Need advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sophocles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to take the MCAT this summer (non-negotiable) but timing is not on my side. I have finished chem, orgo, and bio. I'm currently retaking bio to ensure I have a solid foundation, as well as starting on physics. My options are taking the MCAT either May 31 or June 24.

The problem:
My school's spring semester ends on May 11 and summer can either begin on the 21 of May or the 11th of June. This depends on me, whether or not I would rather take a 12 week or 9 week semester. (I have to take summer to graduate on time). Therefore, the break between semesters is not even a full 30 days for me to study for the MCAT. I was thinking I could take the MCAT on May 31st but this is only 20 days after I finish my spring semester. Not much time to dedicate fully on the MCAT but what is the alternative? (I cannot delay another year due to personal reasons).

I figured since I will be taking Physics and retaking Bio this will help me on the MCAT. I can also spend a few hours during the regular spring semester, but I doubt that I will be able to dedicate the amount of time needed. Any constructive advice?? Has anyone else gone through this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similiar situation. I am a nontrad and can not take any time off to study for the mcat. I would prefer it otherwise, but I am forced to study during winter quarter while taking a full course load. The only advice I can give you is the same advice I'm giving myself, suck it up and study. At least you can count your time studying for physics as time spent on the mcat (thats what Im doing with orgo time and it makes it seem slightly less overwhelming). If you are able to get through the review material and take a few full lengths while in school, you can then take those 20 days and do as many full lengths as you can and review them.

Personally, my plan is to get through as much material as possible over winter break, then begin taking fl's and finishing up the material in january. Id suggest given your situation that you use the winter break to your advantage and get through the review material as much as you can.

However you plan to tackle it, good luck.

Yea, I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Anyways, thanks and good luck. I was with 2/3 in Hawaii. Where were you stationed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was with 2/2 out of Lejeune. What materials do you plan on using to study?

My physics tutor told me he did the kaplan program and he scored 33 in the beginning and in the end. Then, when he studied on his own with only the EK's books, he got a 40 on the real thing. So, all I bought was the EK books and a bunch of exams. What kind of schedule are you looking at doing? Or are you just planning on making it up as it goes?

I have the full EK content pack, all the EK 1001's, and the verbal 101 along with textbooks. I am hoping that this material along with all the aamc full lengths (and maybe a few BR full lengths) will be enough.

This might be a bit controversial, but why would you take the MCAT so late? Since you are retaking a class, you might not have a such a good grip on some of the concepts to do so well that you can get a late acceptance to a medical school.

If you're not planning on applying this year, then why don't you wait and take the MCAT super early next year? Applying early has a profoundly positive effect on your medical school application.

I don't understand.. May isn't late whatsoever... As a matter of fact, my school encourages to either take it in May or June. However, I'm waiting until the end of the semester because I have not taken all of my physics; so I will be finishing off my gen physics II in the spring. I'm taking Bio over because of the reputation that my current prof. has; plus my school's committee stated that I have to take it in order to receive support from them... But I'm interested in why you think that May is late?? May is early, August is late..

This might be a bit controversial, but why would you take the MCAT so late? Since you are retaking a class, you might not have a such a good grip on some of the concepts to do so well that you can get a late acceptance to a medical school.

If you're not planning on applying this year, then why don't you wait and take the MCAT super early next year? Applying early has a profoundly positive effect on your medical school application.