Need advise on post-grad abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alienix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm sorry if this isn't the right sub-forum to post this thread, but there are so many and I got a bit confused!

I am currently in med school in Portugal, and I wanted to do my residence/speciality in the US, Canada, UK or Ireland. Do I need to fill any pre-requisite like an exam or something, or do I need to look into each college in particular?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You would need to look at each institution you're thinking of applying to. These systems are very different. For the US, you would definitely need to complete the USMLE exams (Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS and you really should think about having step 3 completed as well).

Hi everyone

I'm sorry if this isn't the right sub-forum to post this thread, but there are so many and I got a bit confused!

I am currently in med school in Portugal, and I wanted to do my residence/speciality in the US, Canada, UK or Ireland. Do I need to fill any pre-requisite like an exam or something, or do I need to look into each college in particular?

Thank you!

Thank you leorl, I will try to inform myself of the requirements of each country.

Members don't see this ad :)
For Canada you'll need to write the MCCEE exams to qualify for the MCQE.

More fundamentally, you must be a Canadian citizen / permanent resident to apply for Canadian residency training.

Canada seems really restrict..After doing the USMLE, would it be viable for me to do the internship in my home country and then apply for the speciality in the US, or do I need to do the internship in a US hospital? Also, would I apply to each university in particular, requiring letter of recommendation, etc, or would I be able to choose the university according to my USMLE score?

I have got a call from univ of Glasgow for adm in msc oral and maxillofacial surgery of two yearS and 360credits.should I go for it?r the future job prospects good after doing this.