Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isupsych253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So here's my story:

I will graduate in December with a BA in psychology and had plans to apply to clinical psych PhD programs this fall, but the last month or so I've met with some friends of the family who are MD's and I am strongly considering going the med school route (psychiatry) instead of the psychology.

Anyways, because I've been planning on going into clinical psych, I don't have anywhere near the pre-reqs for med school. Like I said, I graduate in December...so what is the quickest way for me to take the necessary pre-reqs and apply to med school? I've got a pretty good cGPA right now (above 3.5), but it does me no good w/o the pre-reqs. How should I schedule all of the classes? Can I take some 8 week courses to get them finished sooner? Are there any schools that, perhaps, don't require as many pre-reqs? ANY and ALL advice is valuable to me, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So here's my story:

I will graduate in December with a BA in psychology and had plans to apply to clinical psych PhD programs this fall, but the last month or so I've met with some friends of the family who are MD's and I am strongly considering going the med school route (psychiatry) instead of the psychology.

Anyways, because I've been planning on going into clinical psych, I don't have anywhere near the pre-reqs for med school. Like I said, I graduate in December...so what is the quickest way for me to take the necessary pre-reqs and apply to med school? I've got a pretty good cGPA right now (above 3.5), but it does me no good w/o the pre-reqs. How should I schedule all of the classes? Can I take some 8 week courses to get them finished sooner? Are there any schools that, perhaps, don't require as many pre-reqs? ANY and ALL advice is valuable to me, thanks!

There's no fast way to do it. At a an absolute minimum, you have 8 science classes to take. It will take 4 semesters to finish the chem requirements. And what about the mcat? If you're just deciding this now, you have a lot to do. Gotta get in ECs, take the pre reqs, and take the mcat. I would enroll in chem 1 and bio 1 next semester, if your load permits. If not, just take chem 1. Like I said, you have a lot of chem to take, so you should get on it ASAP.

However, you might want to make sure that medicine is the field for you. I wouldn't want you to jump right into it and waste time and money on unnecessary classes. I would find a volunteer position at a hospital, talk to your family friends, and do whatever else you can to make sure that you really do wanna go to med school.

So ya, start volunteering, and depending on how sure you about medicine, fit in a pre req or 2 this fall.

Thank you for your response. When you say I need 4 semesters of chemistry, do you mean each class must be taken before the next? Or can you take some of the chemistry courses at the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could potentially take Chem 1 and Ochem 1 together in one semester. Then, the next semester take Chem 2 and Ochem 2 together. But I would, by no means, recommend this to a friend. There is simply no reason to rush.

You could potentially take Chem 1 and Ochem 1 together in one semester. Then, the next semester take Chem 2 and Ochem 2 together. But I would, by no means, recommend this to a friend. There is simply no reason to rush.

Yes, the 4 chems build on each other. So it would definitely be preferrable to take them one at a time. Ideally, you want to have taken all 4 before you take the mcat. The chem is definitely the rate determining step for you. :rolleyes:

Take chem I ASAP.

Yes, the 4 chems build on each other. So it would definitely be preferrable to take them one at a time. Ideally, you want to have taken all 4 before you take the mcat. The chem is definitely the rate determining step for you. :rolleyes:

Take chem I ASAP.

:thumbup:

Chemistry is a prerequisite for ochem so that is impossible.

Chemistry is a prerequisite for ochem so that is impossible.

Sometimes universities will make exceptions in unique circumstances, and I think this would be considered one of them. However, I would never wish it upon anyone that they have to take organic before they've completed gen chem.

Yes but usually the exceptions are for people who tested out of something, or it doesn't apply for some reason. I have not heard of someone getting out of taking a pre-req outright without reason.

As far as taking all of your prereqs at once: be careful. These are not simply boxes to check off, as their grades will affect your chances of acceptance as well. Don't overburden your academic load.

Hi,

So here's my story:

Isn't the OP's situation the reason that there are post-bacs?
Graduate on time and do post-bac

Yes but usually the exceptions are for people who tested out of something, or it doesn't apply for some reason. I have not heard of someone getting out of taking a pre-req outright without reason.

As far as taking all of your prereqs at once: be careful. These are not simply boxes to check off, as their grades will affect your chances of acceptance as well. Don't overburden your academic load.

:thumbup:

On top of the chemistry, most med schools require physics, biology, and calculus? Is that correct? Do all schools require calc?