Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey folks,

I just found out that I have gotten D+ for Biochem 2 and C for cell bio. and all A on other upper-division Bio courses, like the microbiology. For the past few years, I have gotten Cs in physics 2 and Orgo. Until now, I finally learned that I need to change my study habit and put extra effort into it. Furthermore, I am currently a Junior and will be enrolling as a senior in the fall semester majoring in biochemistry.

For this summer, I am working about 20 hours a week and studying 7 hours for MCAT with two hours at the gym. Is 7 hours enough for the MCAT everyday? Since I know I won't be able to get into the med school next year, so I am taking the MCAT around end of the Aug. and start of Sept.

In order to improve my science GPA, I have registered many upper division Bio courses such as the neurobio, cancer bio, cell signaling and so on in addition to the statistics ( it will be counted to science GPA, right?). I am confident that I will do well in those courses, since I have tried my new study habit last few weeks to be able to ace the microbiology final and Human evolution final. ( How I wish to use it at the beginning of the freshman year, and it took almost 3 years to change about it... sigh..:()

and I am planning to stay one more year to retake those courses and I have gotten Cs and D.

What do you make of it? is it a good plan to prove myself? please give your opinions, suggestions and advices. I would be very much grateful.

Thank you in advance

D

Members don't see this ad.

If you're studying 7 hours a DAY for the MCAT for an entire summer, I think you'll be ready for the test. However, make your MCAT study hours count. Focus, focus, focus. You've managed C's in all the prereqs except Gen Chem. Spend the time to relearn the material and relearn it well.

But is taking one more year to retake the classes a good idea or not? or should I just take the Master's?

advices please folks?!

Members don't see this ad :)
isnt there a policy on retakes? i thought oyu could only retake if you got a F?

At my school, you can retake classes no matter the grade you got but there is a limit on the number of classes you can do this with.

Taking a full year to do retakes will only help if you're applying to DO schools. It won't help Allo applicants. Look at doing a SMP before you think of doing a masters. In general, I think it's a waste of you time to take a year off just to do retakes.

Taking a full year to do retakes will only help if you're applying to DO schools. It won't help Allo applicants. Look at doing a SMP before you think of doing a masters. In general, I think it's a waste of you time to take a year off just to do retakes.

Of course it'll help allo applicants, not just to the same extent. They'll average the retake for allo schools, and replace for osteo schools. However, being able to show a set of As for all your prereqs, even if it is the second time through looks a lot better subjectively than a bunch of Cs, not to mention the numerical effect it would have on your BCPM.

Of course it'll help allo applicants, not just to the same extent. They'll average the retake for allo schools, and replace for osteo schools. However, being able to show a set of As for all your prereqs, even if it is the second time through looks a lot better subjectively than a bunch of Cs, not to mention the numerical effect it would have on your BCPM.
"Help" is subjective.
1. If you're about to be a senior/are a senior retaking two or three classes will hardly bring up your GPA. You'll need a TON more classes than that.
2. Why go back to school JUST for retakes? If you're planning DO and would be more than happy with that, go for it. Those retakes will look great.
3. They'll see A's and the old grades for retakes...I don't think adcoms will single out your pre-regs unless you're not a science major. Do well in the upper level bio classes you have lined up.