need advise! complete noob!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello1223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been thinking about becoming a dentist since high school but I always thought it sounded too intimidating/didn't think I was smart enough, but now I am out of high school and in my first year at community college and I definitely am set on trying to get into dental school. But I started reading around and I heard community college may put me at a disadvantage, but I will be in cc for 2 years and then transfer out to a 4 year

So my question is does it matter what I want to major in? should I major in a science when I transfer out to show that I can handle hard science classes? But I really want to major in Math. I took calc 1 and 2 and I LOVED it - I now tutor some kids at the local 4 year university on calc 1 and 2 and do a bunch of math related extracurriculars
So I'm trying to avoid predental classes so I can take it at the 4 year but I can't now since linear algebra, calc 3 and differential equations at my cc only offers one section for these classes.. which filled up fast and I didn't get any spots :( So I started teaching calc 3 and differential equations to myself in my spare time by watching mit courseware videos and doing practice problems... But now I need some type of challenging class for next year so I guess I have to take chem or physics.. which I tried to avoid cause I'm scared I'll put myself at a disadvantage for admissions

So the ultimate goal is to get into dental school and I want to do whatever it takes to get in, so I just want to know if I'm putting myself at any disadvantage by going to a cc and not wanting to major in a science when I transfer out and by taking chemistry or physics for next year at the cc

I really have no idea what I'm doing or should do so any advice would be helpful!
Thank you!
(& sorry for the long post >__<)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what you major in. Just make sure you kick ass on the DAT. Also make sure that your dental school pre-reqs are counted

Going to community college won't put you out of dental schools. There are very top dental schools that take CC prerequisites, but maybe a few that don't take community college credits at all.

I know some people who went to community college and then went on to great dental schools... UCSF, UCLA, University of Pittsburgh to name a few. Of course, that also means that you have to do very well at the 4-year university and also score competitive scores on the DAT.

There is nothing wrong with not taking science classes at community college and waiting until 4-year universities, but another concern you have to think about is.. if you don't take some science classes now, it may delay you from graduating in the traditional four years that people take to graduate from college. You would be taking classes that maybe most 1st years are taking and need to take all the classes for your major. This requires time to complete because you can only take so many classes within a semester or quarter. Also, I assume that with transferring, certain 4-year universities require certain classes to transfer so you have to take that into consideration.

It all depends on what you want to do. Also, if you love math and want to major in it, you can. Majors don't really matter as much, just as long as you do well in your major and in your prerequisite classes. When you apply for dental school, they calculate 4 GPAs: your cumulative GPA (this includes all of your community college classes and your 4-year university classes), your BCP GPA (strictly biology, chemistry, and physics classes), your Science GPA (any courses considered a science- bio, chem, physics, but also includes math, engineering, etc.), and non-science GPA.

Whatever classes you choose, just do whatever it takes to do well and ace it. If you do this, you will be doing well to work towards applying to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My major is mathematics, and I got accepted. Actually, everyone who interviewed me seemed really impressed with it, which I thought was a bit shocking. They would say things like, "I could ask you how you know you're up for the challenge, but I already know you are, since you're a math major." A large assumption on their part, but it still made me feel good!

Major in what you like; everything else will fall in place.

I think most schools value a diverse student body, and being a math major would definitely set you apart from all the Bio and Biochem majors. Besides, if you really enjoy it you'll do better in it most likely.

you can major in anything really (science, math, biology, writitng, acting, etc etc)... The most important undergrad criterion is GPA (both overall and science). Keep those @ 3.5+ and you won't have trouble getting in.

Thank you all for the advice! I feel so much better, I was really worried before but now I feel more confident!

My major is mathematics, and I got accepted. Actually, everyone who interviewed me seemed really impressed with it, which I thought was a bit shocking. They would say things like, "I could ask you how you know you're up for the challenge, but I already know you are, since you're a math major." A large assumption on their part, but it still made me feel good!

Major in what you like; everything else will fall in place.

Dentalman11, where did you go for undergrad?

OP, welcome! I'd start by reading the thousands of similar posts in archives! As for CC, my best mate from D-school did 2 years at CC and he's one of the smartest people I personally know.