Need Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedDreaming

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am slightly lost on where to start with my application for next years cycle. I have a cGPA of 3.58 and a sGPA of 3.51, but I have a downward trend of 3.50, 2.89, and 3.36 ( 19 credits all science courses in my last semester). My MCAT is a 500 which I am retaking in January.
Volunteering/ EC
- 1500 hours phlebotomy
- 600 hours as a psychiatric RCA
- 400 of coaching football and wrestling
- 80 hour shadowing physicians
- 36 hours volunteering with underprivileged children
- 4000 hours working as an agricultural mechanic
- 50 clinical volunteering in a hospital

I know improving my MCAT should be my first goal, but I am looking into doing a DIY post bacc program to improve my GPA slightly and improve my trend. I stumbled across the idea of doing a MLS post bacc and I am unable to determine if it is a good idea. I have experience working directly with med techs and know what the work is like, however; I am unsure if doing this as a second degree will help me with my journey to medical school. The main upside to the degree is I will be employable if this next cycle doesn't work and I have to apply again. The down side to the degree is all of the course work fall under allied health and will not help my science GPA, or help improve my case of showing that my downward trend was caused by my poor response to external factors and that I have grown as a person since then. I am just looking for advise on what my next step should be to be a better applicant and be employable if I need to reapply.

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine for some DO schools. A higher MCAT score (≥ 505) can offset the downward trend.

Do a DIY post bacc to raise your cGPA/sGPA past 3.6, and score ≥ 512 if you're planning to apply to MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
EC’s are good, might want to add some additional non-clinical volunteering hours to the number you listed. Also try to shadow a D.O. If you can and secure that LOR. GPA overall is fine for D.O. Schools, current MCAT would be competitive at newer D.O. Schools or any with 498-502 average but with improvement that could open more doors.

Your ultimate goal is to go to medical school so I would personally choose the DIY post-bacc over the MLS post bacc. Scribing, STNA, MA and other jobs are common for students wanting to go to medical school that do not require a post bacc to complete (although they do require some form of training). Just make sure if you end up doing the post bacc that you knock it out of the park! Good luck!

If you applied with current stats all over the country, you'd get in somewhere decent and prob a couple new schools.
An MCAT re-take with a 500 isn't a bad idea though - however, a DROP and that probably means game over.