long as you have good science foundation.

Members don't see this ad :)
studentinterest said:
I'm 33. A Georgia (USA) resident. A junior with a 3.14 overall GPA, but my instituional GPA is 3.41. (it took me a while to realize school was important) I recently decided to switch from film to medicine. I am considering doing a nursing BS and then trying for med school.

1. Is this realistic?

3. Also, will the fact that I am Cherokee be helpful in being accepted? (Go ahead and be honest. Whether it's fair or not, it's a factor and I wouldn't want to miss out on any opportunities.)

1. Yes, but it depends on how long you plan on living...I would pursue one or the other.

2. Yes, if it boosts your GPA. No, if it means you taking any more meaningless undergrad credits before jumping to the stuff you will actually use in medicine.

3. Yes. This is big. American Indians are a very URM and I would definitely use this to my advantage if I were you.

what is your BCMP GPA? If theoretically you do not get accepted when applying in the summer of your junior year (you shouyld be applying now if you want to matriculate right into med school) apply again right after you graduate. But in the meanwhile, also apply to special masters programs (PM if you need more info, or visit the postbac forums, or google it or http://services.aamc.org/postbac, you get the idea) starting in January of your Senior year. Your GPA is a bit on the weak side, and an SMP is viable solution to that.

Is this a good year to begin shadowing (Junior)?

I was planning on taking the MCAT the summer before my senior year. Is that too soon or too late?

As a fellow Georgian, I would highly recommend you contact both MCG and Mercer and find out what their admissions requirements are. Both give a HUGE preference to in-state residents (MCG takes something like 95% of their class every year from in-state applicants) which would probably take a little of the pressure off you.

That said, I agree with the other posters that your MCAT will be the anchor of your app at this point. Yes, you can take it right as you start your senior year, but be aware that med schools for the most part run on rolling admissions, and the August MCAT will mean your application won't be 100% complete until the scores come out. However, if you feel that you won't have time to adequately prepare for an earlier one, don't rush yourself. Take the MCAT when you feel ready. Good luck!

LauraPaz said:
As a fellow Georgian, I would highly recommend you contact both MCG and Mercer and find out what their admissions requirements are. Both give a HUGE preference to in-state residents (MCG takes something like 95% of their class every year from in-state applicants) which would probably take a little of the pressure off you.

That said, I agree with the other posters that your MCAT will be the anchor of your app at this point. Yes, you can take it right as you start your senior year, but be aware that med schools for the most part run on rolling admissions, and the August MCAT will mean your application won't be 100% complete until the scores come out. However, if you feel that you won't have time to adequately prepare for an earlier one, don't rush yourself. Take the MCAT when you feel ready. Good luck!
i think by then the CBT MCAT will be in effect, and things should be much faster. Im too lazy to check, but they offer more dates in the year too.

braluk said:
i think by then the CBT MCAT will be in effect, and things should be much faster. Im too lazy to check, but they offer more dates in the year too.

Oh that's right, I keep forgetting they're changing that soon. Well, guess that just gives more options for you!

studentinterest said:

Are you planning to work as a nurse prior to med school? The clinical experience can be an advantage for you as part of your EC's. I was in allied health and most of the interviews I went to alluded to my clinical experience as a positive factor.

studentinterest said:

1. Is this realistic?

1. Yes, it is realistic. Also look into DO school which seems to be noted as being fond of older applicants or applicants who have had previous careers.

2. I think the film major is very interesting. If film is a passion and biology is not, then stick with film while making sure to take your med school pre reqs. I definitely agree with the previous poster who said to not take any more credits than you need in order to graduate as soon as possible. Personally, I wouldn't go for the nursing degree. Unless you ultimately want to become a nurse if you don't get into medical school.

3. A URM status is helpful.

As for shadowing, go ahead and start doing it as soon as you can. Make sure you have some medically related experience to show that you know what medicine involves. Also consider shadowing nurses/vets/dentists. It makes for interesting interview conversation. I shadowed a vet just to be sure that I didn't want to become a vet. It will also give you knowledge to how other health care fields operate. Find some volunteer activities that don't necessarily have to be health care related as long as you show compassion. i.e. boys and girls club, habitat for humanity, etc. Chose 1-3 activities and be dedicated to them. You can even join your film club as long as your show sufficient dedication/knowledge, they make good ECs.

Someone mentioned BCPM. Many schools look at this as a better determining factor than your overall GPA. Since your are a film major, is it possible that you have not taken many biology, chemistry, physics, and math courses? This may significantly boost your BCPM GPA if you ace all your pre req courses.

Good Luck.

I would strongly urge against nursing. Nursing is an excellent career and very much in demand, but it is not a "stepping stone" to medicine. A nursing background will be a great asset as you apply to medical school if you have years of clinical experience as a nurse. A BSN alone will not kick open any doors. In fact, folks with a BSN alone used to have one of the lowest acceptance rates of any major.

At 33, if you're interested in becoming a doctor, work hard, get good grades and do the volunteer thing. Entering another career (nursing) with the intent to switch careers again (to medicine) might not be viewed very highly.

Thanks for the generous advice. I may do the pre-reqs and continue with the film. I never thought it was an option.

I will be in Russia filming medical orgs working with the AIDS population there.
Is there a way to use this for a form of med experience?

What about other foreign aid work, tsunami, etc.?

studentinterest said:
Thanks for the generous advice. I may do the pre-reqs and continue with the film. I never thought it was an option.

I will be in Russia filming medical orgs working with the AIDS population there.
Is there a way to use this for a form of med experience?

What about other foreign aid work, tsunami, etc.?

I think filming in Russia will be an amazing EC for you. Just make sure at some point (while in Russia or while volunteering at a local ER) that you have some hands on patient contact.

All volunteer work is beneficial and make good ECs if you are passionate about what you are doing. It doens't necessarily have to be a big foreign aid project. It can be about organizing a group to clean trash from local public areas: parks, beaches, etc. Or it can be about making public education commercials. Find something that interests you, no matter how big or small and be dedicated to it.